Dred Recipe

Soft Expanding Polyurethane Foam from monster makers. Can anyone tell me if this is right. and what are some ideas for making the mold. with lots of dreads so you dont have to do one at a time.

I've never tried it....but i think polyurethane foam would still be too rigid to give you the movement needed to create dreads.........even the flexible stuff seems too rigid......it's soft to the point where you can squash it......but i dont think it would flex enough.
I think silicone foam would be the way to go........Smooth on do a silicone foam called "soma foama".......it expands four times its original volume......and it can be cast into platinum cure silicone mould......so you wont get any seams
and because it is silicone.......you KNOW it will move EXACTLY how you want it to!

soma foam will expand only 4 times its volume so that dread will be about 8 oz.per dread times 40 dreads you do the math
a little heavy and still wont have the movement
most dreads only way 1 oz.
there many ways to do molds
aluminium to much cash
silicone they dont last more then 2 sets of dreads and you still have a mold line
ultra cal 30 cheap if you can get a good seal the mold lines wont be bad thay take a little extra prep .used to make the real P1s
or the outher way I use -you can email me
and yes all the dreads are made from the two part cold foam
do you realy want to do dreads

I was told by a guy that actually worked for ADI on AVP that the way I was thinking of making them is the exact same method they used. First you use a pool cue and taper it to more of a point on the end. Then you put the pool cue in a 3" dia PVC pipe caping off the bottom and securing it so it hangs inside it a few inches from the bottom. Then pour the silcone in it and once its cured pull the pool cue out and pour the cold foam into it. And from what I undersatn it was a one piece mold so no seam lines they just tugged on the dread and pulled it out. That seems risky to me instead of taking a two piece mold appart. But like Jay said do you really want to make them when theres guys out there that make awsome dreads. They allready have molds for them and by the time you made a mold and went through all of the hassle of trying to get the formula down to where you wernt wasting foam you would have way more into it. Everyone Ive talked to that makes or made them said it was a huge pain in the arse.

If we could have got Pre pigmented foam over in the UK , i would have started foam dreds by now, but as said, getting the mix just right is a pain, chemicals are not very pleasant, and it can be messy.

unless your a pro like Bambooie and Monsterroom, who are the ones in a position to say which foams/raitios they use. :lol:

then when you get the mix right , then you have to pigment it, which messes with the mix hehe.

Add on top its alot more expensive to get hold of in the UK

....you know your right.......we might as wel not bother......hell ....if theres already people making them......whats the point?
...theres people arlready making masks....so why bother?........etc...etc

....That was sarcasm BTW

Dont you ever find any self satisfaction from doing something for YOURSELF?

Thanks for your replies fellas........but no offence....we wasn't asking about how to make dread molds......the question was........other than "cold foam"......which doesn't really tell us much as there are a gazillion diferent types of cold foam available lol......what is the dread recipe?

....you know your right.......we might as wel not bother......hell ....if theres already people making them......whats the point?
...theres people arlready making masks....so why bother?........etc...etc

....That was sarcasm BTW

Dont you ever find any self satisfaction from doing something for YOURSELF?

Thanks for your replies fellas........but no offence....we wasn't asking about how to make dread molds......the question was........other than "cold foam"......which doesn't really tell us much as there are a gazillion diferent types of cold foam available lol......what is the dread recipe?

Actually the question was WHAT KIND of foam does bambooie use, well being as joe has used tested and tried different foams, i suppose its up to Joe, to say what HE uses. :lol: ( as i said )

As for "dont you ever find any self satisfaction from doing something for YOURSELF ? "

i strongly suggest doing just that , go buy lots of different foams, and test them for yourself instead of getting others to do the work for you. eh hows that sound. :lol:

for the record Different cold foams have different mixes/ratios

i strongly suggest doing just that , go buy lots of different foams, and test them for yourself instead of getting others to do the work for you. eh :lol: hows that sound.

for the record Different cold foams have different mixes/ratios

......sorry man......but I had the impression that this community was supposed to be about helping each other out?
....you know.....good old sharing of information?
I know this may offend others.....but how is NOT answering someones questions helpfull?
If people dont want to respond with answers to the questions asked........how the **** is that helping?......why bother responding if your not willing to share the information.

My comment is in DIRECT reply to your " Dont you ever find any self satisfaction from doing something for YOURSELF? "

YOU started that ball rolling ! !

For the record i was trying to help in my 1st reply by saying BAMBOOIE and MONSTERROOM are the ones who can tell you what foam they use.

But you AGAIN wanna pick holes and think people are trying to be awkward.

I along with many others here get messages constantly about help etc, and I ALWAYS REPLY. even if its just to say i cannot help as i do not know. so dont talk to me about sharing!!!!!

I make my own from black tube silicon!it's already black!)it's a little bit heavyer I think but have a nice movement but anyway
it's in equilibrium with the weight of the bio!by the way , I make my molds from two pieces and after pull the dread from it I sand it a little on the seam line!

yeah silicone will move great but the trade off is weight

i was told that they used silicone around rope on the original pred, but im not sure how true that is , and it must have been extremely heavy.

....here we go again ...lol.......of course.....yeah.....I'M the one being awkward ....lol

.......so.....what would happen then.....if for example....I went into the hunturial section.....and replied to everyone who asks questions about verious subjects......"why bother mate......try it out for yourself and stop expecting others to do the work for you"..........you dont need to answer that......you KNOW what the result would be......so dont talk to me about people being awkward....lol

Again....i put it to you.......if you dont want to respond with a GENUINE answer to the guys question....WHY RESPOND AT ALL?

.........I'll tell you why........cos you want to be awkward!

Thanks for your help guys,.

I've been told by 3 different FX guys that silicone molds (platinum or tin based, doesn't matter) will cause significant skinning problems... cold foams don't like silicone and for every good one you get, you'll get 3 bad ones. I don't feel like wasting the money on silicone to try to prove them wrong, so I've been doing Ultra-cal molds with some success... gotta use paste wax (about 3 coats) followed up by Silpak R-80 foam release. Best results have been in 80+ degree weather... I may actually try putting the molds in the oven and warming them up a bit before pouring the next batch of foam. Seam lines are there, but they're pretty minimal and I can live with them. Just toying around with which foam I like. Tried a couple different Smooth-on soft foams and one from Burman. I kinda like the Buman one, as it offers variable mix options from 80:100 down to 40:100 (80:100 being 4 lb. density), so I don't have to be exact, though I write down each mix I run, so if I find one I really like, I can go back to it again. I'm basically doing them for myself, as I've discovered that they are just too much trouble to produce them at the rate 'Booie does, for outside sales.

Just for ***** and giggles, I did inquire as to the cost of having some machined aluminum molds made... The guy's probably still laughing at how I choked on his $5,000 quote. LOL... And that was only if I did the CAD drawings.

But for anyone toying around with them, I can't recommend the Silpak R-80 strongly enough. I was really getting a lot of tears and bad skins before one of my guys suggested I give it a try. It has helped quite a bit, and it's relatively inexpensive. Hope that helps.

This is a community of helping others out but I wouldnt expect Bambooie to give up his secret formula for making dreads. It aint gonna happen many have asked and hes not talkin. And honestly I dont blame him thats something that hes put alot of time into to finally get it right. And thats a trade that makes him some money and if he told everyone how to do it then I guess nobody would need his dreads. I never said there was anything wrong with doing things yourself. Heck I do tons of things myself. But there are things I dont want to even bother with especially when someone like Joe does a fantastic job making them. It would be like if you didnt know anything about plumbing to ask the plumber to tell you how to fix the pipes instead of paying him to do it. Hes not gonna tell you how to do his job his job is to get paid for doing what he knows. So people here are definatly gonna help but as far as expecting Joe to just give you his secret formula that would be entirely up to him. As to the silicone molds I heard that use have to use a special wax mold release and it wont hurt the silicone molds. I didnt know you could pour the cold foam into a ultracal mold unless you put a latex skin in them first. The cold foam thats used is a self skinning foam with no need for a latex skin.

thanks inkmonster. I totally understand your point. even though its carbonics thread he hasent replied to it so I kind took over. Ive been trying for a while but I go through so much wasted time and effort I was hoping for a simple how to. I dont actually need bambooies formula but the foam he uses would be nice. like can I get my materials from monstermakers. what should I get If bambooie gets his stuff from there its only a matter of mixing things up right and you might get somthing close right? Or how bout this Some one that actually knows how to just say go to monstermakers get this try the ultracal form and experiment from there. I realize its cold foam. I emailed monstermakers and they said to use Soft Expanding Polyurethane Foam from thier site what do you think. they said 30$ worth fills 2 five gallon buckets. No more about bambooie but if someone wanted to try themselves then whats up. Ive read everything and need it in simpler words. the visions in my head so you guys dont have to be legnthy in your words unless you wanted.

thanks inkmonster. I totally understand your point. even though its carbonics thread he hasent replied to it so I kind took over. Ive been trying for a while but I go through so much wasted time and effort I was hoping for a simple how to. I dont actually need bambooies formula but the foam he uses would be nice. like can I get my materials from monstermakers. what should I get If bambooie gets his stuff from there its only a matter of mixing things up right and you might get somthing close right? Or how bout this Some one that actually knows how to just say go to monstermakers get this try the ultracal form and experiment from there. I realize its cold foam. I emailed monstermakers and they said to use Soft Expanding Polyurethane Foam from thier site what do you think. they said 30$ worth fills 2 five gallon buckets. No more about bambooie but if someone wanted to try themselves then whats up. Ive read everything and need it in simpler words. the visions in my head so you guys dont have to be legnthy in your words unless you wanted.
No problem monstermakers isnt the place to get the proper foam for dreads. Monstermakers foam is very firm they no longer make there soft foam. I believe the foam that some of these guys are using either comes from burman industries or smooth-on. And you need to use a good color pigment with them too. And from what Ive got from talking to a few of these guys you have to dye the wax mold release to or you will have a white coating on them. Thats why when you get the dreads some of the black will come off on your hands.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back