Dreads

ofak

Yes i am a newbie, even though this passion for making a suit can be expensive at times, there are ways to save.

Dreads for instance, you can use these (link below) backing rods and cut them to the length you need, as well as cutting the tips into a tapered form. They are light and flexible so as you turn your head they will flow in the breeze.

I hope this helps, I love this forum :)

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15868

Yeah, a fair amount of people on the lair are already using backer rod as their dreads.
I myself will be using it for my mask sooner or later

All,
For my dreads, I used soaker hose material. The dreads look good but are real stiff, not flexable and soft like in the movies, So...I had an epiphany.
I think I have a pretty cheap and easy way to make really great dreads. Here's my idea:
Going off of soemone else's idea of using a pool stick as a dread mold (tapers off real nice). So here I go.

Buy the cheapest poolstick you can find, taper the smaller diameter end off to a point. Buy Black Heat Shrink hosing/tubing in a good size that will fit over the poolstick (they do have larger diameters for industrial applications--I have some at work). Grease the poolstick with vaseline or Pam cooking spary (LOL---okay, I'm being serious now). Cut the Heat Shrink hose/tubing to a good length for a dread, use a heat gun to have the Heat Shrink hose/tubing form to the pool stick. Let it cool, then pull it off (if it wasn't greased it won't be easy to pull off). Melt the smaller diameter end with a lighter, stuff it with some cotton or poly fill froma hobby store or old pillow and BAM---a nice dread. If I have time, I may go back and do this. Depends if I want to spend the money or not.

I got the idea from someone who kind of was doing the same thing with using a pool stick to form the dread. In the other version you use mold release to grease the poolstick, then you dip the poolstick in black latex, and you have to do this several times to get a good couple layers. When it dries, roll it off and yu have a nice slick dread. I was thinking that Heat Shrink hose/tubing is already thick enough and black, all you have to do is form it which you can make several formed in minutes.

Maybe I will do a couple just to show everyone if it works or not. I can buy a cheap poolstick for like $10. Then I just need to find an electrical hardware store with larger size Heat Shrinkable hose/tubing.

What do you all think?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back