Dreads cut in half?

skunk

I dont know if this topic has ever been covered before....i cant find any info on it but
does anyone have any ideas what the inside of a pred dread would be like?
Like would it be solid like rubber or would it have bone and flesh like an animals tail?.....would they be like gekos and be able to lose them and grow them back or would they be gone for good if lost.
thanks in advance for anyones thought.
Lee

hey lee, id say its more like hair wise, probley solid like rubber, since in AVP they had long dreads, but the P2 elder dident ,
and thinking about this now the hippie in P2 had long dreads so they must be cuttable, so id think there solid and trimmable to a pred.

In the first AVP book Dashande explains its a painful experience of weaving the hair into tight coils..I can get you the exact page number if you want to read about it. but when you look at the head, it appears as if they are growing out of the head like tenticles.

In the first AVP book Dashande explains its a painful experience of weaving the hair into tight coils..I can get you the exact page number if you want to read about it. but when you look at the head, it appears as if they are growing out of the head like tenticles.

maybe they put stuff on it to keep it from coming undone.....

(am getting a funny mental pic of a Pred with a bad hair day )

---
Ei'luj

i mentioned that bit in another thread as something i totally ignore when it comes to canon. it obviously is nothing remotely like hair. i think of dreads as a modified spine. i'd say they're probaly like hair in that the bit closest to the scalp still has a blood flow but it's more "dead" as your reach the ends.

Them dreads are, in my opinion, much like a lion's manes: a biological buffer to take impacts and blows rather well. It's fleshy, but a lot like skin. It senses damage and heat and such, but is not a great pain-conductor.

Thanks for the replies folks.......I dont think that they are hair tho.....I wouldn't trust too much info in the AVP books.....I too think they are fleshy or something but not too sure what they would look like cut...or whether they would grow back.
The reason I would like to know is that I am making a badblood pred and one of his wounds will be on the side of his head like he has been slashed by another preds blades....and i want it to be a long scar and when it happened he was bound to loose a couple of dreads.....so i was just wondering.....beacause they would look more effective if the dreads had bone or flesh in them.......I dont want them to look like cut rubber......but IF that is what they WOULD look like......then that is the road I will go down.
........any more thoughts anyone?

i think in concrete jungle one pred had his dreads chopped and it was just solid material. they might have been capped too with some kind of cyber mod. cant quite remember though.

Thanks Xdmray.....if thats the case I think I might just use a bit of artistic licensce cos I think it will just make my mask look broken....I kike the idea of them being like tails with a bone inside and thin flesh covered in thick skin but with no nerves.....and each pred has a different length dread NATURALY...like dogs tail for example....like scullsplitter said....forming a protective barrier......but what confuses me is IF they continually grow and they dont cut them how come the youngsters in AVP had MUCH longer dreads than the (presumably) older P1.....so they must grow.....in which case....the injured dread would simply grow back.....but if they DONT grow....then the dread would be scarred like the face.

......I'm just not sure which way to go on this

..... my personal taste, i like to think of them as modified skin cells, just like hair. but since they are aliens, of course it is not like anything we know. they can be cut to what ever length you like, and will grow back. but that's just how i like it.

Thanks for the replies folks.......I dont think that they are hair tho.....I wouldn't trust too much info in the AVP books....

Why not trust the books? You are talking about making a "Badblood" which was introduced in the books. lol Umm most of what we believe about the character was hinted at in the movies and then cemented in the books. Let me try and I will fix your comment from above.

Skunk wrote:
Thanks for the replies folks....... I dont think that they are hair tho...... I dont like what the books said or that anyone suggests other than my idea. I asked so that someone might agree with me and I feel better about doing it my way.

That sums it up pretty good.

Why not trust the books? You are talking about making a "Badblood" which was introduced in the books. lol Umm most of what we believe about the character was hinted at in the movies and then cemented in the books. Let me try and I will fix your comment from above.

Skunk wrote:
Thanks for the replies folks....... I dont think that they are hair tho...... I dont like what the books said or that anyone suggests other than my idea. I asked so that someone might agree with me and I feel better about doing it my way.

That sums it up pretty good.

well...i'm guessing your not a math teacher then...lol

Allow me to "re-phrase" YOUR post

Headragon wrote:
I dont really have an "opinion" of my own......but I have a problem with this member......I'm not "man" enough to just come right out with "exactly" what my problem is......so i'm just gonna "stir" up some **** in his thread instead......like a nancy.

......that sums it up pretty well :lol:

The longer dreds in AVP were to make the head movements more dramatic i think, another one of the many FUCKINGUPTHEFRANCHISE moments.

I think the dreds personally are just the Preds version of our hair, if there were cartlidge/tenticles or bone like a tail, surely theyd have some control, but in ALL the films P1 , P2 , AVP and AVP-r the dreds swung freely.

So im voting hair type thingies, maybe if they get damaged they pull them out and they regrow. a rolling production line like Shark teeth.

well...i'm guessing your not a math teacher then...lol

Allow me to "re-phrase" YOUR post

Headragon wrote:
I dont really have an "opinion" of my own......but I have a problem with this member......I'm not "man" enough to just come right out with "exactly" what my problem is......so i'm just gonna "stir" up some **** in his thread instead......like a nancy.

......that sums it up pretty well

No I am not a math teacher. hehe

I do have an opinion and it is that it is hair. I didn't think there was any real mystery on that one. I read the books in the movies it looks like hair. They are called "Dreads" which is short for dreadlocks. I agree with Usurper if they had bone and tendons the Preds would be able to move them I am sure but since they dont show in any movie or comic that they can move them independatly then I would lean toward hair.

I do not have a problem with you. However you did ask for opinions on what others thought. Some gave examples in the "AVP World" were the dreads are basically hair and you dismissed them. Which means that this topic was pointless to begin with. You already had your mind made up. You could have just done what you wanted to do since that is the way you are headed anyways.

If you are offended by a little picking then I would watch calling others nancies or whatever. I was poking fun and that is it. I know it is hard to come across in typing but whatever.

The longer dreds in AVP were to make the head movements more dramatic i think, another one of the many FUCKINGUPTHEFRANCHISE moments.

I think the dreds personally are just the Preds version of our hair, if there were cartlidge/tenticles or bone like a tail, surely theyd have some control, but in ALL the films P1 , P2 , AVP and AVP-r the dreds swung freely.

So im voting hair type thingies, maybe if they get damaged they pull them out and they regrow. a rolling production line like Shark teeth.

I dont agree that if they were built like tails the preds would have to have control over them.....they are aliens....so what applies to this world might not apply to theirs.
If the dreads are made of hair,how thick is it? Is it like one HUGE strand? or is it lots of strands fused together?,do they grow naturally into a pointed cone? or are cut like it? and what would it look like if cut? would it frey.

No I am not a math teacher. hehe

I do have an opinion and it is that it is hair. I didn't think there was any real mystery on that one. I read the books in the movies it looks like hair. They are called "Dreads" which is short for dreadlocks. I agree with Usurper if they had bone and tendons the Preds would be able to move them I am sure but since they dont show in any movie or comic that they can move them independatly then I would lean toward hair.

I do not have a problem with you. However you did ask for opinions on what others thought. Some gave examples in the "AVP World" were the dreads are basically hair and you dismissed them. Which means that this topic was pointless to begin with. You already had your mind made up. You could have just done what you wanted to do since that is the way you are headed anyways.

If you are offended by a little picking then I would watch calling others nancies or whatever. I was poking fun and that is it. I know it is hard to come across in typing but whatever.

Dude.....if you "had" an opinion ....then you would have stated it.....but you didn't....instead you chose to be disrespectfull......and now your complaining of the same attitude thrown back in your face?.....if you are offended by counter attacks.....then just hold back in future.

and for the record.....I havent dismissed anyones ideas.....i'm not convinced....but I havent dismissed anyones opinion here.
The reason that "I" would not trust the books too much is because they are mostly the opinions of the authors....now how many times have you read an original story in a book......then someone makes a film......and you think that the film is TOO diferent......it's NEVER as good.......If you take the ORIGINAL Pred film, the things that you say were hinted , everyone who enjoyed the films will have their OWN opinions as to what was what and where and how and all that.
And THAT is the reason that I am asking somewhere like this board.....because opinions DO vary and REASONS vary also........I'm not going to make them hair just because it says in some book who's author had f' all to do with the original concept.
I am willing to explore different angles....If I were to just do my own thing...then that is exactly what I would have done WITHOUT asking anyone elses thoughts.
Hanovarian said that in the book it is "a painfull experience of weaving the hair into tight coils" well.......they can have acid blood splattered all over them without batting an eyelid......but ooooh....dont pull their hair...it hurts.....well if that was the case they would just cut the stuff off wouldn't they?......and if it's weaved ....that would indicate that when the hair leaves the head.....it comes out in smaller strands.....so how come we have never seen a pred with his roots exposed?....and why does it resemble a solid one peice thing?
you see unlike you "seem" to think i "am" exploring different opinions and possibilities.

Well if you think what applies to this world does not apply to theirs, then the hair could be absolutely ANYTHING !

OH and I never said they were made of hair, i said "the Preds version of our hair"

Just another thing i dont personally need explaining, im happy with not knowing.

Well if you think what applies to this world does not apply to theirs, then the hair could be absolutely ANYTHING !

OH and I never said they were made of hair, i said "the Preds version of our hair"

Just another thing i dont personally need explaining, im happy with not knowing.

It's something that i never really gave much thought to before to be honest.....i just excepted that they had rubbery looking dread protusions comming out of their heads and that was that..it's only because it's relevant to what i am planning to do that i seek opinions......and your absolutely right about they could be anything lol.....which is why I started this thread...just to hear everyone elses thoughts.

LOL.....and i never said that i think what applies to our world does not apply to theirs.....i said what applies to our world MIGHT not apply to theirs :lol:

Thanks for your thoughts tho

Hey man, I didnt state my opinion first off because I never thought it needed to be explained. I have always thought they were hair.

I am not offened by your response. I actually thought it was funny. Like I said I was not trying to be rude or disrespectful. I was just poking fun. I am not mad at attituede being thrown in my face. This is a message board lol what is to get mad about? really? I apologized for offending you.

I do have a question have you ever had expierence with real dreads? If not maybe look into that and see how they work and maybe that will help you on your search.

LOL......if only you knew EXACTLY how much experience I have with real dreads.....you'd know how silly it was of you to "patronise" me (un-dis-respectfully lol) about the word "dread"

Now.....i'm happy with the explanation that Ernie,wolfie138,xdmray and Lee said about them being like a great big solid hair thing......but I will strongly disagree with you and the AVP book about them being strands of hair similar to ours...even Hanovarion seemed unconvinced of the books explanation as she said that when you see the film they look more like tentacles...........they look NOTHING like real dreads....not even remotely close.....and even if that IS what they are SUPPOSED to be......like i said....WHEN have we EVER seen a pred with his roots exposed?.......because THAT is exactly what would happen if they didn't re-weave their hair evry so-often......and think about it.....if you were a pred.....would you want to spend all your time poncing about with your hair so it looks all buff?......or would you just say **** it and cut it all off so you could spend more time hunting?

so to clear things up...

solid hair/fingernail type things I think are possible
Fleshy but muscless tentacle type things I think are also possible
Individual thin strands of human like hair that is somehow "weaved" into smooth looking perfectly formed tapered dreadlocks that somehow always stay perfect and never get split ends......I doubt very much that is the case.
I do hope that you understand EXACTLY what it was that i was dismissing and why.

(edited to include extra details 02.09.09)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back