Dreadlocks

I used the 5/8" backer rod cut into 24" pieces with 1/2" hot water couplings as dread rings painted in hammered finished copper and they seem to have an excellent movement to them, the only thing that stuck to them was black plasti-dip, paint & latex both peeled or flaked off, see for yourself and hope this helps

Is baker rod hollow? If it is, I could fill it w/ beads or some type of weight to make it heavier to weigh it down, making it swish, plus adding clay beads onto it.

Is baker rod hollow? If it is, I could fill it w/ beads or some type of weight to make it heavier to weigh it down, making it swish, plus adding clay beads onto it.

No backerrod is solid foam throughout. The only way to way backerrod down is to upvc or copper tubing to make the dreads from and a heck of a lotta het and bending to get them in shape.

like DH said, it is straight foam all the way down, mine just worked perfectly with the copper painted pvc couplings I added to weigh them down and the movement is just perfect to what I wanted :D

i used this guy's technique for a work involving pred inspired dreads

they arent as big as Pred ones,but with the right diameter tubing it could be done too in theory

Painted them with accrylic paint/latex mixture.
the tips are a bit jumbled but that's me being 'close enough'
And they have excellent 'swish'

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone else possibly still looking at this, has anyone tried batting foam and latex? I remember seeing it on FaceOff once (season 10 episode 1 I think?) and the swing/weight was perfect but i think they were kinda big. Debating giving it a go, maybe I'll follow up in a bit.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back