dreadlocks from backer rods

JoeSomebody369

Hello everyone!

I purchased a bunch of backer rods today and cut out the sizes I wanted already. However, before I progress any further I have a question. Since the backer rods come out of the package curled, is there any way to straighten them out without using dread rings? I also wanted to use plastidip on them. At my Home Depot you can get liquid plastidip or you can get spray plastidip. I was thinking if you sprayed or painted on the plastidip on the rods it would give them some weight and straighten them out if I held them straight while applying the plastidip. Any thoughts? Wasn't sure if the plastidip idea of mine would straighten em so if anyone knows or has any ideas lemme know =D

Thanks everyone,
Joe

well try this, worked for me on my first suit

the part of the backer rod where you attach to the mask is where you should cut at a angle so the backer rod points down,
so that why they look straight and stay straight, plasticdip wont do much, so just do this and ull be fine

well try this, worked for me on my first suit

the part of the backer rod where you attach to the mask is where you should cut at a angle so the backer rod points down,
so that why they look straight and stay straight, plasticdip wont do much, so just do this and ull be fine

TY bud! I'll definitely do this I also did a bit of tugging on them. I got the idea from a thread you actually linked in another thread haha

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=9206

ernies way is good
i agree that the plastidip wont do much. unless you cake it on too thick. a way to get em strait is to just hang weights on em for a day or so. also you can use a heat gun and then pull em strait untill then cool. but be very carefull with the heat, not much will melt em. here's a head i did with backerrod using the heat gun and angled cuts.

DSCN5689.jpg

DSCN5716.jpg

DSCN5719.jpg

go for the best bambooies dreads thats what ive done!

Ty guys I'm actually just finishing the first coat of paint on the top layer of dreads. I would go with bambooie dreads but I dunno I get more satisfaction from the backer rod dreads. Makes me feel like I accomplished a new piece with the painting and melting the tips and what not. Plus i'm trying to keep the price down I mean I've spent under $350 and I'm just about done my costume. Only have 1 thigh plate left, painting the rest of the dreads, paint the teeth and I found one of the hunter users methods of making wrist blades on youtube that will cost me about $6 for both wrist gauntlets. However, over the summer I'm ordering a lot of klean klay and sculpting my own chest/legs with armor already attached onto the latex skin and practice with an airbrush.

There is nothing at all wrong with backer rod dreads. They look just as good with weighs on them. To weigh the dreads down:

You can get PVC pipe from Home Hardware that will work. Cut them to size, prime them and paint em gold. Thats it. That easy.

Otherwise you could even use fishing line weights. Place the small lead weights inside a small tiny hole that you cut in the backer rod. Make sure the cut is small and facing inward. Then a dab of krazy glue to close it up and prevent it from falling out.

I'd recommend the PVC pipe at Home depot. Bring backer rod with you and find the right size...you'll be golden.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back