dread question

Queen Hunter

do you think that if a predator got one of its dreads cut off, would it hurt? i mean do you think its kinda like a octopus tenticle accept it's on their head and they can't move it.... or just plain old hair

From what I was told the dreads are actually braided flesh, so yeah I think if it were to get cut off then it would REALLY hurt!! :rolleyes:

I was told that one of Stan Winston's books described them as quills, like a porcupine, just thicker and different of it's own kind. This makes sense with the horn-like decorations some Preds have lining their cheek bones. Possibly harder, pointier quills.

I was told that one of Stan Winston's books described them as quills, like a porcupine, just thicker and different of it's own kind. This makes sense with the horn-like decorations some Preds have lining their cheek bones. Possibly harder, pointier quills.
Is that from the Stan Winston's project or work book?

Braided flesh? I don't see any braids.
Supposefully the dreads are a right of passage from what I was told that are in the three Predator books. I'm not sure if that is accurate I just believe they are hair and it may not hurt, but then again both cound be correct.

Is that from the Stan Winston's project or work book?

Supposefully the dreads are a right of passage from what I was told that are in the three Predator books. I'm not sure if that is accurate I just believe they are hair and it may not hurt, but then again both cound be correct.

Don't know which book it's from, wish I knew.

In the AVP novels, it was thick hair that was braided and then shelacked (covered with a resin to make them smooth), not flesh. The only point for flesh is a comic where a predator's mistaken for a Louisiana Gollywomp. During the final fight his dreads are slashed and they bleed. Honestly, doesn't make sense from a Darwin standpoint if all that rippable flesh isn't covered. Quills make better sense as a great natural method of protecting the skull.

From 'THE WINSTON EFFECT' Page 101.

DIRECT from THE MAN Stan Winston.

"Winston said. "I started drawing and designing this alien character with QUILLS that in silhouette would look like dreadlocks."

So with that in mind i doubt they hurt if they go cut, maybe his street cred may drop alittle with a mullet, but no physical pain in guessing hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know which book it's from, wish I knew.

In the AVP novels, it was thick hair that was braided and then shelacked (covered with a resin to make them smooth), not flesh. The only point for flesh is a comic where a predator's mistaken for a Louisiana Gollywomp. During the final fight his dreads are slashed and they bleed. Honestly, doesn't make sense from a Darwin standpoint if all that rippable flesh isn't covered. Quills make better sense as a great natural method of protecting the skull.
I have that comic it is called "Strange Roux" I think. I was like "Holy Crap the Predator gets gutten and made for dinner in the end? Talk about irony"

"Winston said. "I started drawing and designing this alien character with QUILLS that in silhouette would look like dreadlocks."
So with that in mind i doubt they hurt if they go cut, maybe his street cred may drop alittle with a mullet, but no physical pain in guessing hehe.

In that case I will go with Stan Winston Lee. You can't beat the man that created the creature to begin with. They do look like larger and thicker quills based on the quills on his forehead the same just smaller makes sense to me.

HAHAHA!...Now I can't get the picture out of my head with of a predator with a mullet, trucker hat , nascar shirt with no sleeves and an old beat up ford truck.

HAHAHA!...Now I can't get the picture out of my head with of a predator with a mullet, trucker hat , nascar shirt with no sleeves and an old beat up ford truck.

First thing that popped into my mind when i read this comment: Squidbillies. "Watch th' trim!"

EarlyCuyler.gif

I don't know what a mullet would look like on pred, perhaps a full out chrome dome would be a better option?

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

Others have suggested in a similar thread that the dreads may act as a cat's whiskers, like a sensory organ. Some have proposed that they could even be an erogenous zone for the creatures. They swing freely when the preds move their heads, which tells us there are no major muscles in them that would allow them to articulate them like an octopus would it's tentacles. It's possible that the dreads are the smaller quills found on other parts of their heads that have grown out longer, then fused together as the pred matures. Whether or not it hurts to have them severed, I would say it depends on the age of the individual pred, as the dread would continue to thicken as they aged.

I’ve always seen the Predator’s dread quills as quills as opposed to braided hair, even without having read the reference Stan made in the ‘Winston Effect’. It makes perfect sense that each dread be a single quill or mega huge modified hair. However, I must say - and this is my opinion -that I feel that cutting a dread-quill higher up along the shaft, close to the skull would be painful. I I imagine them ( dread –quills) each containing a ‘quick’ upon which cutting would cause a sensation of pain and some bleeding. I don’t think this ‘quick’ would run the entire length of the dread-quill though, I’d say less than a third of it.
~Estelle

Like the lion's manes, I really think it is more of an evolutionary thing to protect his neck from blows from opponents, which grew into a more decorative piece when rings were added.

Edit: if they are part of a sensory function, then the predators are in for a LOT of pain...

Like the lion's manes, I really think it is more of an evolutionary thing to protect his neck from blows from opponents, which grew into a more decorative piece when rings were added.

Edit: if they are part of a sensory function, then the predators are in for a LOT of pain...
Yeah, I see them ( dread-Quills) in that light too....I recall it being mentioned that Stand had said that the dread-quills, weighted down with the dread rings could be used defensively, so it would only be sensible to say that they could just as well serve as a buffer and lessen the force of a deadly blow from behind.
~Estelle

Interesting….never considered that- Predator combatants grappling one another’s dread-quills- but it could work too, especially in some sort of ceremonial fight in which weapons are not an option.
~Estelle

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back