Drax the Destroyer skin

Rogcamo

Hey there everyone!
I'm trying to put together a Drax the Destroyer costume from the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
And I was wondering if anyone maybe knew of something that I could use for Draxs skin.
Something I could "Tattoo" as a wearable (tight) shirt, or something comparable.
Sorry if someone has posted about this already, I couldn't find anything
Any and all input is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

I saw a cool one of Drax where they had taken what I think was a morphsuit or some custom, tight fighting shirt (it had gloves attached) and used red puff paint to do the designs

I think the originals were prosthetic aide transfers- based on the edges and skin pulling I could see- Imax, pretty amazing detail- and the way the sculpts were transfered as flat pieces.

As a second skin.... it's going to sound weird but an illusion mesh is probably going to be your best bet. You may want to also then do a paint layer as the mesh will be semi transparent but this also makes it look more like a layer of skin.

You can hide the seams under the scar tattoos. Otherwise work very similarly to the way they did: sculpt on a bodycast, transfer to flat surfaces, fix then cast and stick on body/body cast. There was a bodycast with full colour and prosthetic pieces used as a guide for getting them on each day.

Illusion mesh: http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/3167
It can be dyed, being nylon RIT and Dylon will work. Possibly even regular iDye. And airbrushed with acrylic ink for shading.

I'd recommend a bodysuit not just a shirt as it will anchor the fabric to you as opposed to moving with the pants. And probably a raglan sleeve as a start as there will be no seam over the shoulder which is where most people will look for one (I noticed Peter's jacket also has no traditional armscye and shoulder seam either so it also will fit in with the overall aesthetics of the movie.
http://www.stretchy.org/catsuits/ This is for a full length suit but you can probably use the first pattern guide (trouser style) and cut the legs off (generally higher in the front than back). And use snaps underneath to be able to pull the suit on like a shirt. Avoids a zip anywhere or overstretching of the neckline.

I bookmarked an article about how it was done (it was a little light on details, but it might be helpful). I will try to post it when I get home, but it might not be until tomorrow because I have plans after work tonight.

I would also like to do this costume sometime, and am definitely going to go with a bodysuit of some sort. I'm probably two years out from doing this costume so at the moment I'm just collecting reference images, but I am not doing full body paint. :p It'll be annoying enough to have to do my face (and possibly hands, though I'd rather do gloves). I will be watching this thread with great interest!

There's a lot of great info on this in the Art Of book that just came out yesterday. They even translate the meaning of some of the designs.

i'll be trying to do this this week and my option is to use powermesh spandex /illusion mesh then paint over the designs. i think the challenge is the design itself haha. Also, I can't do it without my hubby wearing it coz i need the suit stretched to avoid distorting the designs.

Hi,
My initial thoughts for this would be to use liquid latex over something like a morphsuit.
This gives a good texture for skin and can be mixed with acrylic paint to give whatever colour you want. Depending how creative you get you could add some accenting to the different muscle groups to make them stand out.
This will be very sweaty though and removes any stretch form the fabric so it takes a bit of experimenting.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back