Dragon Age Inquisition - Dragon Helmet SKS Props

SKS Props

Sr Member
Here is a new project I have been working on for a little while now it is the new helmet from Dragon Age. I have loved the design of this helmet since the first concept pieces came out. The base of the helmet is resin and styrene. It is basically an understructure for a monster clay buildup. I have already started roughing out the detail layer in monster clay and will post more updates nxt week.

you can follow my prop builds on my Facebook site here:https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Steven-K-Smith-Props/166098956787658

dragon_age_inquisition___dragon_helmet_by_captainhask-d6wp4id_zpsf8d6a54b.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Dragon Age Inquisition - Dragon Helmet WIP

Was able to get some more work done last night. Basically I am roughing in all of the high points then I will sculpt them back to bring out the details in the dragon head, helmet details, and battle damage.
dragonagohelmet2_zps8f29d3f8.jpg

Update
Pretty much roughed in everything and am starting the details on the wings and dragon spine/head
Dragonagehelmet2_zpsebab5f09.jpg

This one was a tough decision. I've seen the ingame version of the dragon on the helmet and I wasn't really digging it. So.....I sculpted my own version. I really did try to take into consideration, if a blacksmith was realy making this out of metal what would a forged dragon head look like.
dragonagehelmet3_zps793bebb1.jpg

How.......do....you ......do ......this.....?

you are amazing.....

A-freaking-mazing! I love the attention to detail especially in the dragon. I would buy this in a heartbeat (given i had the money lol) and its not even done yet. Great work

Update time!
Well this time I finished sculpting the details on the back of the helmet and added the "rivets" on the sides as well as some battle damage here and there. Also I finally got around to making the spikes that go up the helmet like a mohawk. They are sanded and shaped out of oak but will be resin cast for the final verson.

dragonagehelmet4_zps0a11b06f.jpg

Got the mold jacket applied this weekend. I hate making the molds somethimes it is just as much a challenge as sculpting the actual piece.
dragonagehelmet5_zps7ad8053f.jpg

That is awesome! I like your choice to consider making it look 'period correct'... available materials, tools, etc...

I'm currently working on D&D swords and daggers myself, using reference drawings from some video game manuals. I've sculpted the guard and pommel in clay...and make some resin casts. I'm going to make some wax casts and have them cast into bronze next.

Great job, .. keep showing pics of the mold too... that's a lot of work and helpful to see.

This is looking great, looking forward to seeing the casting and finished piece!

I know what you mean about the molds, I get more stressed out about the mold making then any other part.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great comments! I can't wait to show off the end result!

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition - Dragon Helmet Complete

Looks great! Nice work and I'm totally envious of your productivity! You got that done fast! :D

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition - Dragon Helmet Complete

Looks great! Nice work and I'm totally envious of your productivity! You got that done fast! :D

Thank you very much! I did get this one out pretty quick. I was just really into the overall project and that helps out a lot.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back