Dr. Who find on Thunderbirds

TheSt.LouisKid

Sr Member
Watching Gerry Andersons "Thunderbirds are Go" recently I spotted this tool.

PIC_2005.jpg

Cool, yeah there was a whole thread about that a few years ago. We still don't know any more about the prop now than we did then unfortunately.

If my memory serves me correctly, I was reading somewhere that the BBC brought some of the old props from a closing down sale of some old TV shows props, that thunderbirds prop is the modified 3rd Doctors sonic.

If my memory serves me correctly, I was reading somewhere that the BBC brought some of the old props from a closing down sale of some old TV shows props, that thunderbirds prop is the modified 3rd Doctors sonic.

Yeah. I was supposedly made for the Thunderbirds (just this one scene). The BBC bought it with a pile of other stuff. It became the beloved 3rd 4th and 5th Doctor's SS.

Purpleblancmange wrote an extensive blog post about it.

Good catch TheSt.LouisKid!

Yeah so true OM, I did read somewhere, possibly on this forum, that the halo, constantly got a good workout, he was more of your classic hands on doctor I think.

It is funny, I thought for years that the Baker Sonic had a hing (like one of those little inspection mirrors) in the neck that allowed the head to tilt like that from watching that scene in Leisure Hive. :lol:lol:lol

Yeah I know the one, have one of them in my tool box. :lol

Baker's hamfisted handling of the prop started right in the first story: Robot. That whole monologue he gives about the various uses of the sonic was an improv to cover his pulling it out of his pocket and ripping the head off as it got stuck in the seam. He kept babbling while he fished it out and put it back on. :lol

The Green Death is a classic for reused anderson props. Most of one set was from UFO.
The best thing to look for is space ships in the 3rd Doctors stories with two confirmed examples in Colony in Space.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back