Dr. Who find on Thunderbirds

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by TheSt.LouisKid, Jan 17, 2012.

1. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

Watching Gerry Andersons "Thunderbirds are Go" recently I spotted this tool.

[​IMG]

2. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool, yeah there was a whole thread about that a few years ago. We still don't know any more about the prop now than we did then unfortunately.

3. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me correctly, I was reading somewhere that the BBC brought some of the old props from a closing down sale of some old TV shows props, that thunderbirds prop is the modified 3rd Doctors sonic.

4. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

Yeah. I was supposedly made for the Thunderbirds (just this one scene). The BBC bought it with a pile of other stuff. It became the beloved 3rd 4th and 5th Doctor's SS.

Purpleblancmange wrote an extensive blog post about it.

Good catch TheSt.LouisKid!

5. Rassilon

The BBC sure did get there moneys worth on that prop.

6. Organic Mechanic

I know, right? Surprising considering Tom Baker seemed hell bent on breaking it. :lol

7. Rassilon

Yeah so true OM, I did read somewhere, possibly on this forum, that the halo, constantly got a good workout, he was more of your classic hands on doctor I think.

8. Organic Mechanic

9. phez

phez Sr Member

It is funny, I thought for years that the Baker Sonic had a hing (like one of those little inspection mirrors) in the neck that allowed the head to tilt like that from watching that scene in Leisure Hive. :lol:lol:lol

10. Rassilon

Yeah I know the one, have one of them in my tool box. :lol

11. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Baker's hamfisted handling of the prop started right in the first story: Robot. That whole monologue he gives about the various uses of the sonic was an improv to cover his pulling it out of his pocket and ripping the head off as it got stuck in the seam. He kept babbling while he fished it out and put it back on. :lol

12. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A lot of Anderson leftovers ended up on Who. Spaceships, control panels, etc.

13. Truro

Truro New Member

The Green Death is a classic for reused anderson props. Most of one set was from UFO.
    The best thing to look for is space ships in the 3rd Doctors stories with two confirmed examples in Colony in Space.

14. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member