Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Is this evil strange based off of a story from the comics? I never really read anything to do with him

Did you watch any of the recent 'What If?' TV series? Because this film picks up a big plot-point from the Dr Strange episode in that series, as well as from several of the other episodes and WandaVision and Loki.:) The various TV series have been setting up a lot of things that are going to be developed further in the Phase 4 and 5 movies.

I'm enjoying this character more and more... and I avoided his original flick.

It just all came across as too... Strange.

I get it now. I'm in.

Dude! If ever there was a movie to see while baked, the first Dr. Strange movie is it! I was stone cold sober when I saw it, but some scenes had me wondering if maybe some of my "experiments" with mushrooms back in the day had more long lasting effects than I thought!

Dude! If ever there was a movie to see while baked, the first Dr. Strange movie is it! I was stone cold sober when I saw it, but some scenes had me wondering if maybe some of my "experiments" with mushrooms back in the day had more long lasting effects than I thought!

That's how I watched the first - I was avoiding it originally cuz the costume looked weird and the FX just looked like more "Inception". After Infinity War (I know... I know...) I thought, "I should check out this Strange flick... I'll buy some edibles and watch the world fold"

But that scene where the Ancient One is slowing her last moments before dying was so good I couldn't believe I put it off for so long. I live for those moments in movies.

I love the surreal psychedelic feel of these movies, becasue they're conjuring up a modern-day equivalent of the positively insane Jack Kirby designs and environments from the original comic run... some of which have to be seen to be believed, even now! I remember reading them back in the 70s and wondering what the hell Kirby was on when he was drawing them! :D I love the fact that the MCU is paying homage to him in that way. I wish he was here to see it... I suspect he'd love it!

I don't like Benedict's accent or wig, and I was never even into the character all that much, but having Raimi on board got me more interested than anything else. I hope this has room for his idiosyncratic tastes especially since it's been called "horror themed."

Did you watch any of the recent 'What If?' TV series? Because this film picks up a big plot-point from the Dr Strange episode in that series, as well as from several of the other episodes and WandaVision and Loki.:) The various TV series have been setting up a lot of things that are going to be developed further in the Phase 4 and 5 movies.
no i didn't

I was pretty bummed when Scott left the sequel. I really how odd the first film was, and really hoping this one would be really....strange(sorry :p) So I'm conflicted, it looks cool....but....I don't know....

Apocryphal story: I actually somewhat know Robert Cargill, the writer of the first film. I used to be a part of another forum/website thing he was a lead figure on more than a decade ago. The community got pretty big and at the time he was writing editorials and stuff online, and there was eventually a site-wide meet-and-greet for 3 days in Austin, Texas. I got to meet him with a number of the site heads and we bar hopped for the first couple nights together in this large crowd of internet weirdos (myself included).

I remember one night at one of the numerous bars this event was being hosted at, where it had like an art-n-crafts set up, he kind of just phased out of meeting people and sat down by himself to paint Warhammer figures. It was really funny to see.

Anyone have any idea who evil dr strange is? Or if it’s related to anything that happens in the comics?

Anyone have any idea who evil dr strange is? Or if it’s related to anything that happens in the comics?

If you have Disney+ watch the Dr. Strange episode and you'll get an idea. I don't think it's exactly the version of Strange seen in the episode, but it looks close. If you don't have Disney+, you can watch the New Rockstars breakdown on YouTube.

There are actually several 'evil Dr Stranges' in the comics, from the 'What If...?' series and the main run. There's one where he's a disciple of Dormammu (usually a regular nemesis in the comics, and the 'big bad' from the first movie). Within the comic version of the multiverse, there's the Strange from 'counter-Earth' - the Necromancer - as well as the (even worse) one from 'the Cancerverse'. Only Thanos was able to defeat him in the end. 'Our' Dr Strange is also pretty evil in the 'Secret Wars' storyline.

And, of course, with the recent TV series being used to set up the MCU multiverse for the upcoming films, there's the recent TV Dr Strange 'What If..?' episode where Strange is split into two, one 'good' and one 'evil'. Indeed, in that episode, the Watcher says: 'One life, one moment, one choice can destroy the entire universe.'

I guess they could be drawing on any of those for this incarnation. I don't care, as long as he wears lots of black eyeliner and has a close up where he bellows, "I'M Dr. Strange!"

I'M-Captain-Kirk.gif

:lol:

If you have Disney+ watch the Dr. Strange episode and you'll get an idea. I don't think it's exactly the version of Strange seen in the episode, but it looks close. If you don't have Disney+, you can watch the New Rockstars breakdown on YouTube.
I have D+ but don’t feel
Like watching it, I’m going to do what you suggest and watch the new rockstars version now, thanks for that advice!

There are actually several 'evil Dr Stranges' in the comics, from the 'What If...?' series and the main run. There's one where he's a disciple of Dormammu (usually a regular nemesis in the comics, and the 'big bad' from the first movie). Within the comic version of the multiverse, there's the Strange from 'counter-Earth' - the Necromancer - as well as the (even worse) one from 'the Cancerverse'. Only Thanos was able to defeat him in the end. 'Our' Dr Strange is also pretty evil in the 'Secret Wars' storyline.

And, of course, with the recent TV series being used to set up the MCU multiverse for the upcoming films, there's the recent TV Dr Strange 'What If..?' episode where Strange is split into two, one 'good' and one 'evil'. Indeed, in that episode, the Watcher says: 'One life, one moment, one choice can destroy the entire universe.'

I guess they could be drawing on any of those for this incarnation. I don't care, as long as he wears lots of black eyeliner and has a close up where he bellows, "I'M Dr. Strange!"

View attachment 1523508
:lol:
Thank you for all of that, ***** the secret war I read years ago.. I don’t remember evil strange I have to dig through my books and pick it back up

I have D+ but don’t feel
Like watching it, I’m going to do what you suggest and watch the new rockstars version now, thanks for that advice!
You really should watch What If? it was ar eally great series telling some really great stories. As bit of an added bonus, most of the MCU actors were cast to voice their live action counterpart throughout the seires with only a ocuple of exceptions. Granted, it's its own thing and the live action MCU may or may not borrwo from it, but it's one hell of a series regardless and well worth your time to watch.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back