Dr. Octopus - 2012

Jellyhugo

I am currently working on a Dr. Octopus costume based off the comic book character. Not from the movie. I have the green suit, boots, & belt. Understanding that I have to work on my boots. Thought about wrapping foam around my chin so that would fill out the boot. I am also thinking of using a Lab Coat as well. What do you think?

For my arms, I am using four 3" black drainage pipes. For the claws, I used MDF Fiberboard. I am probably going to seal the claws with glue or something because they are definetly not very sturdy. My plans are making two arms move and the claws would open/close with a pull of a string. Trying figure out if it will work running the rope through my sleaves. I used 50lb fishing line for the claws. At the end of the drainage pipe, I have it tied to a key ring for easy access. As you can see I, I mounted the springs on the outside so the claws would open automatically when i release the string.

For my other two arms, I was thinking of securing a mannequin to one of them dressed as Mary Jane. We all know that there is some creepy spider-man person at these events. The other arm, I was going to mount a eye hook at the top and run a piece of rope through the tube and down my leg. The concept is that the arm would move when I walk. Haven't tried this out yet.

The biggest problem right now is the backpack. I bought this baby backpack off of some dude. Orginally, I tried to use one of those heavy duty styrofoam blocks and bolt it into the backpack. I duct taped it all up thinking it was going to hold. After I put one of the drainage pipes in it, i busted. So I am definetly looking for some insight on the backpack. I was thinking of making some sort of box with four holes from maybe plywood. I just don't want to make it super heavy because it's definetly wear and tear on the back. Especially if you can't sit down.

I included the picture of what the backpack looks like in spiderman 2.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Great Costume...

Mmmmm I think there will be some problems with the torso fit...

All in all, great idea and will be watching this closely...

Would love to see the finished works. I say skip the lab coat but thats just my opinion I always like the way he looks without it. although he wore It sometimes in the comics In my mind Its more of the movie doc ocs thing unless it helps to conceil some of your pull string mechanics. but again thats just my opinion. Great concept.

The only reason for the lab coat was really to conceal my backpack a little more. I am afraid that everything will show. Not 100% sure.

I just finished the backpack. Now it's time to paint. Just arrived is my mannequin. I am trying to mount a mannequin dressed as Mary Jane and mount it to the arm that is facing away from me. This is just for an added affect. Labcoat just arrived as well. Now things are starting to come together. Will post again once painting is completed.

Here is my finished product. I did a first run at my local fast food place. They hosted a super hero night. I had some functionalty issues.

My rope broke from my claw, a screw came undone, and my lab coat was giving me issues.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back