Dr. Octopus - 2012

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Jellyhugo, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

I am currently working on a Dr. Octopus costume based off the comic book character. Not from the movie. I have the green suit, boots, & belt. Understanding that I have to work on my boots. Thought about wrapping foam around my chin so that would fill out the boot. I am also thinking of using a Lab Coat as well. What do you think?

2. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

For my arms, I am using four 3" black drainage pipes. For the claws, I used MDF Fiberboard. I am probably going to seal the claws with glue or something because they are definetly not very sturdy. My plans are making two arms move and the claws would open/close with a pull of a string. Trying figure out if it will work running the rope through my sleaves. I used 50lb fishing line for the claws. At the end of the drainage pipe, I have it tied to a key ring for easy access. As you can see I, I mounted the springs on the outside so the claws would open automatically when i release the string.

For my other two arms, I was thinking of securing a mannequin to one of them dressed as Mary Jane. We all know that there is some creepy spider-man person at these events. The other arm, I was going to mount a eye hook at the top and run a piece of rope through the tube and down my leg. The concept is that the arm would move when I walk. Haven't tried this out yet.

3. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

The biggest problem right now is the backpack. I bought this baby backpack off of some dude. Orginally, I tried to use one of those heavy duty styrofoam blocks and bolt it into the backpack. I duct taped it all up thinking it was going to hold. After I put one of the drainage pipes in it, i busted. So I am definetly looking for some insight on the backpack. I was thinking of making some sort of box with four holes from maybe plywood. I just don't want to make it super heavy because it's definetly wear and tear on the back. Especially if you can't sit down.

I included the picture of what the backpack looks like in spiderman 2.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

4. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

what a great idea.

I might have to do something similar for my Marvel prop wall that I will eventually get around to making haha

5. DJHAMMERHEAD

DJHAMMERHEAD Active Member

Great Costume...

Mmmmm I think there will be some problems with the torso fit...

All in all, great idea and will be watching this closely...

6. Nanak

Nanak Member

Would love to see the finished works. I say skip the lab coat but thats just my opinion I always like the way he looks without it. although he wore It sometimes in the comics In my mind Its more of the movie doc ocs thing unless it helps to conceil some of your pull string mechanics. but again thats just my opinion. Great concept.

7. Nanak

Nanak Member

Oh you know what would be great with this a 3 stooges moe wig they pretty much had the same hair style.

8. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Thanks for the hair idea. I would of never thought the moe wig. I will have to look into that here shortly.

9. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

The only reason for the lab coat was really to conceal my backpack a little more. I am afraid that everything will show. Not 100% sure.

10. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

I just picked up some plywood. I am going to attempt this with my back pack. Should have some new pics up in a couple days.

11. DOORMANMATT

DOORMANMATT Active Member

Good luck, always loved Dr. Octopus!

12. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Updated Pictures.

Here is another prototype for backpack that failed.

13. SampleName

SampleName Well-Known Member

I've always liked these costumes. I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

14. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

I just finished the backpack. Now it's time to paint. Just arrived is my mannequin. I am trying to mount a mannequin dressed as Mary Jane and mount it to the arm that is facing away from me. This is just for an added affect. Labcoat just arrived as well. Now things are starting to come together. Will post again once painting is completed.

15. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Cool costume, nice workspace and sweet bike! What kind is it?

16. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Thanks! Actually, its not mine so I am not sure what kind of bike that is. I could find out for you though...:)

17. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

I just finished my first and second test wearing the doc ock costume. Will post pictures later this evening.

18. wulwhite

wulwhite Active Member

Cool! I like it!

19. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

* man that looks pretty sweet

20. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Here is my finished product. I did a first run at my local fast food place. They hosted a super hero night. I had some functionalty issues.

My rope broke from my claw, a screw came undone, and my lab coat was giving me issues.

21. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

My second run was attending free comic book day at my local comic store this past saturday. I fixed the rope. I have two claws that can open and close. Everything held up good. My plans are installing a couple of snaps that would secure my labcoat to my vest.

Also contemplating installing two bright red led lights on my two non functional claws. I think I can put my backpack on the inside of my green suit to hide straps.

The last picture, Spider-man and I had an action fighting scene. It was pretty cool. As you can see, I messed him up. (ha)

What do you guys think?

22. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Also forgot to add, I need to get a beatles wig for hair style.

23. Eopie Herder

Eopie Herder Sr Member

Jason, I figured out how to make the arms more manageable for getting them on and off and will solve the lab coat issue too. Lets gets together soon and I'll show you my ideas.

24. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Sounds good to me. Also I need to drop red led lights in the center of the claws. Was thinking of a toggle switch and mounting them in one of the nooks. I am off this Monday and Tuesday coming up.

25. grey matter

grey matter Active Member

love that you are going with the green suit and lab coat.
    i have an idea for you for the coat and maybe even a revamp of the arms.
    i did a more recent comic version of doc ock for a friend a few years ago and we used plastic party cups as the arms (see pic). we jut stringed them together with a thin plastic tubing as a spacer between each one. this kept them very lightweight and we used fishing line to tether them to his actual arms so that he could "puppet" them. maybe you can use a similar idea for yours but then still have two that can me more sturdy to hold MJ if needed (also, i would suggest, as silly as it sounds, a blowup doll for her for weight as well).
    for this particular doc ock, he was wearing a black duster instead of the white lab coat, but the idea of a duster made it easy to conceal the connection point of the tentacles to the back since duster coats have the flap on the back. maybe you can make a similar idea for the back of the lab coat. anyway, i love seeing cool stuff like this, keep up the great work

Attached Files:

26. Nanak

Nanak Member

Love the costume.