Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
I was just going to tack this on the end of the entrants thread, but seeing that Weta put such time and effort into the announcement, and we even got a letter from Richard Taylor, I felt this deserved a thread of its own!

If you somehow managed to miss seeing all the amazing entries, please check this thread for all 51 incredible entries!

Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest Entries

Now, on to the incoming transmission from the good Dr himself!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Our Ryan won first prize !

COOL !!!! and huge Congrats !

Big thumbs up for all the other entries too of course ! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Congratulations to the winners, runners up and notable entries.

I couldn't agree more witht the results, 1st and 2nd place were also my winning order form the entires i had seen.

Great effort from everyone involved!!

I stayed up tonight to catch this and I'm glad I did. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This was the most fierce competition I've ever participated in. The winners are amazing and there are even more I'd tack on to the list (minifig and Zombie Killer are two that come to mind).

Reading those letters actually made me tear up a bit. The Weta guys are some of my heroes and the fact that they put this all together is really touching.

Have to go to sleep now. I'll get back to this in the morning.

Thanx Art and Thanx Weta. Fabbo contest. A wee bit embarrassed by my entry next to these. But hey...I knew I wasn't going to win before I entered. But to be able to share my ideas on an A Class stage. Wow! It has been a blast :) :thumbsup

Congrats, bud! For those who are scratching their head, plyskool2000 recently changed his name to Mr. Nagata and he is the grand prize winner.

When I was putting together all the photos for the entries threads all I kept telling myself was how thankful I was that I wasn't judging. I totally agree that this is the fiercest competition we have ever seen and the level of skill demonstrated by this community is simply breathtaking.

playskool, congrats on the win! You totally deserve it. Your customization fit seamlessly into the Dr Grordbort's universe and while I am not sure what specifically made the guys at Weta choose you, for me, I fell in love with that little grenade box from the very beginning. So clever. So cool. So well done.

Congrats again to you and to everyone. You guys have really raised the bar and whatever the next contest is, people are going to have their work cut out for them if they hope to equal what we have seen here!

I stayed up tonight to catch this and I'm glad I did. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This was the most fierce competition I've ever participated in. The winners are amazing and there are even more I'd tack on to the list (minifig and Zombie Killer are two that come to mind).

Reading those letters actually made me tear up a bit. The Weta guys are some of my heroes and the fact that they put this all together is really touching.

Have to go to sleep now. I'll get back to this in the morning.

Thanx Art and Thanx Weta. Fabbo contest. A wee bit embarrassed by my entry next to these. But hey...I knew I wasn't going to win before I entered. But to be able to share my ideas on an A Class stage. Wow! It has been a blast :) :thumbsup

No need to be embarrassed at all! We are very glad you participated. I can honestly say there wasn't a single stinker in the entries. While some certainly stood out, they all showed impressive skill and creativity and we hope you guys will be willing to give it another go in the future... in fact, Weta has already shared another, very different contest idea with me.... :cool

Well, I wouldn't have wanted to have to judge the best of those entries and I think basing the decision on "how badly I want to own it" is surprisingly fair. Very glad to have received an Honorable Mention and perfectly happy to concede to the highly deserving winners. Huge thanks to Greg and the Weta guys and to Art for making this contest happen. It's been a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Again, I'm honored to be a part of this amazingly talented community. I look forward to participating in future contests! Thanks again to everyone for making this happen!

Really humbling contributions, folks. Amazing work by all. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been to judge those submission. Congrats to all who participated.

Woah! An honourable mention. Was not expecting that! Kudos to the winners! Wonderful job fellas and well deserved! Thanks again to Weta and Art for putting this together and making it all happen! :D.

So... Whens the next contest? ;). Haha.

Cheers, Dave!

Great contest, and really great fun! I think the winners all did a fantastic job and it was a real pleasure to see all the other entries!

Hats off to Art, Weta and of course the winners!

Can't argue with the decision at all, they're all superb pieces and the quality on show is truly terrifying :)

This was a lot of fun and Ryan deserved to win hands down! Congrats to all! :thumbsup

I need to participate in more of these and...oh yeah, maybe even post now and again. I need to figure out where to display this thing. :lol

Dave

Congratulations! That is pretty much the order I called also. Really glad to see Weta had trouble narrowing the field and split the runners up, every one of these is awesome! Thanks again Weta and RPF, and Art, it was lots of fun.

Wait, what?!
raygun2.jpg

Holy crap!
Absolutely humbled being included in that lot.
Thanks for running this, it was a hell of a thing.

Whoa! This is awesome! Especially since I started making junk rayguns 3 years ago specifically because of the Dingus Directory. Thanks to the RPF and Weta. This was REALLY fun and I hope you'll do a contest like this every year. I know it's the "replica" forum, but custom work shows off the vast amount of creativity the community has. Cheers to all who entered! Mr. Nagata's was absolutely awe inspiring. And anyone who made theirs light up is some kind of genius as far as I'm concerned. Again- it was really fun.

Congratulations to everyone! This was such an amazing display of the ridiculous amount of talent on this board. I was really happy to see (several of my faves were there Self Righteous American Bison, Gutted Bison(my personal favorite), and Friesian Filliter. I had several other favorites that didn't make it but am really thrilled for all of the winners. For those who did not, my hat is off to all of you was well as I only dream of being as talented as all of you.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back