Dr. Grordbort Custom Manmelter - Finished!

tmax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Most who know me know I'm a huge Weta fan (I'm a Kiwi so it's like a national requirement). Especially anything designed by Greg Broadmore which of course includes his brainchild - Dr. Grordbort. I also happen to have a thing for steampunk, so you can see why these guns do it for me. Lol.

ahPjVtm.png

Managed to pick up a Manmelter while in NZ a couple years ago. Then last year found a guy in Canada selling 3 of the Grordbort guns which I purchased knowing we were heading this way. So I now have the Galiathon, the FMOM and 2 of the Manmelters.

zfhNVVA.jpg

KO1clFV.jpg

A653YM6.jpg

Rather than selling the second Manmelter I decided to custom paint one of them as Weta had themselves customised a few Manmelters...

6bvh9HE.jpg

If you've browsed my collection you'll see I'm a big Air Force fan and also collect stuff from WWII
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=277194
So a WWII airplane paint job is definitely on the cards! The question will be, what colours go where and what insignias to use

6QAmdoO.jpg

While I muse over these questions, I figured the best thing I could do was take the leap and prime the thing! That way there was no turning back right?

TsMRPau.jpg

I mean lets be honest, this is an expensive, limited edition, rare prop, so to go and paint over the amazing metal finish would just be nuts! I'm having second thoughts...

O38zvIX.jpg

Too late! :wacko

Last edited:
Re: Dr. Grordbort Custom Manmelter - WIP

Been thinking over what colours to use... I've always been a fan of the Corsair. Both the design and the colors, especially those grey-blues!

a48x1B6.jpg

Being a Kiwi it would be cool to use a colour scheme from a RNZAF plane. Luckily the New Zealand air force did have the corsair and in those awesome blues.

ALl4FSq.jpg

Ours also had a white underside which I'll incorporate. And definitely the yellow for accents!

79wevCq.jpg

So off to the paint store and found a couple of blues that I think will work. As well as a can of yellow. Quick test paint...

x0dzt5p.jpg

The dark blue looks black in the pic, but it's not. The variation in the dark blue is due to half of it having a black undercoat, they other half white. As the current undercoat is grey it should sit somewhere between the 2 shades.

looking foreword to seeing the end result of this. thinking Its going to look cool very cool. :thumbsup

Hour or so of masking

cnNwnLd.jpg

Light blue colour down

pXsIoLE.jpg

Wanted to customise the case too. Discovered that the pewter ray gun on the cover comes off with screws. Bonus!

NKianjt.jpg

The bulk of the case will the dark blue

7oGeYs7.jpg

The top will be light blue and the ray gun will be white

tgkMeuR.jpg

On with the show...

dz1K6w0.jpg

Used the model decals and some stickers on the case.

SIfXV3m.jpg

BvXOBR6.jpg

Originally the red writing said "Fenito Benito Next Hirohito", I kept the first bit but was able to get "Toxic Nitro" out of the last bit, which I thought was way cooler and kind of ray-gun'ish. Lol.

Added the New Zealand airforce insignia

cd9o8FX.jpg

Then gave it a matt clear coat

QmZwVny.jpg

The gun got it's next colour down

zaZtVaw.jpg

mEUyHMh.jpg

More masking, then the next colour

Fe25nQg.jpg

More masking

U9fTknm.jpg

And back to the light blue

I0wdwsl.jpg

Ready to un-peel

XBGoOYu.jpg

And taa-daa...

7KPx8vw.jpg

Just the details to add.

Here she is all finished. Used a lot of the model kit decals to give it a war plane look.

This particular gun was number 342 of 500, thus TYPE: 342-01

Ygzcsb9.jpg

Hr4Tua2.jpg

2sCPxot.jpg

HjJWGOd.jpg

YPe9biR.jpg

5eLnotb.jpg

ml70ymQ.jpg

PSLpity.jpg

QXjfiLt.jpg

zMjDi0V.jpg

9HqNOJ0.jpg

Still deciding if I should weather it or not. Weathering would help hide bad masking lines, etc.

Last edited:

That turned out pretty cool. I think if nothing else, a light weathering would complete it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back