Dr. Fate (classic)

samdu

Hello there, RPF! I've not been a very active poster over here, but I've read a TON of posts. Two years ago, I did my first cosplay - Marvel's Moon Knight. All in all, not a terribly difficult costume (though I did have my Mom sew the cloak - 43 years old at the time and had never touched a sewing machine :) ). Missed Dragon*Con last year, but am going back again this year. Decided to do another of my favorite, sort of off the beaten path, characters - Dr. Fate. Initially, I was planning on having the helmet and amulet a chromed brass finish. Looking into that further, however, I determined it was probably too expensive to do right. I tried with Spaztix and a yellow top coat - it did not go over well. Having never sculpted anything on this scale before, it was a bit of a learning experience. I now know which clays to use and which to avoid in the future. And will make sure to double check my measurements, as I ended up having to sculpt and cast the helmet twice, being that the first cast was too small. I also learned a ton about molding and casting. Next time should go a lot more smoothly. That said, here are the helmet and amulet. I'll post pics of the rest of the costume as I finish up the last details. Only a week and change before D*C. Anyway, thanks for looking.

IMG_20150822_184642.jpg

IMG_20150822_184710.jpg

Measure twice cut once as they say. It's amazing how many times I find that crops up in my daily routine...Helmet looks great so far. For future reference you may want to try using a filler primer. That will help lessen some of the little nicks and scratches that you don't usually catch till you paint it. Good luck with the rest of the project

Thanks for the tip. If I had more time, I'd have spent some (more) of it doing some Bondo and sanding. As it stands, I want to have everything ready before next weekend so I'm not running around like a chicken with its head cut off. The first cast (the one that didn't fit) actually came out a lot smoother from the mold. I tried something on the second one that sort of backfired. Again, it was a learning process. :)

Admittedly terrible photo of the whole suit minus the shoulder pieces, which I finished up this weekend. More, better photos when I get back from D*C.

fate.png

I saw you from across the outside Hilton patio and it was great. That is truly the sign of good costume. I am also thinking of doing a New 52 version of Dr Fate

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back