Douglas Rain, HAL 9000 of 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact, RIP.

Saw him at the Stratford Festival more than 15 years ago and enjoyed a very capable actor in control of his character and skills...he was more than HAL.
That said, an iconic role for sure. RIP Mr. Rain.

He did not allow his HAL voice performance to be used for anything other than the films, despite how lucrative the offer. This is one reason Hallmark had to use a sound-alike voice for this years HAL Plaque collectors ornament.

i think that was up to the Kubricks. anything related to the 1st film, anyhow.

Waters stated in a Rockline interview on February 8, 1993, that he'd wanted to use dialogue samples from 2001: A Space Odyssey on the album, specifically HAL 9000's 'dying' monologue. Stanley Kubrick, the film's director, turned him down on the basis that it would open the door to many other people using the sound sample.[13] Others think that Kubrick refused because Pink Floyd had not allowed him to use music from Atom Heart Mother in his film A Clockwork Orange.[14] Waters did use the samples of HAL describing his mind being taken away when performing live – specifically at the beginning of "Perfect Sense, Part I" during his In the Flesh tour, after Kubrick's death, and it was finally incorporated into the Amused to Death album for the 2015 remaster / remix release.

Last edited:
i think that was up to the Kubricks. anything related to the 1st film, anyhow.

Waters stated in a Rockline interview on February 8, 1993, that he'd wanted to use dialogue samples from 2001: A Space Odyssey on the album, specifically HAL 9000's 'dying' monologue. Stanley Kubrick, the film's director, turned him down on the basis that it would open the door to many other people using the sound sample.[13] Others think that Kubrick refused because Pink Floyd had not allowed him to use music from Atom Heart Mother in his film A Clockwork Orange.[14] Waters did use the samples of HAL describing his mind being taken away when performing live – specifically at the beginning of "Perfect Sense, Part I" during his In the Flesh tour, after Kubrick's death, and it was finally incorporated into the Amused to Death album for the 2015 remaster / remix release.

Did you ever saw 2001 with the music of "Dark Side of The Moon"? Extremely interesting for sure:whistle:

Some have implied that "Dark Side of The Moon" was actually made by Pink Floyd as an alternative version of the film original score.;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back