Double Eagle ESB DL-44 build - Quick and dirty!

Barcslay

Just put the finishing touches on my ESB DL-44 made from an inexpensive double eagle airsoft gun. We all know what it looks like at base level, so I’m going to jump right into my mods.

I started by dremeling off the selector switch and cutting the recessed square. I used common hardware store apoxie putty to fill it in and support it from the backside.
Then I 3D printed all the parts, filler primed em, and fitted a small spacer made from some flat PVC stock. I drilled a registration hole for some bailing wire to keep the mount from swiveling once screwed on.
Next, I dremeled off the top portion that is oddly round and made a simple piece to side in and act as a faux bolt on the upper. Just used some thin plastic from one of my protein containers. Used apoxie putty to sculpt the front of the receiver.
Test fitting all the parts. The 3D printed parts were printed at 0.2mm on a stock Ender 3x and then were lightly sanded to get the harsh lines off. Finally primed with 2 coats of Rustoleum filler primer, and wet sanded slightly with 220 grit.
Primed and initial paint. I used Ace Hardware flat black primer+paint. 1 light coat, followed by one slightly heavier coat.
Painting numero dos. This time I used Rustoleum chrome paint on the flash hider - 1 light coat, 1 heavier coat. On the grips, I just dry brushed my favorite combo, burnt sienna and black; multiple passes until I was satisfied.
And here’s how she stands today. The final weathering was done with gold and silver Rub n’ Buff - I just got a little on my rag and hit the edges after looking at reference pictures of where C96’s generally got worn the most. Once I was satisfied, I took the rag with mostly worn silver R&B and did a fast and light rubbing over everything to give it a little luster and a metallic effect - I think it worked well! The flash hider was just dry brushed with black, and then 2 part epoxied on cone part to protect from holster wear, nothing too fancy. Future floor wax on the ribbed part etc. Nothing too fancy!

Thank you guys for looking :)

Last edited:
Looks amazing, man! I'm currently working on a Double Eagle conversion (Hoth) as well and this was super helpful. Thinking about filling the inside with something to add some weight to the whole blaster but I'm not sure what to use just yet. I used fishing weights and hot glue for my Starlord blaster and it worked great, but I'm not sure I want to go that route again. I'm sure there's a better way lol. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Looks amazing, man! I'm currently working on a Double Eagle conversion (Hoth) as well and this was super helpful. Thinking about filling the inside with something to add some weight to the whole blaster but I'm not sure what to use just yet. I used fishing weights and hot glue for my Starlord blaster and it worked great, but I'm not sure I want to go that route again. I'm sure there's a better way lol. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I’ve been thinking the same thing, I was thinking of making a mould of the internal space and then using lead shot mixed in resin to cast a weight,

I’ve been thinking the same thing, I was thinking of making a mould of the internal space and then using lead shot mixed in resin to cast a weight,
That's a great idea! It would be a perfect fit and would balance the weight perfectly. Definitely let me know if you end up doing that and how it goes if you do

That's a great idea! It would be a perfect fit and would balance the weight perfectly. Definitely let me know if you end up doing that and how it goes if you do
Thanks I will, the blaster is quite down the list of builds, you could also melt the fishing weights in a tin can and pour in to a plaster or concrete mould, I’ve done that to make keel weights for rc sailing yachts.

Thanks I will, the blaster is quite down the list of builds, you could also melt the fishing weights in a tin can and pour in to a plaster or concrete mould, I’ve done that to make keel weights for rc sailing yachts.
I know a little bit about molding and casting but I'm not sure how to go about making a plaster mold of the indeed of the gun though. I haven't attempted the art of molding just yet but I've really been wanting to jump in

I know a little bit about molding and casting but I'm not sure how to go about making a plaster mold of the indeed of the gun though. I haven't attempted the art of molding just yet but I've really been wanting to jump in
Because it won’t be seen or have a lot of detail it should be easy. You could just press in clay or plasticine, pull it out and put it in the bottom of a container - like cardboard drink carton or plastic milk bitter - something that is water proof and easy to cut away, then pour in the plaster.

Just make sure there are no deep under cuts so it gets trapped, and also that the plaster is completely dry, when you tap it, it should make a shrill sound, put it on a radiator or in the airing cupboard for a couple of weeks, it’s likely to be a one off mould as the lead will burn the inside.

obviously melting lead can be dangerous, so don’t sniff the fumes and take care not to spill it on yourself, mealy it in a can and pick the can up with some mole grips or long handled pliers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back