Door to Heaven

xeno

Sr Member
I had some inquiries about making an Atlantis gate,
and I have been thinking about how to build the Atlantis Gate, and I think a lot of
problems could be solved by casting in a transparent resin, like epoxy.

you would only need to have some leds at the back of the glyph patterns
to have a good looking glyph.

I will make a test and take some pics on how this would look.

anybody know how the Atlantis gate light sequence looks like ??

Xeno

Stargate light sequence vid

now that all the lights have been built in, it's now testing time to get
the right look for the chevrons.
the outside lights look good, but the middle ones look to much like
points of light, this is due to the leds having a narrow beam.

I'll have to make it more diffuse somehow, but there is not much room
to play with, maybe I'll hollow out the parts to have more distance between
the leds.

the led brightness is great, I took this pic in daylight .. :confused

here is the older updates

did my first paint test, it's kinda hard as the original in the series is being lit
from several places and creates dark and light spots all over the gate.
I don't know if I should recreate that look or go with a general look,
my gf told me it reminded her of the metal meteorite inside pattern,
I think giving a more metal would make ir more mechanical looking
but would make it more difficult to paint :)

so give me some feedback on this guys :D

finished the mould for the outer ring detail (whatever it's called smile.gif)
it's not easy to cast, as the curvature has to be precise.

I'll have to adapt these to the shape of the gate, as shrinkage of the parts
and the place it has to fit between can differ slightly, and I don't want a
ugly gap.

the first 9 castings have been made and connected to each other,
the frame is pretty sturdy only getting the screws in is a bit hard
with the difficult angle to drill holes.

the back will be covered with a panel so to hide the wires and such.
and am still deciding as to use alum or styreen.

also have made moulds of all the rest parts and already
have some castings of that.
I did some experimenting with adding pigment in the resin, but
it did not get the result I wanted, but it's easyer to see if the casting is good.

due to the hot weather here, the resin only is workable for 2min's so you
imagine the speed I have to work to get the resin in the mould and brush
all the airbubbles out befor it sets, sometimes only seconds after I put the
lid on the mould it's set :)

"the idea is to only make finished gates with or without lights
depending what you want.
there is not going to be a subscribe/order list, it will be sold when a
gate is finished, so no waiting or problems with late delivery :))"

Xeno

DSCF1781s.jpg

DSCF1745s.jpg

DSCF1732S.jpg

backpanels.jpg

DSCF1720s.jpg

DSCF1702s.jpg

DSCF1703s.jpg

DSCF1670m.jpg

measurements.jpg

Oooo. You could put a mirror in the middle and it would be all practical-like. :p

There's no way Doctor Girlfriend will object now. :love

- k

Originally posted by phase pistol@Apr 17 2006, 11:51 PM
Oooo. You could put a mirror in the middle and it would be all practical-like. :p

There's no way Doctor Girlfriend will object now.  :love

- k
[snapback]1228076[/snapback]​

better yet, put some padding on it and turn it in to a toilet seat. Then every time you flush the toilet, you can pretend you're going off world (or at least sending Mr. Hanky off world). Then it's practical AND it looks just like it does on the show.

You could be the General Hammond of the TGC (ToiletGate Command) and send hundreds of turds on off world missions. Put a little keypad (with gate symbols, of course) next to the toiletgate and dial up your favorite off world site. Of course, the TGC is more like Atlantis where everything is a one way trip (I hope - I don't think you want anyone coming back through the gate).

-Fred

better yet, put some padding on it and turn it in to a toilet seat. Then every time you flush the toilet, you can pretend you're going off world (or at least sending Mr. Hanky off world). Then it's practical AND it looks just like it does on the show.

You could be the General Hammond of the TGC (ToiletGate Command) and send hundreds of turds on off world missions. Put a little keypad (with gate symbols, of course) next to the toiletgate and dial up your favorite off world site. Of course, the TGC is more like Atlantis where everything is a one way trip (I hope - I don't think you want anyone coming back through the gate).

Man it is scary how much thought you put into that. :p

Originally posted by Jades Dark Heart@Apr 18 2006, 02:21 AM

Man it is scary how much thought you put into that. :p
[snapback]1228126[/snapback]​

What's even scarier is that I didn't. It all just sorta popped in there. That's the part that really worries me :lol

-Fred

L M A O

Very nice. I never knew you were into StarGate. Then again I guess it doesn't come up when discussing droids.

Nice fine detail. It looks very good. Let's just say I have studied the gate very closely for a project I am working on.

I do like the mirror idea. Any plans to light it up?

Alex
Styrofoam Guy

Hey Alex great to see you here, and yes sometimes you need a break
from droiding :)

I would be very interested in all info you got, in excange for mine LOL

and I'm working on a light system, and casting parts in clear resin,and also
going to make room for a mirror.

but remember guys it's going to take me some weeks to finish this ..

Xeno

just a small update.

I did all the parts for the dailer mechanism and top wings, and are ready to be molded.

then onto the next part, the outer ring construct (or whatever how you call it :D)

Xeno

DSCF1670m.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p0sitr0nic @ Apr 18 2006, 02:51 AM) [snapback]1228149[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

L M A O
[/b]

Should we expect a DVD coming to stores soon?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekmage3000 @ May 2 2006, 04:07 PM) [snapback]1236975[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p0sitr0nic @ Apr 18 2006, 02:51 AM) [snapback]1228149[/snapback]

[/b]

L M A O
[/b]

Should we expect a DVD coming to stores soon?
[/b][/quote]

Of course - there's entire box sets to be had. There are just too many alien races to be crammed in to one DVD. There are the creators of the Gate system, the Anuscients and the maintainers and guardians, the Assguards and don't forget the evil alien race the, Goa'stool.

I don't want to give away any more than that, otherwise there'd be no reason to buy the set.

-Fred

P.S. Great work on the gate, by the way. I'm definitely interested if can be done with LEDs in the chevrons

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back