Doomguy

Roadkiller

Doomguy, the orginal badass! I've always wanted to do the costume, but there is the difficulty with what we saw in the games and what would be an interesting costume.

A shot from a multi-player game of Doom 2:

Someone extrapolated that it would look like this in "high-def":

I'm hoping to come up with something close to the second picture, but remaining faithful to the in game model.

Starting with the helmet. There are several paper models of it on-line. I found a Pep model of it, unfolded it, and produced this:

Of course the visor needs to be filled in:

Then I built in some braces and sloshed some Smooth-On around to give it some strength. It came out pretty sturdy:

Thanks Conqueror_Worm :thumbsup

My original plan was to use air-dry clay over the model to create detail. But I didn't lay it on thick enough and had cracking issues:

However, optimistic that I could solve the problem by keeping the clay damp and wrapping it in plastic so that the clay dried slower, I forged on:

After carefully dampening down the clay so that it dried over several days, the results did seem satisfactory. However, once I started to work with it, it flaked off the model and I was back where I started. I still think the method will work, but you will need to lay the clay on at least a 1/2 inch thick.

I will continue on.

Me too Strickler. Although Doomguy isn't particularly detailed, the character is iconic and I hope I can make a decent tribute.

Back at the helmet with the more traditional auto-body filler (Bondo brand), glazing putty and filler primer:

Aw man, so many good memories! Used to go to my dad's work on 'sick' days from school and played on their lan :p Those were the days :D

Haha, I fell in love with Doom in a similar way. A group of us were installing a LAN in a large building but at lunch all production stopped as we tested the network's throughput by planning Doom. We would take over whatever offices were empty that day and gleefully frag each other.

Since this project is in many ways an experiment, I decided to try something else I've never done, making a mold with silicone caulk.

(Not shown, the liquid dish washing detergent needed to add a little lubrication to the water)

I'll necro this thread to show the finished product:
1476295_628042290593736_124017090_n.jpg
vlcsnap-2013-12-13-19h23m01s24.png

Oh these are effin' great! I love the Q3 version of this helmet and it can work for Crash as well!
I've already contacted FastForward but if anybody else has the files and feels like sharing, it'd be awesome!:)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back