Doomed! Roger Corman Dr Doom mask 1994 (Ready!)

Vandark

Sr Member
really struggling to get a clay wall built for the support shell. just can't find any clay locally.... tried chavant and it just wont stay in place!

this is all part of the learning I suppose.

I'd do the shell in one piece, but I don't think I'd ever get the mould back out again...

Psicorp7

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
really struggling to get a clay wall built for the support shell. just can't find any clay locally.... tried chavant and it just wont stay in place!

this is all part of the learning I suppose.

I'd do the shell in one piece, but I don't think I'd ever get the mould back out again...
If it is just a temp wall, try Play-Doh and tin foil. Cheap and works great. Plus you can throw it away if you want and not feel bad.
Or like I do, give it to some kids!

Vandark

Sr Member
If it is just a temp wall, try Play-Doh and tin foil. Cheap and works great. Plus you can throw it away if you want and not feel bad.
Or like I do, give it to some kids!
great idea! how does it compare to something like sculpey? sculpey sticks to the silicone, but it's very soft.

I've not used play doh for about 40 years..... does it still smell as good?

Notbob

I'd almost recommend some polyester fiberglass resin and chopped strand fiberglass. I recently did a mother mold using that stuff and I was super pleased with the results. The polyester resin will break down the fiberglass and you can really form it to the silicone. I think you would need some "keys" on the silicone first. As an added bonus, polyester is relatively cheap. I bought a quart and cloth for $25.
Good luck with it!
If you are selling castings of that please count me in!

Vandark

Sr Member
I'd almost recommend some polyester fiberglass resin and chopped strand fiberglass. I recently did a mother mold using that stuff and I was super pleased with the results. The polyester resin will break down the fiberglass and you can really form it to the silicone. I think you would need some "keys" on the silicone first. As an added bonus, polyester is relatively cheap. I bought a quart and cloth for $25.
Good luck with it!
If you are selling castings of that please count me in!
Thanks for the suggestion!

Psicorp7

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
great idea! how does it compare to something like sculpey? sculpey sticks to the silicone, but it's very soft.

I've not used play doh for about 40 years..... does it still smell as good?
Softer than sculpey but easier to find and cheaper. I have used it on a number of molds to hold temp walls. You can also use sculpey. I use the tin foil to give the edge a bit more structure and the wrinkles make nice keys to fit the two halves together again. Good Luck!

Yep! Still smells the same!

Vandark

Sr Member
ok, this is my sculpey wall..... so you think this will work? I'm using plasti paste.

it's not very smooth, but it's the best I can do with it falling apart! what's the worst that can happen?

Psicorp7

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That will do just fine. Just remember to use plenty of the mold release to get a clean removal.

Vandark

Sr Member
just done a quick toilet paper mother mould to test the water for a one piece shell, haha! to see how easily it will release!

nick daring

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Woo hoo! Glad to see this project is finally moving forward!

I use the sonite way too. Works great!

Plasti paste is really easy to work with. You should be good to go.

it looks like you should be able to go with a one piece mother mold. Looks like you put on a thick enough shell of silicon to smooth out all the features. I'll be curious to see how your test goes!

Can't wait!

Attachments

Doombot13

Jr Member
This is Fantastic! Looks like you're doing a great job too! And if have have any castings to sell count me in too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sithlord23

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Great stuff! Love that version of Doom. Pretty true to the comic look.

I would also be interested if you do a run! :)

Vandark

Sr Member
ok, I've made the support shell as a one piece... but couldn't get the mould or sculpt out of it!

ended up slicing the shell in two with a dremel! lesson learned.

luckily, the shell still works!

I will be doing the first pull tomorrow (monday) fingers crossed!

nick daring

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You should be able to add flanges to the edges of the cut if you wanted to be able to secure them back together.

Best of luck!