Don't Look Up

I've been looking forward to watching this because it sounds really funny. Not sure about Jennifer Lawrence's haircut though, but hey people had to fend for themselves during quarantine.

I caught this last night and it's okay. The writing is there but comedy is just a tricky thing to film. I found that the movie cuts itself short by editing the on jokes (quickly cutting to get a reaction before the joke finishes) rather than letting the material breathe so I found myself laughing very little throughout, despite recognizing what was funny in the scene. This teeters on satire more than a straight comedy film and that's harder to do because the writing can either be too on-the-nose or it can lose the plot as it goes ("Sorry to Bother You" comes to mind; strong first 2 acts, loses steam in its third). This leans more to the former than the latter, but I'm really glad the story actually followed through on its premise.

It didn't quite cross the finish line for me but it is decent for what it is.

I freakn loved this movie, I think the end scene wasn’t needed. But I loved it. I’ve been recently introduced to some scientists, and 2 of them work nasa

the way Leo presents himself in this movie is EXACTLY how these engineers act.. I kept laughing because of how identical they behave lol

This is satire more than straight comedy like idiocracy but its pretty sad how real it is.

Its also a blatant allegory for climate change, made more visible with an incoming comet and we are already reacting this way.

I did think the ending was unrealistic though.

I watched this on the weekend and everything the film was commenting on were the reasons I disliked it. From the ADHD, frenetic editing for the social media age of no attention span to the stupidity of the characters.
I'm aware it was all intentional but it wasn't an enjoyable film to watch.

I watched this on the weekend and everything the film was commenting on were the reasons I disliked it. From the ADHD, frenetic editing for the social media age of no attention span to the stupidity of the characters.
I'm aware it was all intentional but it wasn't an enjoyable film to watch.
Have to agree, it was just too real to be entertaining....which makes it a sad statement of how useless the human race is. The movie was trying for biting social commentary, but comes off as weak comedy featuring cardboard characters.

The ending was just plain dumb, we will never get off this planet successfully to go anywhere or colonize anything and if we do we'll 'F' it up just like we're doing now.

Is it our nature to destroy ourselves.

Have to agree, it was just too real to be entertaining....which makes it a sad statement of how useless the human race is. The movie was trying for biting social commentary, but comes off as weak comedy featuring cardboard characters.

The ending was just plain dumb, we will never get off this planet successfully to go anywhere or colonize anything and if we do we'll 'F' it up just like we're doing now.

Is it our nature to destroy ourselves.
Yeah the ending was really unrealistic. Didnt want to talk about it because spoilers but

rare Earth theory and the vast universe makes finding one randomly near impossible. The president is highly incompetent reminiscent of a certain president but it was an exception rather than the rule.

Also doubt millionaires can safely board a ship to escape when there is a strong anti-rich sentiment, especially since I doubt millionaires want to do hard labor when they arrive on the new planet.

Last edited:
Loved this movie. I wasn't expecting an emotional gut punch at the end but I felt it. A wonderful commentary on where we are as a culture at the moment. It was exaggerated to show some points but not by much. Funny to think that this director also did Anchorman. Stay classy RPF!

I haven't seen it yet but when I saw the trailer, I felt this was going to be my favorite movie this year! I hope it's half decent :) trailer was one of the best I've seen in a looong while

Yeah the ending was really unrealistic. Didnt want to talk about it because spoilers but rare Earth theory and the vast universe makes finding one randomly near impossible. The president is highly incompetent reminiscent of a certain president but it was an exception rather than the rule. Also doubt millionaires can safely board a ship to escape when there is a strong anti-rich sentiment, especially since I doubt millionaires want to do hard labor when they arrive on the new planet.

At least they all get eaten by dinosaurs in the end. No one lives and it's at least fair in that regard.

At least they all get eaten by dinosaurs in the end. No one lives and it's at least fair in that regard.
very true although to be honest, they would have died out regardless. They were millionaires with skills useful to a developed society, not developing one from scratch. It would have been far more prudent to load the ship with farming tech, seeds, and books on basic farming techniques and stuff so the survivors could try to survive on the new planet.

I think im more sad about the fact that this ending was still more positive in several ways. The comet is quick, blatant and impacts everyone equally. Climate change impacts everyone on Earth but at different severities with the countries able to do the most change (China, US) suffering the lowest impact relative to other countries. So the continued denial campaign will still be very effective.

very true although to be honest, they would have died out regardless. They were millionaires with skills useful to a developed society, not developing one from scratch. It would have been far more prudent to load the ship with farming tech, seeds, and books on basic farming techniques and stuff so the survivors could try to survive on the new planet.

I think im more sad about the fact that this ending was still more positive in several ways. The comet is quick, blatant and impacts everyone equally. Climate change impacts everyone on Earth but at different severities with the countries able to do the most change (China, US) suffering the lowest impact relative to other countries. So the continued denial campaign will still be very effective.
completely agree with you

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back