Done with EFX/Who is Ep7 Prop Licensee?????

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Tom1971, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Sad to say but I am done with this company. I have been a huge fan of both Gino and Bryan and had numerous EFX items that I just loved but this company can not continue to be supported with the way they do business.

Once again they have just thrown a bunch of borrowed items from other prop makers on display. The same gray prototype Boba from how many years ago it still just sitting there.

Their customers beg for updates and get nothing. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of deposits and nothing. A website years out of date and an embarrassment if I was the owner.

Prototypes years old with nothing new developed.

I am sorry Gino and Bryan. I have really enjoyed talking with both of you but how EFX is handling their customers is unacceptable.

It was bad enough when you were the only option but Anvos is not only showing people how a company should act in this community but with them and so many others offerings there is just no reason to deal with you.

I really and sincerely mean it when I say I am sorry to say this but this behavior at these shows, just showing a huge pile of stuff when you won't provide the slightest update to customers who have paid tons of money to you, is just not acceptable.

I have defended EFX a lot and there is just no way to do it anymore.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

Re: Done with EFX

I think you are confusing companies with the borrowed props line.

3. eifion

eifion Well-Known Member

They're still displaying their "pie in the sky" range at Cons then.

I've never owned anything from EFX and sadly it seems I never will; canceling my Scout and the ESB Boba I desperately want will probably never materialize. It's a shame because I'm not sure Anovos will fill the top end display prop niche, their stuff looks nice but a little idealized for costuming.

Wes R likes this.
  4. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

It's sucks too because my RMQ EFX Vader was one of the greatest pieces I have ever had, seen, or heard of and I will get another, hopefully some day, but enough already.

I agree that Anvos will leave a certain hole but I can't imagine EFX lasting much longer or Disney allowing a licensee to do business like this

Plus where in the heck is the episode 7 prop licensee??? We have seen a ton of props from the film so what's up with that????

Luke Skywalker likes this.
  5. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope someone is doing it, but I don't recall hearing specifics. I know Anovos is doing costume items, Got Maul posted on a thread about Poe Dameron that they would be doing that costume. I would imagine others are planned as well.

Usually companies cannot discuss or show items prior to a specified date. I believe Anovos has some sort of permission to show off the Star Wars:TFA Stormtrooper armor at Star Wars Celebration.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    JJ Griffin and Art Andrews like this.
  6. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

That is what's weird. Anvos already said no props. You would think they would want licensees ready before the film, as all the others are, showing off all their products except any Ep7 props????? Very Strange.

7. Mara Jade's Father

I'm guessing eFx has the license. They may very well have products ready to release or at least put on pre-order when they are allowed to do so. It's just like Hasbro, Lego, etc... they already have them designed and ready to ship but we have yet to see the lines. I believe Hasbro said something about 4 SEP.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  8. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I get the secrecy of the product but wouldn't EFX let us know they have the Ep7 license?

9. cboath

cboath Master Member

What good is an E7 license to the buying public if nothing will be out before Episode VIII?

JJ Griffin and Stormie like this.
  10. Mara Jade's Father

I honestly don't know. I think I remember companies in the past reply to questions like that with "no comment" or "we can't discuss it". Maybe it has to do with company press releases as they often mention the licenser as well and they have the say on the date of the announcement as well. That's just all speculation as I have never dealt with anything like that. I just know that it not as simple as a lot of people assume.

11. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Rebelscum has some questions answered by EFX.

Same old, same old.

Still getting the Obi Reveal.

Great stuff coming

bla, bla.

12. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

From the Panel Discussion for EFX and the rest:

The panel was moderated by Lucasfilm's "Hard-Line" Licensing Team member Anita Castellar. Anita was quick to point out that there wouldn't be anything discussed regarding The Force Awakens.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    JJ Griffin likes this.
  13. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

So EFX apparently just borrowed an R2 from someone in the R2 Builders club.

Wow!!!!!!

Wes R and JJ Griffin like this.
  14. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

I wholeheartedly agree with Jameth1971. I have many eFX items, & I enjoy them to this day. Their Vader Legend took a very long time to arrive also, but we got updates & communication as to its status. Not a lot, but vastly more than what we get now. I want them to do well. I like their quality. But I get the feeling they don't care anymore. I have their Biker Scout Legend on order, & I will keep it on order. But I'm more excited about my soon to be arriving RS Biker Scout helmet. Ordered long after eFX, & looks to be arriving long before.

15. eifion

eifion Well-Known Member

I bet the busts are nothing more than someone's costume thrown onto a bust stand as well.

JJ Griffin and Art Andrews like this.
  16. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

That's why I get the feeling they don't care. The "up coming" items they're showing are, in reality, really just dreams. & it's half hearted on their part. They haven't done anything lately, but here check out someone else's stuff.
    In today's age of the Internet... if I want someone else's stuff, I'll get it from them directly.

17. Edwardowan

Edwardowan Sr Member

yes. its a personal droid of Chris Reiff who is well known in the star wars marketplace and an R2 Builder club member. He custom built that droid in his shop using measurements and pic taken from screen used droids at the Lucasfilm Archives. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chris_Reiff

I do think it a bit unfair to use that as the "prototype" to market a future product. they had better do a good job of it! :D if Chris is guiding them in the design and they base their work on his droid it will be as accurate as any screen used droid as Chris' droid is the most accurate replica build to date. IF eFX takes proper care and reproduces every detail accurately it will be a nice but expensive offering. I would imagine they will go with fiberglass for the final product though.

Luke Skywalker likes this.
  18. Mara Jade's Father

But that practice is nothing new. Aren't most the items shown from fan-made private collections? I know MR did the same thing.

That Falcon has been in development since 2009. http://www.efxcollectibles.com/c-24-istar-warsi-in-development.aspx

I don't want to bust on them for the lack of items/production this past year because as far as I know, they might have been busy with Star Wars: TFA items and they are not allowed to talk about them. I have no idea if that is true, but I have to remind myself, I am an outsider.

I think pre-orders are a big problem in this hobby. I rather them not take orders/money till they items were in stock or the items were far enough in the process that a realistic shipping date could be made.

19. DBoz

DBoz Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. I also collect 1/6 scale figures and the preorder/delivery cycle is completely insane. I'm OK with preordering if the time between order and delivery is reasonable, but these days it has become the norm that the wait is at least 1 year and on some items it's stretching to 1 1/2 years or more. That doesn't include the inevitable delays. I would much prefer they wait until the production cycle is closer to release before they announce and put things up for order.

20. jkno

jkno Master Member

TK1701 who works for EFX declared on Rebelscum: "Actually, they (EFX) just renewed the license for Episodes 1-6. So not any time soon."

Yay! 10 more years (or so) and we'll only see finished 2-3 helmets and one studio scale...

banthapoodoo likes this.
  21. kontherun

kontherun Active Member

What about gentle giant. I preordered the 1/6 scale R2D2 to go with their C3PO so many years ago that I can't even remember when. That was a big no show.

22. jkno

jkno Master Member

Did you pay for it?

23. kontherun

kontherun Active Member

No, but only because they didn't have that option available. I all ready had the C3PO so I never thought that they would drop the ball on R2D2. It was a preorder with my credit card info so they could redraw payment when it was ready.

24. jkno

jkno Master Member

That's a difference between EFX and GG.

25. kontherun

kontherun Active Member

You right!

26. Qui-Gonzalez

MJF made my point. I guess it is easy to let Anovos slide when they use this practice, but eFX, who has actually released SOME of their SW stuff is slighted.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

27. Mara Jade's Father

Who is letting Anovos slide? This thread is about eFx. If you got a beef with Anovos, start a thread and see if people are just being patient or if they have had the same complaints.

28. cboath

cboath Master Member

the slight is much less about demoing stuff not theirs, nor about the length of time to release, but substantially more the fact that Anovos communicates with their customers more in a week than EFx has in 2 years....Then you can add the stuff made by others that Anovos uses is from the guys they're using in making their pieces as well.

29. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Anvos' communication is awesome!!!! That is the difference. The main complaint with EFX that both Gino and Bryan know all to well is their communication is pathetic. They know it, they know the fans hate it, and they don't care. In Gino's defense Bryan is the owner and does not seem to understand the community. Gino may want to share more and is not being aloud to. There is no defense for their behavior. It's screw you all I already have your money. Who else said that, oh yeah,...Charlie Sheen.

Keep in mind I have defended EFX up the wazoo (The exact measurements of a Wazzo is up for debate). There has been no update on the EFX Boba since it was announced. Seriously??? No update on the Scout lid everyone already paid for. Borrowing fan props to pass off as upcoming EFX stuff.

Anvos is a concern as they have taken an ungodly amounts of deposits and no one has seen a single finished item but their communication and response in the community has been incredible and that earns some faith and favor.

Unless I can not find a substitute I.E. RMQ Vader helmet and Luke Reveal Saber I will only choose EFX as a last option. There are better options and much better service.

A former Huge EFX fan.

Tom

30. mykindofscum

mykindofscum Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wasn't eFX founded by people from Master Replicas? I vaguely recall something like that from a while back.

31. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Supposedly the Trek Props Anovos has on display right now are fan made kits

32. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

To be fair to Anovos they are a reasonably new company and time will tell on whether they deliver and in what timescales.

eFX have been on the go since 2007 and have a track record of taking deposits and payment and customers waiting for what can only be described as unreasonable times for products.

I bought the eFX Studio Scale Red 5 X Wing and at the time of paying was told that there was going to be multiple shipping options available to the UK. Due to delays on the X Wing as a show of good faith they shipped all US X Wings free. They never stayed true to their word on shipping options to the UK they just sent them out at the highest insured shipping rates and charged my credit card. By the time I got the X Wing it cost me almost double what a US buyer would have paid. I wouldn't have been so hacked off if it wasn't for the promise of various shipping options given prior to me paying which never happened.

I have bought other eFX items since and believe myself to be very patient as a customer but the legend Biker Scout Legend I ordered might just be the last time I use them.

I cannot and will not ever question the level of quality or commitment from eFX on making a good product but they should concentrate on getting one or two items out instead of having a big stand full of multiple teaser items that will take years to produce.

Don't get me wrong I am still really looking forward to the Biker Scout but the longer it goes the more tainted it becomes for me.

Wes R, niennumb1 and JetSetWilly like this.
  33. Qui-Gonzalez

The thing is it is too damned soon to tell. Let's see how one or two products down the line. I've seen as many pie-crust promises from Anovos as well. When is that Vader due for release?

The point is EVERY company does this. This is nothing new. They promise the world and fail to deliver. Anovos just happens to be the new kid on the block.

34. Qui-Gonzalez

You keep bringing this up, but this is exactly what Anovos did with the Vader and the trooper. Have they put out anything from the factories yet for display, or has it all been "Hey, let me borrow that!". I know the Jango they displayed was borrowed, as well as the Vader.

What is your point with that statement?

Edit: I agree the communication with eFX is crap. I've told Gino it is crap. Remember when MR had Amy here interacting with us users? I do. She got the same questions and gave the same answers over and over and over and over and over...

35. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

The point of my statement is Anvos is showing prototypes of products they are actually offering. EFX is just borrowing a bunch of stuff. Putting it on display and seeing what happens. Does anyone honestly think they will develop much of what was shown. That's the difference. I don't believe Anvos is showing anything they are not offering either now or very soon.

Obi Reveal, Star destroyer Studio Scale, etc.

36. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like they sent out a couple kits for product review

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  37. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Here's the thing I'm noticing about the whole eFX/ANOVOS prototype showing:
    ANOVOS are showing prototypes they are both making & selling... for the most part.
    eFX are showing prototypes they are neither making nor selling. Yet, what eFX is selling they aren't showing.

Wes R, niennumb1 and animefan like this.
  38. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Word !!!!!!

39. Mara Jade's Father

When Efx first came on the scene, the first thing they put on sale was the LE Stormtrooper helmet. It was not a preorder, it was an actual sale. Helmets arrived on doorsteps soon after. I wish that was the standard practice for companies these days.

Wes R likes this.
  40. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Sr Member

^^ Yes, I am getting tired of all this pre-order crap.

41. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

It´s pretty easy - just don´t buy anything preorder.

If everyone would do it that way, the companies would be forced to stop that way of doing business.

42. jkno

jkno Master Member

Since shipping has been brought up I can say it happened to me and other international customers as well. I got my TIE Fighter from a local distributor thankfully. But for Legend Vader EFX offered the shipping through FedEx only as you can see in the screenshot I took back then:

eFX FedEx Vader Legend shipping quote.jpg

I'm curious what insane fan would have paid $700 for shipping (unless the box would have been beamed directly in my house with Natalie Portman next to it :p), then to the grand total (helmet cost + shipping cost), you'd add 24% VAT and customs charges. At the same time BBTS and Razor's Edge (and other shops) were shipping Vader LE's with $150 by Priority Mail with tracking number (it would have arrived 2 days later than thru greedy FedEx). Yeah, EFX has a lot of care and respect for international customers too.

I think you mean Star Wars. From what I know their Star Trek uniforms are being made for some time already

43. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No I mean STAR TREK, specifically, the Phaser rifle and dolphin phaser being shown at Comic con

44. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Being displayed as products to come? Or maybe just as decoration for their ST suits and regarding stuff? All the ST stuff in their shop is for the costumes, only the QMX-Pgaser is a exception.

45. Mara Jade's Father

Apparently products to come from Anovos by their 11 July Facebook post:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  46. Mara Jade's Father

The problem with that is fans fear the quick sell out. It has happened before. Not to mention special exclusives that are very limited such as extra items with sideshow items and the biker scout pistol with the legends edition helmet.

Now, I myself have fought off those fears for the most part. I either take my chances till items are in stock or order via a retailer who does not charge your card till items ships and no penalty for canceling orders.

But now Anovos has raised the need to preorder by offering Tier Pricing. Ordering early leads to substance like savings. And for some people, that savings is a big deal for being able to afford that item(s).

47. jkno

jkno Master Member

I understand, I missed the Props from your message. Because most of the Star Trek suits and costumes are ready to buy on their site.

48. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Well, in that case they shall preorder if they think they need to, but don´t start whining later. They know the risc, they get what they asked for.

It´s OK to do that, as long as they ship around the estimated and said shipping date from the date they offered the product and picked up the money. They said Winter, we will see. As posted above a few months delay would be OK with me, but winter 2016 or later wouldn´t.

49. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

It's not just this hobby, preorders are getting to be a hot topic in every hobby as people think it leads to quality going down as the company has gotten the cash and can be lazy.

50. Mara Jade's Father

But do you think that risk is justified? We are not talking about buying * enlargement pills from a guy on Craig's List (not falling for that a fourth time). We are talking about a company licensed by LFL/Disney and has roots here on this board who are very aware of the history collectors have had with various sellers in the past. As consumers, we should be able to pay for goods and have them delivered at a promised date. And in a rare occurrence a product cannot be delivered on time, they should notify those who ordered it as soon as they are aware of the issue.

But that's the issue these companies are having.