Done / Completed Done/ Thank you

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just fishing on this one, guys. I've had several people ask me about this so I'm not sure if it's worth doing or not.
Anyway, I'm curious if the interest is there for a very small run of finished grails. These would be cast off an original, wide-lipped grail.

This particular sculpt has been seen in Profiles auction # 24 and 32 ( as seen below)

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm considering offering both versions. The cleaner of the two and my personal favorite, the weathered/heavy patina version.

I'll add a few pics below showing the finishing process w/ optional styles.
Price would be somewhere between 249.00 and 299.00 (really depends on interest)

-Rylo

Build-out:

Starting with the raw cast seen here (after clean-up)

attachment.php

First Coat:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Prepping for gold leaf:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Skipping ahead after burnishing...This is pretty much the finished (clean version) outside of just a very little bit of frosting.

attachment.php

Weathered version up, next. I really love this version above all the others. It just hits my mind's-eye with how a 2000 year old relic would look. The patina is very heavy on the original prop; more-so than most replicate properly. It's definitely an extreme patina w/ a heavy oxidized look.

NOTE: Because I'm geeky about finishes, I spent some time researching gold and oxidation. It can indeed take hundreds and hundreds of years for gold to oxidize. However, gold leaf (as the grail was rumored to have been finished in) would have oxidized in much less time. So, the original prop makers seem to have done their homework when they did the patina on this particular version of the grail. :thumbsup

attachment.php

More later, but you get the idea...chime in blow or PM me if you'd be interested. We'll see how this goes.

Let's call this option, Version # 1

attachment.php

Version # 2

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Re: Holy Grail / cast from original (ton-o-pics)

Orrrr, I could just offer up a few unfinished grails for 150.00 ea. like I did before and you could finish them yourself. I honestly don't want to finish them, but since so many people asked, I figured I'd see how this goes here. I've got about 10 people on my private lists who want these. If About 9 or 10 more chime in, it would be worth doing. Not worth the effort, otherwise. I'll give it a few days and see how it goes.

I'm cool either way. :thumbsup

I like to do a little leg work myself, so I may be interested in an unfinished...

I don't suppose you would give more pointers to how you achieved the look of the ones you did with heavy weathering... I believe you made a vid on the haunted mansion props? If that WAS you, it was a great vid... and using it to do up my Goofy door knocker.

Yep, that was my vid. Not really sure how I could do one for a grail. I'll give it some thought. Interest would effect my motivation, greatly. :thumbsup

Thanks

I'd probably be in for a version 2 too, depending on money situation at the necessary time! $300 might be pushing it for me though!

I might be inclined (depending on interest) to do the V1 grail for 249.00, but outside of a substantial interest in the # 2 there's it's unlikely I'm touching that one for less than 299.00

There's really a lot of work in that one. As noted, it's a piece we seldom see done properly. Most are afraid to go that heavy on the finish. It's actually difficult to force one's self into laying such a hard patina on there after spending all that time getting the leaf how you want it. Over the years people have become accustomed to seeing the lighter finish as apposed to the V2.

Let's not forget these pulls aren't exactly easy to obtain either. Getting decent interest via PM and e-mail. Let's let it ride a week or two. We'll see.

Thanks, guys.:thumbsup

For what it's worth. Everyone wants the (V2) weathered one, thus far.

Definitely in for a weathered heavy patina Grail cup. I'm with you, it's beautiful!

Payment when you need it.

Best
Mark
Indiana Andrews

Please add me to the list for Version #2 or if you decide not to the weathered patina, then Version #1 Thanks.

Thanks guys. We're looking pretty good, here. I'm out of town for a few days, but will update when I get back in. :thumbsup

Quick update.

And off course everyone wants the heavily weathered version!! The one that'll work me to death! :p

I've had more than enough interest to move forward with a small run. I'll offer the pieces in the order in which people chimed in. I've of course had (non RPF) collectors contact me too. I'm cleaning my plate from a couple other projects and will get more into this in about 6 to 8 weeks.

Stay tuned for additional details...Thanks guys!

-Rylo

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back