[DONE] Shriek - Villain from Batman Beyond

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Vox, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Vox

Vox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Shriek_Model_Sheet_I_by_Nes44Nes.jpg

This project has been a long time coming. I've loved the look of this character since I was a kid watching the show. I originally set out to make it when I first joined the RPF. Then, after researching, I realized just how far beyond my skills it would be to create a costume of which I would be proud. So it got pushed to the back burner. Now I'm tackling it.

I'm starting from the top: the helmet. First and foremost, I owe a debt of gratitude to @laellee for the 3D model of the helmet, not to mention the invaluable advice he has provided on how to tackle each individual aspect. Here is the render:
    3D_Render.jpg

It is actually 5 separate pieces. The body of the helmet, a visor buck (from which I will vacuum form a tinted visor), the "iris," the "pupil" and a backer plate unseen in the render which will live behind the "pupil" and act as housing for the LED that will illuminate in blue.

The pieces have slowly been 3D printed as time and money have allowed, but I finally have some progress to show on the helmet construction. I had it printed via Shapeways (expensive... but I think it was worth it). I sanded down the raw print with 150 grit, then it was time to tape it up and hit it with the primer.
    IMG_20150720_221106_675-1.jpg

I went through 4 coats of primer, wet sanding between each one with gradually finer grits, as necessary (320 to 600 to 1000). I alternated between gray and white, so that I would know how far I was sanding through the freshest layer.
    IMG_20150723_185044_499-1.jpg

Currently, it has received two coats of white. All that is left to do is seal it with a crystal clear enamel.
    IMG_20150726_201229_458-1.jpg

The visor buck is being printed by Shapeways right now. I also ordered the pupil from them in their Frosted material, so as to diffuse the blue LED (also in transit to my location). More progress to be posted as it is made!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    da wesheb likes this.
  2. laellee

laellee Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: [WIP] Shriek - Sound Villain from Batman Beyond

AWESOME. And you've probably got the only one in the world right now. :)

Vox likes this.
  3. akootbascomb

akootbascomb Member

I loved this character. And I love seeing people give some much needed love to less mainstream characters. Looks great so far!

Vox likes this.
  4. Vox

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I have some more progress to show.

The visor buck arrived in a black printed material, so first I sanded the lines down on that.
    IMG_20150802_104036_806.jpg

Then hit it with 2 separate coats of primer, wet sanding after each to make it nice and smooth.
    IMG_20150806_224212_095.jpg

Finally, I put a coat of black gloss paint on it because... well, why not? I had the paint handy and it will be fun to have it look like the visor.
    IMG_20150808_161942_082.jpg

Finally, here's a teaser for what's planned for the helmet's blue "eye"...
    IMG_20150810_192320_362.jpg

Progress has slowed because my purchasing power has slowed. I had a couple large, unexpected expenses in the past couple weeks. They were manageable, but I definitely want to recover from those before purchasing the smoked acrylic for the visor and the foam for the rest of the armor.

5. djd585

djd585 New Member

This looks great so far. Really looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

6. Vox

A test of the sound and speaker system I will be using in the costume. Bear in mind this was shot on a cell phone, with the speaker face down away from the camera, so the quality is crap, but hopefully you get the idea :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    laellee likes this.
  7. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

Absolutely love this. Love it! Wanted to do one for years. If you offer helmet casts please let me know.

8. Vox

I had an interest thread up in the Project Runs forum, but received nothing but crickets (not surprising really, considering it is a "deep cut" character out of the mainstream media). If this project gets enough people interested and wanting one, I may try again, but for now I do not plan on offering casts.

UPDATE TIME!

The acrylic came in, and my initial plan was to build myself an 18"x18" vacuum form box (plenty of tutorials online). Then I had the epiphany that the visor shape wasn't incredibly detailed, meaning I might be able to simply cut out a flat visor then use a heat gun to form it. So I used a costuming tape measure to measure the curved lengths of the buck, then transferred those measurements to the acrylic. That took about 1.5 hours since I wanted to be as detailed as possible. Then I went to the shop and, after getting covered in tiny acrylic shards (immediate shower following!) I had a flat visor form.

IMG_20150823_175750_977.jpg

I went home and started forming it over the buck. As I went along, I used paper clamps to secure the acrylic to the buck once formed. (Note: things like this should be done on a safe surface. I did mine on a tile floor, as opposed to a carpeted floor or wooden table, both of which are hazardous with a heat gun.)

IMG_20150823_202421_198.jpg

It was a slow process. I couldn't heat up the acrylic too much at any one time because it would pick up the texture of the towel I was using to handle it (too hot for bare hands). The whole buck was formed in about 2 hours, and fits pretty * well!

IMG_20150823_225842_045.jpg

Due to a cutting error, you can see the bottom of the visor is a bit slanted, but will be fixed before the next posting. You may also notice that you can sort of see through it in places. I will likely purchase some mirrored tint (like you might put on windows) and attach it to the inside of the visor, in order to preserve the dark coloring but cut down on the amount of light passing through from behind it.

I won't have another update for a couple weeks as I will be vacationing, but the next one should be a fully assembled helmet (lights and stuff).

9. GeekStation

GeekStation Active Member

This is absolutely fantastic. Always love to see Batman Beyond stuff out there, keep up the awesome work, Vox!

Vox likes this.
  10. Vox

Small Update: I've assembled the lighting wiring for the helmet. The battery pack attaches to a step-up voltage regulator, which also connects to the LED. I decided not to put a switch in it since I can just pop a battery out when I want to turn it off. All of that sounds really fancy and complicated, but I didn't know squat about it before this project (including soldering!). Use your projects as your own personal education, RPFers!

11218212_10105500373349530_6058836077888973019_n.jpg 12033096_10105500373269690_5394712017267341890_n.jpg

The full helmet should be assembled by this weekend! (Then I get to figure out that * torso...)

11. laellee

Looks great! And you realize the monster you've created.... Once you start getting into soldering and the electronics, you are going to want to over-complicate every project with extra electronics features from now on too. :) I'm speaking from my own experience; I started with a $6 soldering iron to build LED circuits, next thing I know I'm installing cam systems and programming microcontrollers. IT IS AN ADDICTION :lol

Vox and Ikras like this.
  12. Vox

Oh I can already tell. I've raised my own personal bar, and I must now suffer the consequences!

UPDATE TIME!

The helmet is complete. After a busy week, I finally had a couple hours to assemble everything over the weekend. It needs some internal padding to sit correctly/comfortably on my head, but other than that, I am thrilled with it! (Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.)

IMG_20150927_175333_516.jpg

Now I have a bunch of L200 foam on the way for the rest of the costume. I just have to figure out how to do it. This is going to be a bitch to template...

DigitalKid14, williamsboy and gledar like this.
  13. Vox

Thanks to what was a potential bed bug problem (EEEK!) my progress was virtually non-existent over the last couple weeks. Thankfully, that crisis should now be averted. I was able to at least purchase and receive the foam, Barge, and paint for the rest of the armor. Will I be finished by Halloween? Time will tell, but I am not going to rush it. While that is still the goal deadline, I want to make this as good as it can be, which may take more time. I can always reprise Red Hood if it comes to that.

Tonight I was able to make a 50%(ish) scale model of the forearm template, so that I could see what it looked like in three dimensions. Definitely helpful, as I was able to see what proportions of my template need to be adjusted. A big shout out of gratitude to Bill Doran of Punished Props for suggesting some ideas on how to tackle this complicated shape.

IMG_20151014_205421_498.jpg

14. Vox

After finally getting a template that gave me a relatively correct shape for the forearm (seen in pic 1 of this post, third from the top), I realized that without any sort of wrist movement, the costume looks very clunky and poorly constructed, even if the still silhouette is true to the source material. I can't find nor think of a cheap material out of which I could create the armor in such a manner as to allow the range of motion exhibited in the show, so I am creating the arm in two parts: the hand, and the forearm.

But first, for anyone unfamiliar, here's an idea of how much experimentation some projects require:

IMG_20151025_155333_094.jpg

Starting from the bottom, the first 5 are miniature prototypes with which I was experimenting on the template slope angle that would yield the truest curve for the hand. Once I got that, I built a full size model big enough to accommodate my entire fore arm plus the internals that will house the lights and sound for the palm sound generator. As you can see, it is quite large and rather stiff, even built out of just 1/4" foam. After that, I decided to downgrade to the separated armor. The first hand prototype (second from the top) was too shallow to fit both my hand and the fixture for the lights/sound. Finally, the top prototype was the right shape, so I cut out the circle on top to try mounting the dome accent from inside the glove, and decided it would be better to simply mount on top.

Below is the final template for the hands, shown resting on top of a simple base template. I anticipate tapering the sides of the base inward, and cutting a curve to allow for downward motion of of the wrist/hand, but figured I would post this as work in progress.

IMG_20151025_193420_565.jpg

Stress week has begun! The moral of this post: always buy extra foam (glad I did).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  15. collinE83

collinE83 Well-Known Member

This build inspired me to introduce the series to my son. Already through the first season. And when we got to the shriek episode I got to show him your progress. Great job on this! The build quality looks professional.

16. WhataboutTerry

WhataboutTerry New Member

I have no words other than yes... just yes.....and well great job!

Vox likes this.
  17. Vox

I am honored, sir! Thank you so much for the kind words; it means a lot and the encouragement is invaluable at this point. Also, kudos to you for introducing your son to some well written classic animation!

--------------

UPDATE!

I purchased 2 dome closet lights for the hand generators. After dismantling the lights, I removed the domes because I am using them as the controls (the parts that rest on top of the hand). I used a rotary tool to remove the flat rim that keeps it mounted to the lights. Here is a before and after pic.

IMG_20151026_191441_540.jpg

The actual fixtures will be mounted in the palms to be used as generators, with translucent blue acrylic replacing these domes. The lighting looks pretty cool and I can't wait to show you all.

The universe cut me a break after all the trouble that the hand pattern gave me. My first attempt at the chest/back template yielded exactly the shape I wanted.

IMG_20151026_225343_780.jpg

You'll note that it is not quite the same shape as Shriek's. I realized that if I made it come down over the shoulder, I would have nearly no shoulder mobility. While the end result would have looked straight out of the animation, it would only look that way in still shots. I decided that a variation on the design that allowed for more range of motion would be a far better choice, hence the above template.

After tracing that out and cutting the foam, I applied some Barge so that I could fit it together. While I gave that some time to get tacky, I "templated" and cut out the outer detail for the chest sound generator. You can see it below, fitted around the "sound generator" a.k.a. another, smaller closet light which will have the same aforementioned acrylic over it, and will illuminate.

IMG_20151027_223457_429.jpg

Once I put the chest and back pieces together, I stuck the above in the chest just to grab a quick shot. Nothing is glued together, which is why it is a bit crooked, and everything still needs beveling and (obviously) painting, but it all FITS.

IMG_20151027_225926_266.jpg

Thankfully, that should take care of the tough templates. The arm pieces should be a piece of cake, comparatively.

18. laellee

Wow. It's looking really good. Like, reallllyyyyy good. You are really nailing this for how it should look, real world. Awesome work.

19. Vox

Thank you! It all started with you, so I cannot offer enough gratitude.

-----------------

I am at an impasse.

On the one hand: I'm very close to finishing in time for Halloween, but it means I would have to cut some corners. (i.e. Only 1 coat of Plasti-Dip due to drying time, as opposed to my usual 2-3). I promised myself I wouldn't do that, but again, I'm VERY close... Not to mention, living in Chicago means that once mid-November comes around, building/painting anything outside (where I usually work when I'm going to make a mess) is probably impossible until April, so why shouldn't I try to get this done ASAP? Especially considering that C2E2 falls at the end of March and I probably wouldn't be able to do any more work on this before then due to winter weather.

On the other hand: next week is supposed to be beautiful here. No rain in the forecast, highs in the 60s all week long, low wind speeds; perfect for spraying outside, which means I could finish without rushing.

At this point, I do not think I will be finishing in time for Halloween. I want to make this thing right. It should only take me another week to complete, but for now, I am going to force myself to take my time.

UPDATE TIME!

I fired up the laser cutter at my local hackerspace to cut the acrylic disks for the lights. The bigger disks have notches cut into them to fit around the screw holes in the fixtures.

IMG_20151028_212837_522.jpg

None of them worked flat. The larger ones clearly showed the LEDs inside, and the smaller one (the chest) is actually just being glued directly on top of the existing plastic cover, which is domed. So it was time to get out the heat gun. It worked pretty well in the case of the smaller one because that is such a shallow dome. I liberally applied heat, then just gently pulled the edges down (to avoid rippling and unevenness) and it turned out looking pretty great once illuminated.

IMG_20151028_231304_985.jpg

The bigger ones though... because the original domes are so large, I couldn't heat form the acrylic evenly, to the point where I would be able to avoid rippling and still get them to fit in the fixtures. So they only have a slight bulge shape to them, rather than a full dome. Unfortunately, the 4 distinct LEDs are still very visible. I am currently deciding if I dislike it enough to just leave them off while wearing the costume. (I should point out that the camera is really picking up the lights; in person, the 4 distinct points of light are much more discernible.)

IMG_20151028_231007_065.jpg IMG_20151028_231015_447.jpg

Templates and fabrication of the arm armor and claws are next!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  20. Vox

Thanks to too many speed bumps, Shriek is not going to be ready by Halloween. I am bummed, but I also do not want to rush it.

Everything is cut, shaped, and has been heat treated. All that's left really is Plasti-Dip, paint, and the last bits of assembly. The Plasti-Dip/painting should be done this coming week, thanks to a beautiful weather forecast for Chicago. But here's a pic of everything laid out (minus the lights), to give you all an idea of what the final product will look like.

IMG_20151030_160308_329-1.jpg

Also: unless you really want that clean edge, always bevel your foam. Even if you are just barely shaving down the angle, it will look less like a fresh arts and craft project. (Pictured below: right claw has been beveled, the left has not).

IMG_20151030_131014_963.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    Armatus Cosplay likes this.
  21. Vox

Lots of paint work in process, which is tough now that daylight savings time is over and it is dark when I get home from work!

I am using this build to experiment with different types of paint, as well as different applications of Plasti-Dip, primer, and paint. For example, I am testing out a "primer+paint" option from Krylon on my upper arm pieces, after hitting them with just 2 coats of Plasti-Dip. But I should mention that there are certain parts of the armor that the Plasti-Dip never reached, due to how the armor was laid out on the table. The paint is covering just fine on the Plasti-dipped parts, but not so much on the other parts. I'll probably need a couple extra coats in those areas.

What I've learned so far is that an even coat of Plasti-Dip will save me some time paining, and I can probably skip doing separate layers of primer and paint, since the combined one seems to do just fine. (Granted, this for foam. Were I working on metal or resin, I would be doing separate coats so that I could wet sand between layers.)

Here's just some of the stuff I worked on in the past two days, first is the plastic domes (from the light fixtures that will become the hand sound generators), primed and wet sanded. I should note that I took some fine sand paper to the very smooth surface of the dome first, and I do not regret it. I think the paint would not have stuck as well had I sprayed it without any pre-treatment.
    IMG_20151102_203544_056.jpg

Over the past 2 days, I...
    -Applied 2 coats of Plasti-Dip to every piece (4 hour drying time for each application, black for the claws which had to be done one side at a time, clear on everything else)
    -Applied a coat of primer to all the hard plastic parts (domes, outer edge of chest piece, and visible part of hand generators)
    -Applied a coat of gloss gray to the domes (gloss black to come tomorrow)
    -Applied one coat of White to the arm bands

IMG_20151102_215110_929.jpg

What you see on the chest piece above (upper right of the photo) is a circle of contact paper covering up the light so that it does not get painted over. Contact paper is the stuff you might buy to line a shelf or a drawer, with one adhesive side. It is really useful for making custom masking shapes, such that simple painters tape would make far more difficult. I'll post a picture tomorrow of how I am using it on the domes.

laellee likes this.
  22. Vashishio

Vashishio New Member

This looks awesome, Vox. I love Batman Beyond and it's great to see someone tackle less prominent characters in the Batman-o-sphere. Can't wait to see the final result.

Vox likes this.
  23. Vox

Thanks to the unseasonably warm few days we've had in Chicago, I was able to finish all of the spray painting! I'll have pics of everything closer to the weekend, since most of it is drying right now. And let's face it, most of it was spraying white paint on white foam armor, which doesn't make for very interesting before-and-after photos. However, I did want to show you guys who I did the sound generators.

After spraying the domes gray (see previous post) I meticulously cut out the masking needed before spraying the black. It was a long process between the measuring, careful cutting, and even more careful placement.

IMG_20151103_200054_201.jpg

I sprayed 2 coats of black on those and on the chest piece, then carefully removed the masking...

IMG_20151104_183723_131.jpg

They are not perfect. Thanks to the steepness of the curve, there were some ripples in the masking and some black paint got underneath, so I may have to go back retouch that all up if my perfectionism gets the better of me. Also, if I could redo it, I would have chosen a lighter, more metallic silver for the gray parts. But as it is, I'm very glad with how they came out!

Psicorp7 likes this.
  24. Vox

As promised, here's a few more photos.

First the bad news: foam flexes, paint doesn't. the chest rim fits over the light fixture pretty snugly, which means it expanded just a bit while fitting it on there, thus cracking the paint. :( I have some fine paint brushes, so I am first going to try touching up the cracks with acrylic paint to see if that makes them less noticeable (I have already had similar paint-fissure problems on some of the arm pieces and the claws). If the touch ups don't work, well... thank goodness foam is cheap, and I may try using my local makerspace's paint booth with a more flexible paint (e.g. Krylon Fusion, vs. the Krylon Ultra Maxx and ColorMaster that I used this time).

IMG_20151105_180458_189.jpg

I couldn't let that get me down, though. I placed the chest and hand details to get an idea of how they look, and I am pretty happy with the result. Again, nothing has been glued yet, because I will be doing touch-ups, but I placed things to make sure it all fits.

IMG_20151105_180053_512.jpg

When I was originally spraying the claws here with Plasti-Dip, they were blowing all over the place because they were so small and light. I was able to fix that with a bit of painters tape rolled up and attached to the back. Spray, let dry, flip to other side and move tape to that side, repeat. No more flying claws!

IMG_20151105_180201_122.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has been following this build! It's been a ball so far, and I will continue to update this thread as assembly continues.

JWMines, Kitty Butler and laellee like this.
  25. Jue

Jue New Member

This is amazing! So great to see the Batman Beyond series getting some love, easily my favourite animated Batman series! Well done!

26. WireFox

WireFox Active Member

This build is looking fantastic, can't wait to see more. Wishing you the best of luck on your progress.

27. Vox

Thanks so much! I agree: the series has some GREAT characters that just do not get enough exposure.

Thanks WireFox! I am definitely going to need the luck.

I'll preface this update by saying I believe in a transparent process. This is a community that helps one another, and I have learned much from seeing people outline their mistakes. Now it is my turn, unfortunately.

As I said: the wonderful thing about foam is that it flexes easily, and therefore forms easily. But spray paint from a rattle can does not! On a piece that won't flex that much, such as chest or back armor, this isn't such a problem. But my design requires a little more give/motion. This was the result:

IMG_20151110_081128_220.jpg

Not exactly pretty. Unfortunately I had to scrap nearly all the armor. But I am not discouraged! I ordered nearly double the amount of foam I needed for just such a problem, and already have all new pieces cut out. I'll find a few hours this weekend or next week to hit the workshop and bevel them all.

Once again, I have to thank Bill Doran of Punished Props for his sage advice. He recommended using acrylic leather paints because they are made to flex, with an airbrush. Thus, a relatively affordable airbrush and air compressor have been added to my holiday wish list. I'll also be building a collapsible spray booth so that I can spray indoors over the winter. Thankfully, the airbrush means minimal fumes, so I'll only have to focus on containing the spray mist.

Setbacks happen. But C2E2 isn't until the end of March, which gives me 4 months to get this done (PLENTY of time). Updates will probably be put on hold from now until after the new year (since any progress I make before then will just be a redo of stuff I've shown already). Once I get to painting again, I'll post some new stuff.

Thanks for all the support, everyone! I, too, am excited to see this finished, the right way this time.

WireFox likes this.
  28. Vox

Almost a full 2 months off, but I now have a new set of armor, an air compressor, and 2 airbrushes (1 large capacity and 1 small). BACK IN BUSINESS!

I have also figured out my lighting situation for the palm emitters! As seen in my earlier post, the 4 LEDs made for a rather undesirable visual appearance with the initial model. So I ordered a small sheet of tinted visor film (usually used for Halo helmets).

I took this:
    IMG_20160113_205820_670.jpg

...took it apart and traced out a piece of film to fit inline with the base of the dome...

IMG_20160113_210039_898.jpg

...and put it back together. It definitely diffused the 4 separate LEDs. Unfortunately though, the filtered light was pretty dull, and a deeper shade than the chest and helmet...

IMG_20160113_210623_712.jpg

Back to the store! I found a different set of moon lights that look exactly the same from the outside, but inside only have a single small LED bulb in the center. Not as energy efficient, but I hoped it would give me a different appearance.

So I took the acrylic disc I had initially cut out...

IMG_20160113_210114_392.jpg

...and put it into the single bulb moon light.

IMG_20160113_210421_816.jpg

It's not perfect, but it is much brighter than the LED+film solution, and with the single light source it doesn't look so bad. Thankfully the R&D for this part was pretty cheap (moon lights are about $5 or $6 a pair).

If I can figure out a way to heat form the acrylic to the approximate shape of the dome that comes standard with the moon lights, I think that would ultimately give me the diffusion effect I desire. I'll keep brainstorming on that and any other alternatives, but for now it feels good to have found a viable solution.

laellee likes this.
  29. Vox

I did a little painting tonight. Just used regular acrylic black to paint the inside of the helmet. I taped the electronics to the visor to keep them out of the way and will glue them in place once the paint has dried. I started with a fine tip brush to get the perimeter and around the visor, so that I could be detailed as well as careful to avoid spots that were to remain unpainted. Then I used a sponge brush to relatively quickly fill in the rest.
    IMG_20160114_205437_814.jpg IMG_20160114_215800_849.jpg

I also did some testing of the leather paint on a scrap piece of foam. The only prep work I did on it was blast it with a heat gun for a few seconds. In the first shot, it is white paint on white foam but you can see how much I am bending the foam with out any cracking (yay!). The second shot shows the metallic silver (which will be used on the chest detail) next to the black. These are just single coat tests, applied with a brush, purely to measure the resistance to cracking.

IMG_20160114_211403_275.jpg IMG_20160114_211422_339.jpg

I was actually pleasantly surprised with how evenly a light coat could be spread with a brush. I will apply a few more coats to the test piece with a brush over the weekend. If I can keep the evenness consistent (i.e. get full coverage without any visible brush strokes) I may forgo the airbrush method because that will save me having to build a decent sized paint booth.

Stay tuned!

IMG_20160114_205437_814.jpg

IMG_20160114_215800_849.jpg

IMG_20160114_211403_275.jpg

IMG_20160114_211422_339.jpg

laellee likes this.
  30. collinE83

I'm kinda in the same boat with painting. I was thinking I could use a refrigerator box or PVC frame with a box fan to blow the air out a window so I could spraypaint, but I'm not sure.

Brushing on the paint thin seems to work pretty good like you mentioned, but the hardest part for me is staying patient, moving slow, and consistently applying it thin. I keep wanting to slap on more paint so I can move faster, but then of course, brush strokes start showing up.

And good job on the light dome. That attention to detail is what's kept this costume looking so professional.

Good luck.

31. Vox

Update!

I realized my forearm armor wasn't going to do too well without a bottom. In a test fit, it was rotating too much on my forearm to maintain the right silhouette, so I cut a base to put on it to help with the cohesion of the whole look.

IMG_20160121_214236_216.jpg

And the painting of the arm armor is complete. 2 light coats on both the black and white seems to be enough to get full coverage. All I have left to do on these pieces is a layer of finisher (Satin for the exterior, matte for the interior). The process was slower than I would have liked, but the results were great. Patience is going to be the name of the game going forward.

IMG_20160121_223830_754.jpg

32. laellee

Getting there! It's looking great!

Vox likes this.
  33. Vox

I thought about doing a black one-piece suit to try to achieve the same look from the cartoon. However, the animation style renders the humans with non-realistic proportions, and I concluded it would look weird. Instead, since I am already modifying the look for real-world application, I will be wearing a black compression shirt under the armor, with the black pants and black combat boots from my Red Hood build, pictured below.

Boots RPF.jpg Pants.jpg

My progress this week unfortunately does not have a lot to show, as I have spent the time figuring out:
    -How certain pieces are going to fit together
    -How to rig the speaker in the "glove" so that I can fit my hand in, it still puts out sound while keeping the speaker low-profile, and I can access the batteries to change them out.
    -How to do the above and be able to access the batteries for the light.
    -What orientation to fit the acrylic in the palm lights so as not to mess with the push-on-off switch unnecessarily
    -In what order I need to assemble and paint the hand to ensure maximum efficiency with minimal problems

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple things there, but you can see what I've been doing. My table is quite full of stuff at the moment!

Boots RPF.jpg

Pants.jpg

IMG_20160126_222517_457.jpg

34. Vox

Re: [WIP] Shriek - Villain from Batman Beyond

I swear, the only thing more meticulous than painting is prepping a piece to be painted. There's nothing like ripping 3/4" tape down the middle so that you can accurately mask out the complex curves of your piece...

IMG_20160128_223635_149.jpg

But after a LOT of blue tape and some paper to cover the larger areas, the arm guards are ready for the bottoms to be painted black. The interior will be painted black as well with a brush, so I only needed to mask off the top and the rims.

IMG_20160128_223557_466.jpg

The last thing I did tonight was assemble both the palm lights. They still need to be fitted into the gloves (after painting), but I don't have to worry about changing them any more.

IMG_20160128_224610_994.jpg

I'm excited for this weekend: barring any unexpected interruptions, I should be firing up airbrush and putting on some paint!

JWMines and laellee like this.
  35. Vox

I needed a way to mount the speaker in the palm. So I first traced the speaker into the inside of the palm. I cut a hole, slightly smaller than the speaker itself, all the way through the foam. Then I cut the full size of the speaker halfway through the foam, so that the rim of the speaker has a place to rest. Finally, I cut a swatch of a black t-shirt and super glued it to the inside of the hole, to serve as a dust protector for the speaker.

IMG_20160130_153941_484.jpg IMG_20160130_154935_759.jpg IMG_20160130_155316_593.jpg IMG_20160130_155730_019.jpg IMG_20160130_172231_546.jpg

I applied a couple of layers of black paint to the bottom of the palms with a sponge, to see what the coverage was like vs. application with a brush. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. You can see the difference between the painted and unpainted foam here. The painted side is on the left, the unpainted (interior) side is on the right. You can see where I tested the paint on the interior of the right piece.

IMG_20160130_174330_240.jpg

Finally, I mixed up some white and black paint with a bit of the leather paint thinner in some mason jars, since those plug directly into my Critter sprayer. Hopefully it comes out beautifully tomorrow!

IMG_20160130_185710_071.jpg

36. Vox

Painting is underway!

I "stole" an empty computer box from work, to serve as a make-shift paint booth. It doesn't eliminate all the paint mist, so I am still wearing a respirator, but it has done the job of catching and containing most of it.

IMG_20160131_135347_501.jpg

Below is a comparison shot of airbrushed paint (on the left) and paint applied with a sponge (right). There isn't much of a difference with this leather paint. The left piece is a bit streaky because that was the first piece I airbrushed and was still getting the hang of it. After another application, you can't see the streaks.

IMG_20160131_142836_368.jpg

Taping up the torso armor was a pain in the *. Took me near 2 hours to carefully get around all of those curved edges, but I didn't want black paint anywhere that white paint was going to have to end up.

IMG_20160131_230502_982.jpg

Of course, then spraying the paint is a breeze. The first coat (below) went on in about 2 minutes, including a refill of the tiny airbrush paint cup. It needs a 2nd coat at least, maybe one more after that, but it is best to let the leather paint completely dry before additional applications.

IMG_20160201_205341_147.jpg

For this particular project, I probably could have stuck with just a simple sponge or brush application. After 2-3 coats, you couldn't see any streaks from either of those. Yes, painting with those would take much longer than the 2 minutes it took to spray the coat you see above, but when you factor in the time taken to mask the entire piece, set up the airbrush and compressor, measure and mix the paint and thinner, and then clean the airbrush afterward, I don't know if I actually saved any time for what yielded the same results. That said, I see the airbrush being a boon in the future, so I am glad I have it. Nice to know I can use both methods with leather paint!

Attached Files:

37. Vox

1) There isn't really a glare, thanks to the backer plate on the interior. Once I get the battery plate glued back in place (removed it to paint the inside), I'll get a picture up.
    2) I'll have a picture of that in the next update. It will be buttons on the interior of the right hand piece.

Tonight I cut out and applied the masking for the chest detail...

IMG_20160203_210441_625.jpg

...and applied black paint to it, as well as a second coat to the interior of the chest piece. The masking did its job! I'll need to touch up a corner or two, but I'm glad with how well it held.

IMG_20160203_223720_844.jpg

And I super glued the lights to the palms, so that tomorrow I can glue in the sound pieces, then finally assemble the top and bottom of both hands for painting.

IMG_20160203_210441_625.jpg

IMG_20160203_223720_844.jpg

IMG_20160203_230810_810.jpg

38. Vox

Been busy the past few days.

First off, here's a view from inside the helmet. My range of vision is actually much better than the picture implies, but I wanted to give you an idea of what sort of glare there was from the light which, as you can see, is not much.

IMG_20160204_212508_627.jpg

I successfully mounted all the wiring for the sound. The buttons, circuit board, and battery pack were mounted with hot glue, the speaker with super glue. I had to re-solder the grounding wire (black wire) because it came loose while being jostled around in the mounting. That thing isn't going anywhere now though!

IMG_20160204_212234_141.jpg

Then it was finally time to put both parts of the hands together. They went together cleanly enough.

IMG_20160208_214625_126.jpg

Those will need to get painted before I mount the top dome details. Speaking of which, those needed a fresh paint job. So I sanded everything off and...

IMG_20160208_220432_046.jpg IMG_20160209_201202_045.jpg IMG_20160209_223223_440.jpg

I like the lighter colored metallic paint a lot better than the dark grey I had originally.

Finally I unmasked the forearms and torso pieces, and I am pretty pleased with the lack of spill-over.

IMG_20160209_223003_125.jpg IMG_20160209_222918_613.jpg IMG_20160209_222949_406.jpg

One thing I DID notice was that the blue paint tape pulled up some of the surface of the armor just enough that you can see a visible line where the tape was. I'm going to go over it with 1000 grit sand paper and re-heat treat it in an attempt to even it out before I paint it.

39. Vox

Because I was unable to mask the pieces for spray application, I've been hand painting (with a sponge and brush combination) all the pieces white. All pieces have received a two layers of white, and a 1 layer of clear satin finish for some shine and protection. However, I have very little to "show" for it! That kind of happens when you are painting white foam white... The hands have domes now, though!

IMG_20160214_213611_737.jpg

Next up:
    -attaching the claws to the hand
    -assembling the chest detail and mounting it on the torso armor.

My shirt arrived this past week. Once the above is done, I'll set to work mounting the snaps and straps on the armor, then it should be completed!

laellee likes this.
  40. Vox

The hands are fully complete.

IMG_20160215_224812_528.jpg

No, the claws are not perfectly spaced. But then the hand is not perfectly rounded, the domes do not perfectly line up, and they are probably going to be much warmer than I would like. Point being: the hands have easily been the most challenging and demanding part of the build, and I am just happy everything fit period. I took an extremely small brush and painted the base of the claws black, to give a little bit of dimension and hide the point where they meet.

I also attached the chest details to the torso. A preview:

IMG_20160215_224254_053-1.jpg

laellee, trackboy186 and JWMines like this.
  41. trackboy186

trackboy186 Active Member

This looks great! Nice work!

Vox likes this.
  42. Vox

I finished on time for the C2E2 contest submission! But then I went out of town for the weekend and I didn't have time to post anything! Now... the finishing touches!

I first had to measure out and chalk the shirt to ensure the correct placement of snaps for the armor. I choose snaps for most of my armor because it is a comparably easy on-off solution for them, ensuring easy transport and correct placement every time. Not to mention they work a lot better than hot glue on any sort of stretchy material. I also sewed some nylon webbing to the ends of the elastic, so that when they were mounted to the armor, they would grip for a long time. (Elastic will eventually pull away from the hot glue.)

IMG_20160217_202250_649.jpg

Then there was lots of crimping snaps together, crimping the other half of the snaps to the shirt, and hot gluing everything in the correct places. The shoulder pieces are up too high to use a strap under the arm, so they got three snaps a piece to ensure they stay in the right places. I also hot glued an elastic strap to the inside of the forearm pieces (not pictured) to ensure that it, also, stays where it should be.

IMG_20160217_212712_943.jpg

Finally, I attached 2 strips of nylon, one on each side, to the lower part of the chest/back, to make sure that it, too, fits snugly. I installed a snap on the front end of them to allow for easy on/off. After a test fit, the front chest piece seemed to want to pull the whole unit forward, so I installed a snap on each side of the upper back to help keep it in place.

IMG_20160217_212850_691.jpg

The entire costume, laid out!

IMG_20160218_201228_988.jpg

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH!

View attachment KmC0XtH.jpg View attachment bpwgxKd.jpg View attachment KN11LRI.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with it! The only thing I'm really missing is the black balaclava, which I'll have in a week or two. I will also have some better photos eventually. But for now, this project is [/COMPLETE]!

43. laellee

DUDE. That is stellar. :thumbsup

44. WireFox

WireFox Active Member

Considering your body type a morph suit may look pretty sharp under your armor. Your suit looks great. Hope to see a few more pics soon.

45. JaxAndTheMoon

JaxAndTheMoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This was always one of my favorite Batman Beyond villains! Great job on this!

46. Seraph77

Seraph77 Member

That suit is fantastic! He was my favorite villain from that show. Good job!

47. gledar

gledar Active Member

Holy ****, that looks better than the art.

48. collinE83

Looks straight out of the cartoon without looking goofy. Fantastic job. This costume definitely deserves some professional photos to do it justice.

49. Vox

Thank you! I appreciate it.

Thanks!

I thought about doing a morph suit, but after investigating the source material, the proportions of the art do not translate well to real world. Plus, this way I can where combat boots which I know will be comfortable to walk around C2E2 in.

Mine too, Jax! Thank you.

He is definitely mine as well, Seraph. I appreciate the compliment.

Wow! That's quite the compliment! I really appreciate that, man.

Thank you Collin! That was the goal: accuracy while practically bringing it to the real world. I will eventually have some professional shots done, just need to save up for the shoot.

50. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So, is an actually glowing Blight next for you?