DONE: Fury Road - Ripsaw/Bullet-Farmer Wheel Ornament

PoopaPapaPalps

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was asked to build one of these recently and am nearing finishing it, so I thought I'd might as well show pics of it. Well, what I can anyway; I'm awful at taking pictures of my own process.

Most of what I did mimicked what @I Make Stuff did in his thread only I was much more cumbersome. Doing some rough measuring, based on sizes of a 308 shell, I figured the wheel is between 13.5 to 14 inches in diameter and that lead to me search for a gear that was 6.5 to 7 in. in diameter. I found one on the 'Bay but it has 60 teeth rather than the 38 the actual thing has but it's good enough for me.

IMG_5714.JPG IMG_5715.JPG

Finding the "right" gear, first off, was tricky but then finding the thing was 9 lbs of solid, heavy, tool steel ruled it out being used. That wasn't a problem but my cold-casting skills were naught before I tried it and it took a good three tries before I got a decent enough pull.

There are no pics of this and the later processes that lead up to where I am now, but if a picture speaks a thousand words, here's this:

IMG_5730.JPG

...And that's how I got to this:

IMG_5728.JPG

It some some weeks and it's still got a ways to go (I've only got handtools) but it's near the end. I just need to find a way to put in the eyes, put together the jaw and secure it to the rest of the thing, then rust the gear and one final spit shine to get it...well...shiny and chrome.

Copper skull and brass bits (that aren't bullets or plumbing/sink bits) were all hand cut and hand shaped to get as closely as I could to the original piece. One can even see how I went about it in the pics above (trailer hitch + hammers + car jack + lots of sanding) but, as of right now, only a few things are soldered and held together; the rest is currently pressure-fitted together. I'm trying to avoid using glue as much as possible and keeping the bonds mechanical just so it feels more...authentic, I suppose is the word...to the world of Mad Max.

No wheel for this current build but I do have one and enough 308 casings for it should I attempt to build another one for myself in future, but after this build, I think that'll be some time off right now.:lol

Last edited:
Re: WIP: Fury Road - Ripsaw/Bullet-Farmer Wheel Ornament

And...it...is...done! WITNESS!

I tried to stay as true to the original piece as I could, used badger claws for the lower "canines" and painted the tips, and the rest is kinda self explanatory. I gave it a few minor touches of my own in certain places (predominantly the Screaming Skull emblem) but nothing that strayed too far from the path. No wreath this time round, I've the right steering wheel, but no way other than a hacksaw to cut the casings, and I can't be bothered to do that.

Forgive some of the messier bits; I have no business playing with metals.:p

IMG_5934.JPG IMG_5937.JPG IMG_5938.JPG IMG_5940.JPG IMG_5946.JPG IMG_5943.JPG

hopefully you were about to take a look at this site, the prop make posted his pics, that look pretty darn nice, great job.
http://www.danehallett.com/?page_id=405

Im still holding out for the legit parts on the NUX wheel, I have more thank 50% of it in real parts. Really hard to find pieces.

I think for the wheel the casting were casted and remade in one piece. Most likely on one of the longacre racing steering wheels like the rest of the cars had.

I actually had a talk with Mr. Hallett at the beginning before I started building, as well as used his photos for reference (he has a few more on his Facebook). He said, for this particular prop, and I assume for the others as well, he was supplied buckets of bullet casings and when he ran out, they bought him another to work with.

Good luck with the Nux wheel. I'm surprised you haven't just built the car yet.:D As far as Mr. Hallett was concerned, he didn't know in detail much of the parts he used other than he used them.:p I had to make due with the closest approximations I had available. The things used for the jaws, I'm definitely sure they're a part of some engine or machine that used a liquid because they were identical to ones I sourced from a sink, only mine was a little larger in diameter (and they didn't make any smaller, I could find), so I had to improvise to get something mildly resembling the real thing.

Last edited:
I didnt realize it was you poopapapa. Yea. I keep looking at '34 Chevies. It may happen someday. Glad to know they used actual casings. That pic of three of those steering wheel together is a ton of casing then!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back