Don West Lost in Space (netflix 2018) space suit.

And with the weekend comes the boot covers.
Planned these out a few days ahead of time and jumped right into making the patterns.
D5835074-1B9E-4480-8669-BB9BD82125A9.jpeg

To make the patterns I just laid the boots I would be wearing down on some paper and traced out the side panels of the covers.
Use my breakdown to break that up into sections then added about 2 inches total between each panel so the outside would be even larger then the boot. Doing so gave them that space/moon boot look.

I don’t know the name of the stitching style I used but I achieved it but sewing the seams together on the inside and then folding the allowances back and topstitching to the back side of the seam. I called it pin tuck in my notes but that’s not what it is.
3C4ABA7C-6775-4EFA-9003-C6CF8B381F5B.jpeg

Once I had the outside pieces together I used them as a pattern to cut out some of my grey 3D spacer mesh and used that to fill and hold up the inside. Added Velcro to the front closure. Topped with more of my hand made orange piping and a 2 inch fold of black fabric.
On the inside of the black I sewed in some bungee to clamped the tops to my shins.
And finally some more bungee cord across the bottoms to hold tight to the boot allowing it to remain removable.
3C96DFFD-9D5D-408C-83B0-EDFAD16CC229.jpeg
10CA7334-1E7C-4EA6-9903-41B4928775BA.jpeg

and finally the reference
87D7B1E4-3102-40EE-A5EF-D5DBE6C428A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Had a paint mishap with the first set of jacket cuffs I made so I had to halt and cut a new fresh set.
The cuffs are cut from 3”pvc pipe coulper and the center section for the grey rubber band was carefully dado cut out with a tablesaw(don’t attempt this unless your comfortable and proficient with a tablesaw as this was a real dangerous maneuver).
C34CD1F8-D221-4D47-B6F0-E8026C3D66F9.jpeg

Once the grey primer had cured I did a wet sand with 220 and 320 grit sand paper.
I then did a paint test of the burnt orange I’ll be using over a white, grey, and silver primer base. The winner is the white primer, the other two dull the color imo.
Paint used is lumière burnt orange thinned to a 50/50 mix with a home brew thinner of 70%water and 30% isopropyl alcohol(91%) and applied with an airbrush.
4E578937-09CB-4FCA-828B-4C0BBCF099FA.jpeg

And the 320 wet sanding and cleaning the cuffs where reprimed with white. Think I’ll do a 400 wet sanding before final paint. And most likely covered with alclad gloss clear coat(which I’ll be testing first).
027AC3EF-3C9E-4EF0-A3AC-6957E8E454CB.jpeg

Progress is currently paused while I gather my things for a big move upstate. I’ll update when I can get back to work.

Wow, not sure how I missed this thread as i really like the LiS reboot on netflix.

This is incredible work and detail ... and I'm not a sower... but I'd like to learn... but I know this is impressive. Well done.

Progress is slow right now but I’m still giving this suit all the time I can. Been working on the boot pieces to try and button those up. Cutting the treads out of a strip of 10mm thick foam and sanding with a dremel. Think I might paint those with black plastidip to make them look more like rubber.
Toe plates are 4mm foam made from a tape pattern and painted with Angelou’s orange leather paint.

84A9386A-79DF-4AD4-91C7-4BE8651747E8.jpeg06709B3B-1454-4FF7-86C3-C1C9B1182702.jpeg17563F21-19CC-4DB4-93A4-1093E098E353.jpeg

Also finally got ahold of some orange bias tape to finish the ab pads. Recently painted the metal buckles a shinier silver and once i paint the orange straps I’ll be able to attach them to the jacket.
3232561F-CF76-4268-B262-F3665FC3C5F5.jpeg

Lots of progress the past few weeks.
Finished up the ab pad and it’s buckles, just need to Chicago screws to hold the red plates to the jacket. Also attached magnets on the collar to keep that closed. Vest just needs shoulder bells to finish.
Also sewed my red quilt pattern for the palms of the gloves. Used a utility red fabric a piece of stabilizer and so felt give it a quilted like puff while also staying thin and foldable since it’ll be the palm.
7ACCAB59-79FC-4963-A1AA-FC6DD0636651.jpeg
93BD5558-1DEA-44D4-9610-B6438CE35959.jpeg

Hand drew the patterns for the knee and elbow pads. Made them out of 4mm foam and heat molded them into shape. The knee pads will mark the finish line for the pants.
I also have the ankle guards being painted to continue finishing the boots.
6A1D3BB0-542E-45E1-AD29-8EC5832EA7F7.jpeg69CF2481-D3C4-44CE-A691-FB8B182D23E4.jpegA9A79200-A669-4CEB-A99C-B6AF4910C761.jpegAC84E861-ED91-4FAA-8824-82B9C3D7916E.jpeg

Last edited:
Started painting all the foam parts(A few coats to go) and made the shoulder bells too. The black piece on the shoulder bells was done with a piece of 2mm foam and they were run through my sewing machine to give a stitched look on their bottom edge.
Also added a small detail, boot guards now have pop rivets placed top and bottom of the strap cut out. Since the boot covers are thin foam I pulled the rivets off their rods and glued them into place as opposed to popping them.
6CD752E3-84CB-457D-A77B-DCE50B167CB0.jpeg

Decided to attach the shoulder bells directly to the sleeves, it’s far easier to move my arms and put the suit on and off this way.
used a longish stitch, 3 on my machine, and sewed them to the canvas portion of the sleeves. Because the canvas doesn’t stretch they should be safe from being torn or ripped when I move my arms around.
Also loosened the tension on my machine as to not perforate the foam. Too short a stitch and too tight and the sewing machine will pretty much cut the foam so don’t do that lol.

6FEEF81C-8650-4159-95E3-570617A643D4.jpeg

This looks incredible. Total respect for getting on and doing it! (Coming from someone who always puts off big projects!)

Wow. I am so glad that I found this thread. I did not know that anyone else was building a LiS suit. I want to build a blue Jupiter 2 suit (John Robinson), but I have not moved past the research phase. (I have too many projects going on in parallel.) I have not done any of my own sewing yet, so I've been slowly learning that. Also, my goal is to build a complete suit with the hard upper torso, helmet, and backpack. I do a lot of 3d printing, but I need to find someone to build the models for me. However, I did start to model the wrist computer and have some ideas on how to make it functional.

I've looked at a ton of mesh fabrics, but have not found something suitable. I really like your cricut solution. I don't know much about that machine, but my daughter (who is studying to be a teacher) has one. For the vertical bands with the herringbone pattern, I was thinking of printing those in section, using TPU, but I think I like your idea better.

I have a bunch of questions. I won't blast you all at once.

What size Cobra buckles did you use?
For the red plates that used to secure the four small buckles to the stomach area, how did you make them, or are they hardware parts?
Also, I was surprised to see that the jacket and pants come together with that black zipper. I totally missed that from the screenshots that I captured. How did you discover that (if you don't mind me asking)?

Thanks. Well done!

Wow. I am so glad that I found this thread. I did not know that anyone else was building a LiS suit. I want to build a blue Jupiter 2 suit (John Robinson), but I have not moved past the research phase. (I have too many projects going on in parallel.) I have not done any of my own sewing yet, so I've been slowly learning that. Also, my goal is to build a complete suit with the hard upper torso, helmet, and backpack. I do a lot of 3d printing, but I need to find someone to build the models for me. However, I did start to model the wrist computer and have some ideas on how to make it functional.

I've looked at a ton of mesh fabrics, but have not found something suitable. I really like your cricut solution. I don't know much about that machine, but my daughter (who is studying to be a teacher) has one. For the vertical bands with the herringbone pattern, I was thinking of printing those in section, using TPU, but I think I like your idea better.

I have a bunch of questions. I won't blast you all at once.

What size Cobra buckles did you use?
For the red plates that used to secure the four small buckles to the stomach area, how did you make them, or are they hardware parts?
Also, I was surprised to see that the jacket and pants come together with that black zipper. I totally missed that from the screenshots that I captured. How did you discover that (if you don't mind me asking)?

Thanks. Well done!
Answers!!! Hahah
Buckles are 1 1/2inch and 1inch straps.
I was going to use abs plastic for the red plates but a closer look made me think they were a softer material, I went with craft foam painted with angelus leather red paint.
I actually got to see wills suit at comic con up close and was able to see things like the zipper. Seeing it in person made things like that pop out in other pictures way more.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back