Don post studios background helmet stormtrooper

sam123432

Hello all

I have recently been speaking with a very experienced industry professional who worked for don post studios during their time holding the licence for star wars

He informed me he worked with lucasfilms and helped with a lot of second unit work in thevUS for empire strikes back

He has a helmet of which he said the following

These were roto-cast pieces from the same mold we used for DPS product helmets, but with custom vacuum formed eyes and special detail applicays . We made about 350 total for use in mid-ground and background shots. This was screen used in ESB, then returned before Return of the Jedi to be cleaned up, but we just made a new one and re-used the eye lenses, so I took a couple home. This is my last piece.

I cannot find a bad word about the guy so I am trying to see if anyone has ever heard of these background helmets
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 27AA0163-9D68-43DE-808F-1096F106B41B.jpeg
    27AA0163-9D68-43DE-808F-1096F106B41B.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 253
I don't think its likely these were screen used. In the may years I've been in the hobby, I've not seen any proof these were ever seen on screen. It would be wild if they were though.

350??

When were there close to 350 Stormtroopers in the same scene at the same time in ESB?? On Hoth they were Snowtroopers, and on Bespin there was a handful only

Last edited:
It's an interesting story and your friend may very well be sincere but there are too many things about it that don't add up. First, and most obvious, there is no trace of a DP helmet on screen in either ESB or RotJ. Next, to Aku's point, the number of helmets he's claiming is disproportionate to those that might have been used (and would had to have been shipped overseas to Elstree Studios). Then, to my eye the biggest flaw in his story is the part where he says there are special decals or applique's on this helmet doesn't jive: just as he reports, that is a garden variety Don Post standard helmet made sometime between 1978 and 1982 and nothing special about it at all -- at least from the provided photo -- the stickers on his helmet are the exact ones you see on any commercially available helmet which contradicts his statement that they are custom. To be nerdy about it they are the blue colored sticker variant seen on helmets made earlier -- later versions used a gray color on the stickers that was closer to "screen accurate". During this period of production at Don Post the lenses on the Stormtrooper helmets were separate pieces of vacuum-formed plastic (typically green or smoky gray) so that wouldn't have been anything unusual either (further nerdiness: after 1982ish they stopped doing the separate lens pieces and just cut holes in the helmet to see out of). The helmet also suffers from the fairly typical condition where the lenses and brow strap have fallen off due to the contact cement having dried out over time.

I expect that either he was misinformed in the first place or perhaps he's got his story mixed up from 40 years of time having elapsed and he probably doesn't live and breathe this stuff like we do. If Don Post had provided helmets to be used on screen I would think it would be a matter of common knowledge by now --Lucasfilm ordering 300+ helmets and shipping them to the UK to be used in the sequel to Star Wars would have been a pretty big deal and lots of people involved would know. There are interviews with Don Post Jr on youtube discussing the Star Wars license and he makes no mention of it in any of them -- again if they had provided helmets used in the film he would be all over it and rightly so (as their advertising team would have been back in the day). This situation is also never mentioned in Lee Lambert's History of Don Post Studios but, unlikely as it seems, that could be an oversight.

Some other things that make me think he's just mixing up his facts is that we do know the screen-used Stormtrooper helmets in ESB were refurbished after ANH and that they did use custom made stickers to redress the helmets -- as noted, those stickers are not the ones you see on this helmet. We also know that there are a few Don Post standard Stormtrooper helmets in the LFL archives but we're talking maybe two or three of them not two or three hundred. Photos of them at the archives have been posted here at the RPF by independent sources so at some point LFL got their hands on some Don Post Stormtrooper helmets but they were never used on screen.

That is all we can say for certain.

Cheers,

Dave C

Last edited:
It's an interesting story and your friend may very well be sincere but there are too many things about it that don't add up. First, and most obvious, there is no trace of a DP helmet on screen in either ESB or RotJ. Next, to Aku's point, the number of helmets he's claiming is disproportionate to those that might have been used (and would had to have been shipped overseas to Elstree Studios). Then, to my eye the biggest flaw in his story is the part where he says there are special decals or applique's on this helmet doesn't jive: just as he reports, that is a garden variety Don Post standard helmet made sometime between 1978 and 1982 and nothing special about it at all -- at least from the provided photo -- the stickers on his helmet are the exact ones you see on any commercially available helmet which contradicts his statement that they are custom. To be nerdy about it they are the blue colored sticker variant seen on helmets made earlier -- later versions used a gray color on the stickers that was closer to "screen accurate". During this period of production at Don Post the lenses on the Stormtrooper helmets were separate pieces of vacuum-formed plastic (typically green or smoky gray) so that wouldn't have been anything unusual either (further nerdiness: after 1982ish they stopped doing the separate lens pieces and just cut holes in the helmet to see out of). The helmet also suffers from the fairly typical condition where the lenses and brow strap have fallen off due to the contact cement having dried out over time.

I expect that either he was misinformed in the first place or perhaps he's got his story mixed up from 40 years of time having elapsed and he probably doesn't live and breathe this stuff like we do. If Don Post had provided helmets to be used on screen I would think it would be a matter of common knowledge by now --Lucasfilm ordering 300+ helmets and shipping them to the UK to be used in the sequel to Star Wars would have been a pretty big deal and lots of people involved would know. There are interviews with Don Post Jr on youtube discussing the Star Wars license and he makes no mention of it in any of them -- again if they had provided helmets used in the film he would be all over it and rightly so (as their advertising team would have been back in the day). This situation is also never mentioned in Lee Lambert's History of Don Post Studios but, unlikely as it seems, that could be an oversight.

Some other things that make me think he's just mixing up his facts is that we do know the screen-used Stormtrooper helmets in ESB were refurbished after ANH and that they did use custom made stickers to redress the helmets -- as noted, those stickers are not the ones you see on this helmet. We also know that there are a few Don Post standard Stormtrooper helmets in the LFL archives but we're talking maybe two or three of them not two or three hundred. Photos of them at the archives have been posted here at the RPF by independent sources so at some point LFL got their hands on some Don Post Stormtrooper helmets but they were never used on screen.

Cheers,

Dave C
Hi Dave thanks very much for this!

I’m going to copy and paste a couple of other things hes said since I made this post.

I have no idea who you spoke with, but he's wholly wrong. In fact the license that DPS originally got was inclusive of "Any full sized representation of the characters" and lasted 7 years, so any use of full size characters in the U'S' had to go through DPS and I was personally in charge. I worked with Maggie Young and Sid Ganis at LucasFilm and was on set with the first full color repaints of Boba Fet in Buttercup Valley, CA. We had to approve any use for promotion as well as were the landing point for a lot of items coming from Elstree to shoot second Unit in America. I worked a lot with The Toy Company and Elstree Props etc. and directly with Kit West and Stuart Freeborn. This was not highly publicized but I lived and breathed Star Wars at DPS. In 2006 an avid collector / client wanted some pieces for his Malibu screening room and I worked again with Elstree to create pieces from original molds and with screen used parts. Here's a couple pictures from that project! I also provided the whole set from the last pieces of Vader pulled in the original mold, which was finished at Elstree and presented with much fanfare to David Prowse before he passed. BTW, we made the second generation Vader masters in North Hollywood and these parts were for reference. That Vader was sculpted by Jim Leonard who went on to work for Rick Baker for 16 years! Let's talk tomorrow .

Sam, Here's a quoted list from my book Shadowman, Stories from the Shadows of Hollywood (Amazon Press) - We were working very hard to make ends meet, so I focused on Special Projects to lower some of our personal financial stress while increasing the coffers with that 5%. In the time that I was at Don Post Studios I sold, and with my crew completed, forty-four Special Projects totaling over $400,000. By now my little department had grown to include Sculptor/moldmaker Jim Leonard, custom prop builder Jim McGeachy, Art Director/painter Dennis Calaba, moldmaker/prop builder Barry Crane, and part time use of painter, Rob Tharpe (Rob also headed Quality Control for DPS). Our projects included:
- Assisting David Lynch with the designs and concepts of prosthetics for “The Elephant Man”.
- Creating the closing sequence creature for Toby Hooper’s “Deadly Blessing”.
- Sculpting and creating the two spinning body forms used for stop motion animation in “Star Trek, The Motion Picture”.
- Supplying over 300 Custom Stormtrooper masks for “Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi”. These were used for background only shots.
- Paint, assembly and flame-thrower fire gag effects for two Boba Fet sets for Trailer footage for “Return of the Jedi”. Back in the ESB days, Boba was originally designed to be Stormtrooper White, but when it was pointed out that this minor (at that time) character would be a great personal appearance opportunity, the decision was made to paint it the colors we all recognize today. Dennis Calaba matched these color designs to the suits and Boba Fet was born! We later added the flame thrower Effect (done by me Via MTSD) for the ROTJ trailer and film footage.
- Re-making and completing the screen-used second generation Darth Vader helmets and shoulder pieces for “Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi”. The second generation Darth Vader was sculpted by Jim Leonard and created, molded and master cast at Post.
- Designing and doing test make-ups for a test on a live action “Tom & Jerry” movie.
- Working on the not so loved owl prop for “Clash of the Titans” for Ray Harryhausen. Meeting Ray was one of my dreams come true. What a nice man!
-Creating cast metal pieces for “Revenge of the Jedi” before the name change.
- Casting metal pieces for “Star Trek”, the Wrath of Khan.
- Developing reflective half dome markers and nodal suits for Disney’s “Tron”.
- Designing and doing tests for the dental prosthetics and make-up look for “Quest for Fire”.
-Testing, making and installing over three hundred Rim Urethane manhole covers for Disney’s EPCOT.
- Testing, making dozens of Cannon Bollards for EPCOT.
- Recreating FDR inaugural plaque in Rim Urethane for Hall of Presidents, EPCOT.
- Re-creating thirty-six bonded bronze duplicates of the lighting sconces from the Hall of Congress for EPCOT, Hall of Presidents.
- Consulting on tail material for “Dragonslayer”, Disney.
- Consulting in New York on Gelfling skin material and hair for “Dark Crystal” for Jim Henson.
- Building two custom props for “Shark Boy”, Rafaela DeLaurentiis and David Lynch.
- Design and test make-up for Jonathan Winters as a “Pooka” bear character for “Maximillian”.
- Head cast and reproduction of Anthony Geary for “General Hospital”.
- Creation of all the “Silver Shamrock” mask props and 2nd Unit work – “Halloween III, Season of the Witch”.
- Head casts of Loraine Yarnell and Doug Henning for “NBC Henning Magic Special”.
- Magic props for John Gaughan and Doug Henning, “Merlin”, Broadway.
- Black Dahlia body prop for “LA Confidential” for Michael Westmore.
- Miscellaneous magic prop elements John Gaughan, Norm Neilson.
- One hundred and fifty six Still suits for “Dune”, David Lynch, Rafaela DeLaurentiis.
- Face Casts and custom masks for “Real People” reality show.
-Fifteen full body casts for “Dune”.
By the way I suggested Kit West for the Effects on Dune to David Lynch ......

When I got to Don post in 1978 they had removed the Stormtrooper from production due to costs, primarily around the eyes and the lenses. I took a blank and drilled a series of holes in the eye area, which was cast solid, then painted in the black, making a way to see through the eyes, have eyes that appeared fine and cut out all the trimming and adhesion costs and difficulties with the eyes. For Mask Production I had a die made that punched the eye holes out with a single move and bought a hand punch press to do the job. To get this approved I had to take prot-types to Maggie Young for approval and we got to discussing the Stormtrooper in general and she was getting requests from Production for low cost Helmets they could use in the background shots instead of the multi piece vacuum formed and assembled hero helmets. I spoke with the Board, gave her a price and they ordered about 150, then another 150, then piecemiel about another 36-50 (some had some further customization on them). We reworked several dozen before ROTJ. So, when this was made Don Post was not in production of Stormtroopers, the version two, which I did get approved had holes and paint over the eye section, and I am well known for being the person who was there, in charge and doing this. we NEVER asked for or got credit for the films. These were purchases from Post sold to Lucasfilm, period. It is slao not documented that the American Darth vader was Kermit Eller, or that he was a Don Post Employee when he started going out as Darth Vader, or that at first he wore the Original Episode Costume, which was kept and maintained at Don Post under my Supervision. We eventually reproduced the suit elements to preserve the original, but I was on the road with Kermit as Darth Vader many many times. What was never mentioned is that, as liason for Post, Lucasfilm had to get my permission before each appearance of any of the characters. This is how we painted and prepared the first Bobo Fet shots in Noth Hollywood, CA for the buttercup Valley shoot (excerpts shown in Bob Fet Behind the Mask on Disney Plus and many other uses of the characters from the Tonight Show to placing their footprints in cement at the Chinese Theater. There's a reason my book is titled Shadowman and this is only one of them. I have ad sheets of the reintroduction of the Stormtrooper and photos of the punched eyes, which I will include with the piece .

he Rotatioonally cast vinyl helmets we provided are slightly smaller that the close-up helmets and have detail decals (also a bit more detailed than our product line) instead of cut or drilled details, so any time you saw a group of Stormtroopers, the foreground ones were Heros and the ones behind them and in group battle or marching sequences, those were the Background pieces. If I remember correctly the costs were somewhere between 5 and 6 to one, so they had bunches on hand for whenever they needed them. They also damaged some and used them as post battle props sometimes.

This is the end of the quoted messages
Thanks for chatting!

Cheers,

Dave C
Could you point me in the direction of the photo in the archives?

Could you point me in the direction of the photo in the archives?
On the note of there not being hundreds there, if this did somehow turn out to be true which I appreciate with what you’re saying may bot be the the case
They didn’t seem to take too much care of preserving stuff as I’m aware one of the Death Star models ended up in a junk shop and is now in the hands of a collector lol

I don't think anyone has ever screen matched a mass produced Don Post helmet being used in the movie. Somebody would have certainly noticed by now if that was true even if it was just as background stunt helmet.

Cool--thank you for posting your sources comments that is GREAT --the more information we have the better! I've actually briefly spoken and traded emails with your source myself (I bought some Don Post memorabilia from him years ago and have an e-copy of his book as well--which I should obviously re-read). I have no doubt that what he says is true and he absolutely did live and breathe Star Wars he was there and did the work. That doesn't change the fact that to date no one has found evidence of Don Post helmets on screen so we're left with them being made for production.

I welcome any and all information about production of the Star Wars helmets at Don Post, as I mentioned it is a particular interest of mine. The details on their moving over to the eye-holes and that he had the punch made are particularly interesting and helps clarify the timeline. My interpretation of the timeline on the manufacture of the helmet comes from numerous sources (comments made by former Don Post employees at mask-collecting conventions that are available online and the much missed Halloween Mask forum as well as the aforementioned Lambert book) but is mostly based on Don Post's own marketing materials. You don't really see the eye-hole version of the Stormtrooper show up in catalogues and ads until after the 1981 catalog--the Stormtrooper isn't even in the 1979-80 catalog at all (to our sources point that they had ceased manufacture) and when you do see him back in the 1981 catalog there are holes in the eyes but it's dozens of little holes (which I assume is the one that our source notes that he modified and that they photographed) and after 1983 you start to see the type made with the "punch" that has 8 holes, and that's what I was basing that observation on so it's interesting to note just how early they actually started using it.

But to the issue at hand please see photos I've attached of a regular Don Post Stormtrooper helmet in my possession and photos of a screen-matched Empire Strikes Back helmet that came from John Mollo's collection (the photos of the Mollo helmet are not mine) which show the custom made production stickers and note how they compare to the Don Post.

Cheers,

Dave

Attachments

• DSC_0076.JPG
    DSC_0076.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0078.JPG
    DSC_0078.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 156
  • esbHDPE_01 screencap.jpg
    esbHDPE_01 screencap.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 151
  • esbHDPE screencap.jpg
    esbHDPE screencap.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 162
  • OOTWExhibit046.jpg
    OOTWExhibit046.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 174
  • OOTWExhibit055.jpg
    OOTWExhibit055.jpg
    824.3 KB · Views: 169
On the note of there not being hundreds there, if this did somehow turn out to be true which I appreciate with what you’re saying may bot be the the case
They didn’t seem to take too much care of preserving stuff as I’m aware one of the Death Star models ended up in a junk shop and is now in the hands of a collector lol
How true! Although they were less likely to throw things away after Empire Strikes Back, lol. I've attached a copy of a photo that I have showing a Don Post helmet at the Archives. This is a frame capture from a video and I do not recall its source. I really wish it were in higher resolution.

Attachments

• 1476292_686313561401807_1795190679_n.jpg
    1476292_686313561401807_1795190679_n.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 160
Cool--thank you for posting your sources comments that is GREAT --the more information we have the better! I've actually briefly spoken and traded emails with your source myself (I bought some Don Post memorabilia from him years ago and have an e-copy of his book as well--which I should obviously re-read). I have no doubt that what he says is true and he absolutely did live and breathe Star Wars he was there and did the work. That doesn't change the fact that to date no one has found evidence of Don Post helmets on screen so we're left with them being made for production.

I welcome any and all information about production of the Star Wars helmets at Don Post, as I mentioned it is a particular interest of mine. The details on their moving over to the eye-holes and that he had the punch made are particularly interesting and helps clarify the timeline. My interpretation of the timeline on the manufacture of the helmet comes from numerous sources (comments made by former Don Post employees at mask-collecting conventions that are available online and the much missed Halloween Mask forum as well as the aforementioned Lambert book) but is mostly based on Don Post's own marketing materials. You don't really see the eye-hole version of the Stormtrooper show up in catalogues and ads until after the 1981 catalog--the Stormtrooper isn't even in the 1979-80 catalog at all (to our sources point that they had ceased manufacture) and when you do see him back in the 1981 catalog there are holes in the eyes but it's dozens of little holes (which I assume is the one that our source notes that he modified and that they photographed) and after 1983 you start to see the type made with the "punch" that has 8 holes, and that's what I was basing that observation on so it's interesting to note just how early they actually started using it.

But to the issue at hand please see photos I've attached of a regular Don Post Stormtrooper helmet in my possession and photos of a screen-matched Empire Strikes Back helmet that came from John Mollo's collection (the photos of the Mollo helmet are not mine) which show the custom made production stickers and note how they compare to the Don Post.

Cheers,

Dave
You’re welcome and thanks for coming back to me Dave

Thanks also for sharing those pictures.

It’s certainly a very interesting thought.

One other gentleman I spoke to also mentioned he was offered one with a similar story, which means that there are at least 2 crew members with one who understood them to have come from production: All very intriguing none the less.

I’ve messaged Don Post to see if he replies but it’s unlikely I will hear more

Will let you know what the letter of authenticity says and send further pictures when I have them.
Cheers

- Re-making and completing the screen-used second generation Darth Vader helmets and shoulder pieces for “Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi”. The second generation Darth Vader was sculpted by Jim Leonard and created, molded and master cast at Post.
There's that story again that Don Post sculpted a new version of Vader. The detail on the ESB onwards parts matching with ANH makes it impossible that it was a new sculpt.

I could however see them being responsible for both the US Mold made by Rick Baker to make tour costumes, as well as the later UK Mold used for ESB production - and if the guy handled the Vader parts for Eller, he could easily have had it molded and cast then without the original parts having to go to the UK for production, matching up with Eller's recollection of him keeping the original until '79.

And wasn't there talk about wonky one piece background trooper helmets used in the Battle of Endor scenes in RotJ some time back? I thought I read it on StarWars Helmets, but I guess not. I could also remember wrong, though.

There's that story again that Don Post sculpted a new version of Vader. The detail on the ESB onwards parts matching with ANH makes it impossible that it was a new sculpt.

I could however see them being responsible for both the US Mold made by Rick Baker to make tour costumes, as well as the later UK Mold used for ESB production - and if the guy handled the Vader parts for Eller, he could easily have had it molded and cast then without the original parts having to go to the UK for production, matching up with Eller's recollection of him keeping the original until '79.

And wasn't there talk about wonky one piece background trooper helmets used in the Battle of Endor scenes in RotJ some time back? I thought I read it on StarWars Helmets, but I guess not. I could also remember wrong, though.
Thanks for your input I’ll have to try and find the conversation that you’re referring to

The GH/Fyberdyne style helmets are said to originate from Don Post... and there's been talk about someone at Don Post making a new Vader helmet from a broken one - it was a similar story where it was said to have been used for the subsequent movies. Could this be the one talked about regarding the one sculpted by Jim Leonard?

I can totally buy that the GH/Fyberdyne style helmet master was created like that at Don Post, seeing how they differ from screen used helmets.

The ESB and RotJ can only have come from a direct molding of the original ANH - there is just no other way those could have been made. There are a plethora of screen used ANH shape and surface details on those that match up to the found original ANH face mask currently in a French private collection, which you would not get if it was a resculpt. But a slight misremembering of details regarding a helmet created for Don Post commercial production that was never used and then fathering the GH/Fyberdyne style helmets, being mixed up with the molding of the original a second time to be used in ESB production seems reasonable. Could this have been the case?

Hello guys
Thanks for your contact the other week.

I have received the helmet I shared the other week, so wanted to share pics along with letter of authenticity and signed book along with just one page where it references these helmets

Attachments

• 07509914-4F84-4679-B3D8-25A650773494.jpeg
    07509914-4F84-4679-B3D8-25A650773494.jpeg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 975DF9AE-FE57-4E5C-8F21-4F1C0F8BA3EE.jpeg
    975DF9AE-FE57-4E5C-8F21-4F1C0F8BA3EE.jpeg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 109
  • F0A60DF8-D406-40DB-9F01-C7C17004694C.jpeg
    F0A60DF8-D406-40DB-9F01-C7C17004694C.jpeg
    801.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 1E2FB0A1-E607-4EFD-ACC9-61D5A83F415E.jpeg
    1E2FB0A1-E607-4EFD-ACC9-61D5A83F415E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
  • 19711221-6223-455C-95AB-9B9733B05FD2.jpeg
    19711221-6223-455C-95AB-9B9733B05FD2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 86
  • 5C8D2E46-0293-4362-B8CE-D4C9DAAED273.jpeg
    5C8D2E46-0293-4362-B8CE-D4C9DAAED273.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 78777992-1D20-41B8-98CB-2EB746DF7867.jpeg
    78777992-1D20-41B8-98CB-2EB746DF7867.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
  • E1AB8A71-887A-43E6-B626-66626EEE5AE2.jpeg
    E1AB8A71-887A-43E6-B626-66626EEE5AE2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • 2F9AC8EA-8A03-467B-A9BB-55CAD0B00391.jpeg
    2F9AC8EA-8A03-467B-A9BB-55CAD0B00391.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 105
  • C13C08A2-8E64-4D5C-A9DC-D5017D25B12E.jpeg
    C13C08A2-8E64-4D5C-A9DC-D5017D25B12E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
  • 53D22613-654A-440D-A4FD-16A2B247FACC.jpeg
    53D22613-654A-440D-A4FD-16A2B247FACC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 111
  • EC9FA89B-B1E5-465E-8814-6E1379F4751B.jpeg
    EC9FA89B-B1E5-465E-8814-6E1379F4751B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
This is a really odd one as I’ve never EVER heard of Don Post helmets being used in the original trilogy. Though I’m sure the guy selling it was genuine in what he said - maybe they did sell a load of stormtrooper helmets to Lucasfilm - it’s just i have never found any evidence that they were used onscreen.

Over the years I’ve had many (and I mean many) people contact me with supposed 'original' stormtrooper helmets they said were screen used and given to them by people at Lucasfilm, often tied in with work they may have done for them. Maybe they were bought in the best intentions by Lucasfilm for use as some form of REALLY background helmets, but in the end they never actually used and were given away to people as promotional items or gifts?

Like a lot of other sad people here I’ve spent years looking into the OT films and have never seen anything that suggests they were used. I think there was a mention in the paperwork that they were used by stuntmen? That’s an odd idea as the DP helmet would offer awful protection to anyone wearing it, given they really are tiny and would be a guaranteed nose-break on any kind of front impact.
In the absence of any evidence of one of these being used in any of the films I just think it’s probably the more likely scenario Is that they were used for promotional purposes. But it would be cool to find out that maybe one busted ass trooper on Endor actually did wear one!

Cheers

Jez

Hi again jez

Thanks for coming on here and posting! Much appreciated

Interesting that you’ve had lots of other contact with people regarding helmets given to them by Lucas film… that would fit with johns number of 150 plus in orders to don post

Having held this in my hand though I do agree for stunt work it would simply not be possible

I’ll consider researching and asking around

Thanks again

During production things can easily change and maybe the change isn't forwarded to the guys on the floor, such as changing the use of the ordered pieces from production to tour or gift pieces instead. So your guy may remember correct in what happened at his end, but things seems to have gone different once it got to Lucasfilm without letting your guy know.

Or maybe there was a miscommunication or simply a misunderstanding of what the ordered pieces were going to be used for.

Or it could be a way to circumvent the license thing your guy mentioned where DP had to give permission to use the pieces, so they made orders with no intention of using them.

For instance, the resculpted Vader helmets that is claimed to have been made at Don Post never saw any production but maybe tour use, but they do show up on costume displays sent to various places.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back