Don Post Boba Fett project

juajn7fernandez

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello folks

I've been coming to this site for a long time but I've never posted anything I'm working on so this will be a first for me.

So I'm gonna be making the most out of me old 1996 Boba Fett helmet from Don Post. I already know its not the most accurate but I'm sure with a little bit of love and a ton of hard work it can make a nice display piece. To be honest I dont troop or anything, I'm simply a long time colector with a passion for prop building and moding.

I did start by cutting the visor area and hand painted some details ages ago but never got around to anything else on this helmet. I've already ordered a nice acrylic visor that should be coming in the mail shortly. I'm planning on re-shaping just a bit. Not that I'm trying to get a better fit but just to enhance the esthetics. Also looking to buy a rangefinder since the original one (still on the helmet) broke and I fixed it horribly as a placeholder.

I plan on giving fit the entire ESB paint job with some awesome stencil files I found over at the dented helmet website.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I should buy the paints for this project?? I've already got a list of Humbrol colors to get the job done but not really sure where the best place to order from would be. I filled my cart over at the Humbrol website only to find out the checkout that they dont ship to the US. So any advice as to where I can find these humbrol paints or alternative brands that can ship to Puerto Rico would be awesome,

Here are some shots of the Helmet today. I'll be posting progress shots as I go.

IMG_0992.jpgIMG_0993.jpgIMG_0994.jpgIMG_0995.jpgIMG_0998.jpgIMG_0999.jpgIMG_1001.jpg

oh man this brings back memories! i cut out my t visor and installed a tinted face shield waaaaay back then. i really look forward to this project as i can relate to it, man its been a long time! best of luck, keep us posted

The Visor is here! I already ordered all the Humbroll enamel colors recommended over at the dented helmet. Here are some shots of the helmet with the visor for a test fit and you can already see there is some potential in this helmet. I will be using the extra visor surface to help with the reshaping of the helmet by screwing it in to place and help maintain the desired shape.

Next step will be removing the stupid paint job I gave it almost two decades ago. Then I'll be filling any little bubbles and imperfections to then be coated with a bit of primer.
IMG_1010.jpgIMG_1014.jpg

I've been moving really slow on this project as I've been super busy with work. However we are indeed moving forward. I was able to remove all the original paint, did a little bit of reshaping, opened up the rear vents and primed the helmet. Also got all my Humbroll colors and I think up next I'll start hitting this bucket with some ESB details!

IMG_1041.jpgIMG_1044.jpgIMG_1045.jpgIMG_1047.jpgIMG_1049.jpg

If any of you have any suggestions or opinions, they are more than welcome.

Dude this takes me back, coming together good! Back then we didn't have a fancy t visor like we have today. I botched up a face shield, tinted it and glued it in

Bro I did that as well back in the late 90's when I first started to mod this helmet! I fell like im finally gonna do this helmet some justice. lol

Update!!

So I finally got started by giving it the first layer. The silver Layer. This was particularly a great first step (as far a the detailing goes) as I really have not used an airbrush in years.This allowed me to get comfortable with it again and get a feel for it. I found that the hardest part was getting an even goat on large areas and this concerns me a bit for painting areas like the dome which will have large sections of what should be an even looking coat. Granted I didnt buy supper professional equipment. I found an electric compressor on ebay for around 60 dollars and an airbrush that was roughly 20. So I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the way the enamel is distributed. The other problem was not knowing if the tiny Humbrol can was gonna be enough to cover the entire helmet and the earpiece+rangefinder. I think I might have thinned the enamel a bit much. I guess we'll find out on the next coats for detailing if it works better by adjusting my enamel / thiner ratio. Either way here are a few shots of the helmet all silvered up.
IMG_1096.jpgIMG_1097.jpgIMG_1099.jpg

I know its been a while but here is where im at with the project. Still have a ton of work to do but I'm trying to tackle a bunch of projects at the same time. At least its moving forward, I just hope I can finish it before the end of the year.

Anyways, feel free to share your thoughts or recommendations.

IMG_0231.jpg IMG_0232.jpg

Nice project..I also have one of this "babys"in my garage.:lol
Its nice to work with one of this before you can paint the really good Boba helmets.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back