Does the use of hot glue seem unprofessional?

Kyengen

Hey all, first post, sorry if it's a little arbitrary. I'm not sure where to ask this particular question. I started making what I've been calling "power props" lately, practical special effect props to imitate super powers. Most of them are some combination of thermo plastics, 3d printing, and varying types of LEDs, as well as control and power boards as needed. I use hot glue as a part of the assembly in pretty much all of it as it conducts light reasonably well, insulates the electronics, and doesn't detract from the overall aesthetic of the final parts if used carefully.

But something about it just feels, I dunno, cheap or amateurish. To be fair I'm mostly an amateur so that kind of flows, but I did open myself to commission work for this stuff as that's a pretty good way to challenge myself and learn new materials and techniques. So now I'm shipping out the occasional product but the internals are...messy isn't the right word exactly, but they don't look like say a nerf gun or professionally made toy. I dunno, I just wanted other opinions on it and I don't really know where to ask. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

examples (some are tests or prototypes):

Zegvg68m.jpg

mNxL68mm.jpg

w9ou4hNm.jpg

OXCgHqtm.jpg

mtRPOwdm.jpg

XocN2fqm.jpg

I have opened professional mass produced toys with hot glue securing internal parts. Special effects guys use it a lot too. If it's good enough for them, it's professional to me.

Ive done both quick moulds on the spot as well as pull parts made of hot glue. If it works when its needed, its the proper material for the job. Now, melt some crayola crayons and pour a part with it. That blew some minds a few times.

Same here...messy thusfar,but not the final product yet,so I have good hopes :lol:
Inside is 'supposed to be messy' ;) try make the exterior as clean as possible,and then you've done your best,right?
To quote Michael Keaton in The Dream Team: "Chaos is o-kay :cool:"

I used Hot Glue with assembling some of my Ghostbuster gear and it looks great as well holds better than any other glue would. I love hot glue for inside parts and pieces that no one will ever see from the outside of a prop.

If there is an "Amateurish" aspect to it, it's the use of "Hobby" hot glue guns. In many industries they use hot glue, in fact some commercial aircraft parts are glued with a form of hot glue. The difference is temperature. Hobby guns are very low temp glue, so the general public doesn't burn themselves. Industrial hot glue guns can run hot enough to melt solder. We use hot glue, but the 3m EC guns we use cost $500 and the glue can be $250 for a 25lb box. These glues will bond steel to steel.
The biggest mistake I see inexperienced builders do, is think "glue" is universal. (90% of the time this is either "Hot glue" or "Super glue")
Mechanical fasteners are king and glue, much of the time is the "lazy choice". Now of course there are many exceptions to this, where adhesives are very strong, but they almost always require very specific surface prep or conditions for this superiority over mechanical fasteners.

I should add, If glues worked as universally well as many people expect them too, there would not be hundreds of glue types and formulas. Look at any large general industrial supply catalog or web site and there are dozens of glues being offered. (McMaster Carr has 15 different categories of adhesives, and around 150 individual types)
This is because of what I stated above. In general all glues require very specific conditions to form a superior bond. Porosity being one of the more universal conditions.
Hobby hot glue is at the bottom of the list when it comes to "works well" on most material. Paper, cloth, leather, sometimes wood in low force conditions are about all hobby hot glue is really good for. Although, if you add enough of it, the mechanical lock you get from a "wall" of it against your parts can be somewhat more effective.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back