Does resin brand matter?

Tenkos

Hey, I live in the UK and I know that most people use and recommend the David's fastglass resin. I was using it as well, but I found that some resins are much better deal. I want to ask if anyone has used and recommends the Lloyd's resin or some other brands? I found website online that for the price of david's fastglass offer over twice the amount of Lloyd's resin, but I do not know whether it is going to be just as good, or whether it is even the same product.

Price aside, is the cheaper resin going to do what you want it to do? You do get what you pay for.

For example, if I buy a good water clear polyurethane, I am looking at about $70/KG. I can buy a KG of cheaper clear polyester casting resin for about half the price, but I won't get the same water clear results.

Sometimes, however, you will find the same stuff under a different brand name for less.

I find the David's stuff expensive.
I use the website posted above. The lloyds stuff is good resin.
I don't buy polyurethane resin from them though as it seems to leak oil after its cured.

David's is expensive because it's aimed at the DIY'er who generally only wants to buy in small quantities.
For a general purpose laminating resin my local fibreglass supply company wants:
£7:00 for 1 kg
£18:00 for 5 kg
£51:00 for 20kg - all plus 20% VAT
It’s a good quality product and I've used a lot of it on commercial projects - but you wouldn’t build / repair a yacht with it because it doesn’t have the certification!
My advice would be to stick with David's if you only buy a bit now and then, but if you’re using a reasonable quantity speak to a local supplier.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back