Does resin brand matter?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Tenkos, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Tenkos

Tenkos New Member

Hey, I live in the UK and I know that most people use and recommend the David's fastglass resin. I was using it as well, but I found that some resins are much better deal. I want to ask if anyone has used and recommends the Lloyd's resin or some other brands? I found website online that for the price of david's fastglass offer over twice the amount of Lloyd's resin, but I do not know whether it is going to be just as good, or whether it is even the same product.

2. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Price aside, is the cheaper resin going to do what you want it to do? You do get what you pay for.

For example, if I buy a good water clear polyurethane, I am looking at about $70/KG. I can buy a KG of cheaper clear polyester casting resin for about half the price, but I won't get the same water clear results.

Sometimes, however, you will find the same stuff under a different brand name for less.

3. clarence

clarence Well-Known Member

I have been using this place for a very long time www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/ They are in South Shields they also do mail order they are willing to help in anyway they can
    I have tried others but allways return.

4. baronvondoom

baronvondoom Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I find the David's stuff expensive.
    I use the website posted above. The lloyds stuff is good resin.
    I don't buy polyurethane resin from them though as it seems to leak oil after its cured.

5. Pro Mod

Pro Mod Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

David's is expensive because it's aimed at the DIY'er who generally only wants to buy in small quantities.
    For a general purpose laminating resin my local fibreglass supply company wants:
    £7:00 for 1 kg
    £18:00 for 5 kg
    £51:00 for 20kg - all plus 20% VAT
    It’s a good quality product and I've used a lot of it on commercial projects - but you wouldn’t build / repair a yacht with it because it doesn’t have the certification!
    My advice would be to stick with David's if you only buy a bit now and then, but if you’re using a reasonable quantity speak to a local supplier.