Does Disney just not care about all the unlicensed Etsy, Ebay, etc stores?

The thing about Disney is that they have a history of going after people, so it does seem strange that they let things slide. I am thinking it is only a matter of time until they decide to start targeting some of the larger unlicensed stores.

While Disney is very litigious when it comes to their own IP, if they've merely bought the IP it seems to fly much further under the radar. And just anecdotally, they seem to have gotten much less harsh about cracking down on these kinds of small operations the last few years, and mostly focus on things that use images or footage from the actual movies.

Lucasfilm has also always kind of had a hands-off approach to this and I do wonder if Disney is letting that standard stand.

I would also think that a replica of Mace Windu's lightsaber would come under harsher scrutiny than one of Obi-Wan's from ANH. After all, that's just a collection of things that exist in the real world

Last edited:
I fear the day they go after TCSS, Roy or Roman.

I'm not an expert by any means, however I think Roman and Roy would be okay, as I can't see what Disney could do to stop recreations of flash handles, or parts like exactra bubble strips, which they don't own.

I may be living in hope rather than confidence in my limited opinion of law

From what I've seen, Disney will most aggressively pursue either 1) someone representing themselves as "official" when they are not, and 2) someone selling something that a paid licensee is also selling. They are very quick to protect the interests of their licensees.
Everything else is just hit and miss.

I also do NOT believe TCSS markets anything as a 'light saber'.. or any other mention of the SW items/universe..

They have been around for a long time.

Maybe if they’re movies were a little more popular right now they would crack down on the unlicensed replica props. But since the Fanbase has been complaining, they probably don’t want to completely alienate their customers by taking away something Star Wars related that they actually do like! LOL

As someone who works on both sides of this, I can tell you that Disney legal is more concerned with larger scale pirated items. Video and mass market merchandise. As long as Etsy stores and con vendors don't do anything to disparage the brand or make any other waves like claim they are official merchandise (don't put a SW logo on your items), The Mouse tends to look the other way.

That surprises me about the sound fonts out there.... (since these are 90% ripped directly from the movies, cartoon, games..etc.. with a little mixing)

Oh they care but that’s the beauty of being the IP Holder.

You can go after whoever you want whenever you want for the most part

Some of these places have been around for years selling Star Wars props, costumes and other stuff.

I can't remember who commented, but someone at Lucasfilm said that under the deal Lucasfilm handles the fan stuff like this and would continue their hands off policy within reason. The comment was not too long after the deal was announced.

I recall watching one of Still Untitled: The Adam Savage project video podcasts and Adam did say that a few friends he keeps in contact with that work for Lucasfilm and they are well aware of who sells what and what kind of dough they are making.

For TCSS, Roy and Roman and people who make replicas of real world parts or just custom parts, I would guess it'd be too hard to go after them.

Also I am in agreement that given the volatile relationship between a lot of fans and Lucasfilm in the last few years I would guess they don't want to rock the boat too much so to speak.

EH-- fandom over-estimates it's impact and worth Star Wars is a juggernaut for its cross-over mass-market appeal. Fandom tries to take ownership, but the hard core geeks like us are a solid foundation of revenue, but the licensees, marketing tie-ins, theme park visitors, and general movie going audience are where most of the money comes from.

Disney wouldn't build theme park expansions for people willing to spends hundreds of dollars building their own lightsabers. That is a subset.

It's a win-win for them; fans trading franchise-related items small scale is free advertising and a healthy, sprawling fanbase translating in more film, theme parks and other official products revenue, when an individual in the crowd starts turning a big enough profit it's one of these fruits ripe for harvest: propose a license or hit them with IP laws and collect the money.
What surprises me is they haven't come up yet with a way of profiting from small scale operations, like a specialized etsy/amazon/patreon/kickstarter/ebay where all the little sellers would flock of their own will in exchange of more exposure and they could gnaw at their combined profits a small fee at a time...

How about this. Maybe they are already raking it in of of Anovos. Licensing is incredibly expensive, let's say they make license+per sale, and they aren't held responsible for delivery. A step further, they literally don't care at all about Anovos abusing the licensure, because (as mentioned) exposure is exposure, and if it ever gets uncomfortable for them marketing-wise they can say something.
The best advertising is free.

I fear the day they go after TCSS, Roy or Roman.

Harder for them to get Roy since he’s over seas

But if they attack him, you know I’m getting the pitch forks!

IMG_8952.gif

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back