Does Disney just not care about all the unlicensed Etsy, Ebay, etc stores?

That surprises me about the sound fonts out there.... (since these are 90% ripped directly from the movies, cartoon, games..etc.. with a little mixing)

I brought this up on "The Vault" facebook group and Deanna from Vader's Vault got pretty upset. It was very interesting...

(spit)
They dont want their stolen idea or work to be closed down I would assume. (greed greed greed)

but its always been a 'grey area' IMHO...

I'd rather see the Mouse profit over those crooks... (from stolen works/ideas) ...ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Last edited:
I brought this up on "The Vault" facebook group and Deanna from Vader's Vault got pretty upset. It was very interesting...
That's because it's not actually true. Even among the ones that are for canon hilts, a lot of those aren't ripped from the movies, and that's very, VERY far from a majority of sound fonts

I doubt many of them are taking the way of Ben Burtt to create original sounds.. (although there is at LEAST one)

That's because it's not actually true. Even among the ones that are for canon hilts, a lot of those aren't ripped from the movies, and that's very, VERY far from a majority of sound fonts
I'm willing to bet that if I purchased the "movie based" sound fonts and loaded them into Ableton and compared the .wav to the movie foley, they would be exactly the same sound. I mean, that's the idea right? People want the exact same foley from the movies?

I'm willing to bet that if I purchased the "movie based" sound fonts and loaded them into Ableton and compared the .wav to the movie foley, they would be exactly the same sound. I mean, that's the idea right? People want the exact same foley from the movies?
Maybe those specifically, but I've got 4 Luke RotJ sound fonts on my V2 and they all sound different, so I'd still take that bet

I believe there is mixing/fading..etc done as well.. for background noise as well as making the files 'seamless' during looping playback and FX triggers..

but as far as I know MOST are just ripping base audio clips from some previously sold/released media..

I would have happily paid them for it if that were the case. I could have saved thousands if you consider that for them to mass produce it would be far cheaper.

Maybe those specifically, but I've got 4 Luke RotJ sound fonts on my V2 and they all sound different, so I'd still take that bet
Yeah but who knows where those .wavs came from... There's more than one "ignition" in ROTJ... and on top of that you've got Battlefront and a whole host of video games to pull from. You might have 4 Hero fonts, but there's probably like 16 or more I bet... all created by Lucasfilm and not whoever is selling them *at profit* on saberfont. Whether it's illegal or not to sell somebody else's foley, idk... I do know that the concept of selling somebody else's creative work at profit sort of rubs me the wrong way.

Well if they had ever given us half of the quality that the non licensed folks have given us over the years we'd just buy it all from them wouldn't we
Oh absolutely. I'd love nothing more than being able to pay for uncompressed .wavs of Burtt's work. Sadly, it doesn't look like that's going to be an offering from SkySound at any point

Lucasfilm (now Disney) learned a lesson from CBS/Paramount's enforcement of Star Trek rights... Don't pi$$ off your most loyal portion of your fan base. As a result they really on enforce things when it becomes poking them in the eye... Lets hope it stays that way.

Jedi Dade

There was a another member here who did blanks and he also has vanished.

Guess the bear got poked enough to come out of hibernation
Yep. You push it too far and the bear can get angry. I have heard of some who ignored a C&D letter and I am sure that only pissed the bear off even more, lol.

When you are a small time prop builder and do small runs here and there and treat this like a hobby, they usually leave you alone. But you start making this into a business, and start to turn a good profit... then they might just set their sites on you. We see many prop makers start up web pages, and start advertising all over the internet, and that is only drawing more attention to their business.

Everyone seems to like to speculate about this subject, and convince themselves that Disney is avoiding "poking themselves in the eye", so they proceed without any concern what-so-ever, then they get surprised when the LP owner cracks down. These are the same people who will cry fowl when the company comes down on them and take to the forums to compain that they are unfairly being targeted.

We are ALL playing in the studio's sandbox, and if they decide to kick us out in the form of a C&D or lawsuit, we cannot cry or defend our position.

Most likely because there is licensed product for cap shield props... when its direct competition for an item they approved and charged a license fee for - they almost have to...

Jedi Dade

I feel like 2/3 of the sellers just offer raw 3dprint pieces who need a lot if work to end up a final piece. Maybe that's something that Disney think don't need the effort

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back