Does Bondo spot putty work on resin?

Very informative videos, Matt. Thanks :cool

Ok, so my order of Apoxie Sculpt arrived, last night (the 1lb kit is very deceiving - especially with what they charge for shipping).

So, looking over the package, they say it has a batter-like consistency. How do you keep this stuff from running all over the place, if it's a watery mess?

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

-Fred

The apoxie I have always used isn't batter-like at all. It's quite a bit thicker, no chance of running. Kind of like molding clay. It will take water (like dip your fingers in water) to get the finish to be nice and slick.

Agree totally with Rebelscum, and am confused by the "batter-like consistency".

I'll have to check the directions on the labeling of mine. And Fred if you can post pics of the Apoxie, I'd be interested in seeing if its the same.

I use JB Weld Kwick for all my resin repair needs. Used with wax paper, you can apply it smooth and it trims easily. Once hardened, sands easily also. I used it for tons of stuff.

The apoxie I have always used isn't batter-like at all. It's quite a bit thicker, no chance of running. Kind of like molding clay. It will take water (like dip your fingers in water) to get the finish to be nice and slick.

This was an error, on my part (sorta). There's a printing smudge on the back of the packaging, where it looks like the word "batter", if you look at it just right. Reading further through the packaging, it says putty-like, so I guess it's safe to assume that the first one says "Putty-like" and not "Batter-Like" :facepalm :lol. Though, over the course of the packaging, they do like to use different descriptors, for their product. There's both "putty-like", and "clay-like", in the description and "how to use" section.

Agree totally with Rebelscum, and am confused by the "batter-like consistency".

I'll have to check the directions on the labeling of mine. And Fred if you can post pics of the Apoxie, I'd be interested in seeing if its the same.

Mine will probably look different, because after seeing the 1lb tub on youtube, I looked mine over and saw that they sent me the 4oz (though they charged me for the 1lb). The size should have been the initial tip-off, but you can't judge how much something will weigh, simply by it's size.

I use JB Weld Kwick for all my resin repair needs. Used with wax paper, you can apply it smooth and it trims easily. Once hardened, sands easily also. I used it for tons of stuff.

I've had JB Kwik flake off, on too many projects, to use it for anything other than thread cement, anymore. I can't get it to stick to anything other than itself, and I need something that's going to act amlost like a part of the original casting.

I'm waiting to hear back from Aves, to see what they're going to say about returning the 4oz, for the 1lb (considering it's already paid for and I don't think I should have to pay for return shipping).

-Fred

This was an error, on my part (sorta). There's a printing smudge on the back of the packaging, where it looks like the word "batter", if you look at it just right. Reading further through the packaging, it says putty-like, so I guess it's safe to assume that the first one says "Putty-like" and not "Batter-Like" :facepalm :lol. Though, over the course of the packaging, they do like to use different descriptors, for their product. There's both "putty-like", and "clay-like", in the description and "how to use" section.

Checekd mine and "putty" is likewise the word used.

I've contacted Aves about the incorrect order and they told me that I could keep the 1/4 set they sent and they would get me the 1lb set, ASAP. Now that's some good customer service :thumbsup.

-Fred

Aves Apoxie Sculpt is similar to Plumbers putty but less grainy. Once mixed it's like clay and dries rock hard in about 3 hours. It starts to harden in about an hour. I have the 4 lbs bucket at my house.

You can accelerate the drying in an oven and smooth it with water or alcohol.

If you want a more fluid product, try the Aves Paste. Self leveling and more liquid consistency.

FB

So, I've had a day and change, to play with this stuff and I have to say - I'm pretty impressed. I can fill in odd-shaped gaps that I had written off as imposible to fill with styrene. It sands to shape, quite well, and you can add new clay on top of old, and blend it seamlessly, without concern of it falling off.

Have to say, I'm pretty damn happy with this product - it's solving a lot of issues I would have struggled with, before.

Thanks for the recommendation, everyone :cool.

-Fred

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back