Does anyone know what company made the Catwoman whips for Batman Returns?

I've been out of the whip game for quite a while, but I seem to remember that our friend David Morgan (of Indy whip fame) was behind the Catwoman whips too. They used to be carried in his catalog as one of the Austrailian imports, lighter and with a longer handle than Morgan's own "Indy" whips. I have a 10' of that style in brown, in storage back the World...which helps with nothing, of course, but I'm just sayin' ;)

A quick trip to Mr. Morgan's website (www.davidmorgan.com , oddly enough) later and I do not see that pattern listed anymore. The last time I talked to the gentleman, he was slowing down the braiding side of the house due to age. Nice guy.

Alex

He might make you one if you ask.

It won't be cheap but you can be sure it will be the best.

Thnks guys. Here's the info I mined from David Morgans website........

What whips were used in Batman Returns?
Our Australian bullwhips, No. 451C Bullwhip, 6 ft and No. 453C Bullwhip, 8 ft, were supplied for Batman Returns. The whips were dyed black by the studio. The 8 foot length was preferred for most stunts.

-Jason M

The Catwoman whip from Batman Returns is "The Australian Whip" from Terry Jacka, an Australian whipmaker who's stuff you can find from David Morgan or Western Stage Props. Terry's been making whips for over 20 years now, and his stuff is, in my opinion, some of the best out there.

http://www.westernstageprops.com/miva/merc...tegory_Code=BCW

OR

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=407

David's prices are about the same on Jacka whip when you factor in shipping, but you can't specify color from David.

Word of warning if you're looking for a "Screen Accurate" whip though:
Terry doesn't make them like he used to though.

The transition between the handle and the thong, (the braid,) is a lot stiffer, and the handle is a little thinner, (he used to use cane for the handle foundation, now he uses fiberglass.) I've played with both n my humble opinion as a whip artist, the design changes produce a much better whip. I've got one in 6' that I use for targeting and multiple cracking routines in shows, and it is a dream.

Sorry so long in reply, but I JUST joined. Been lurking for a while.

If anyone has any further questions about this whip, or any other whips in general, drop me a PM, and I'll help out where I can.

-Dan Trout
Media Liasion
Society of American Whip Artisty
www.whipsociety.com

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back