Does anyone here know much about flintlocks?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by hydin, Jun 4, 2015.

1. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was hoping someone here knew about flintlock pistols, and could identify the make/model of one for me.

While the show has been cancelled, I really liked Forever and would like to own a replica of the flintlock you see in the show.

[​IMG]

This is one of the few things that I have literally no idea how to even really begin searching for, but any help is appreciated.

If it helps, the pistol is supposed to be about 200 years old, and possibly navy (was used by a ship captain).

Thanks in advance :)

Chris

2. Lambzilla

Lambzilla Well-Known Member

Looks like it could be an Elliot Light Dragoon, but British Flintlock pistols all look pretty much the same to me.

3. Cameron1138

Cameron1138 Active Member

A quick Google search did bring this up, which from what I can tell looks like it could definitely be the same type:

101025F15F14rF1snKtcYSzJj9a6ZanOTm3dHiAV.jpg (from here: http://www.warstuff.com/Early-1800s-Light-Dragoon-Officers-Private-Purch-i1557505.htm)

It says it's a "Light Dragoon Officer's Pistol" from the early 1800s by Chance & Co. I don't know what that means, but perhaps someone who knows more about military history would be able to help with that.

4. hydin

Yea, that one is pretty close...

I'll try and grab some more shots later to see if we can narrow it down a bit more.

thanks guys :)

Chris

5. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

If the age of the firearm is true and indeed owned by a ship's captain, it may well be as others have said, but personalized by the captain. Rather like how owners of Harley-Davidson motorcycles personlize their machines? A ship's captain would have earned enough to do such a thing.

6. Alric

Alric Well-Known Member

If you do a search for royal navy flintlock pistol you get a lot of pictures that are close to the gun and all quite similar, I think identifying the exact model might be quite difficult.

7. LabMan

LabMan Member

8. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Sr Member

Yup, this looks like it as well. This one has the stamps on the lock plate.
    flintlock rpf.png

9. hydin

I would not have put it beneath the prop guys on the show to make it look a little different.

Some amazing leads though, thank you all :D

Chris

10. Conqueror_Worm

Conqueror_Worm Well-Known Member

I've been doing a lot of flintlock research lately (the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo is this month).
    This one looks very similar:
    http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/PELD.shtml
    It looks like the one in the image you posted has the same markings (the word "TOWER" behind the hammer, and a crown below the pan).

11. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Lightened that image for you.

Attached Files:

gunnerk19 likes this.