Does anyone have experience with "Blue Stuff" (molding material)?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by MadMike, Sep 2, 2015.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Hello everybody,

first of all, if this is the wrong category, feel free to move.

I stumbled across this stuff here simply called "Blue Stuff", which seems to be a reusable molding material (this product page even states that it will "last for ever")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx_N3dAIufY

From what I see and read, it seems to be some pretty darn good stuff (especially for things you just want to mold and cast only once), but does anyone here has experience with it? Is it recommandable?

2. ultraman

ultraman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yeah it's pretty cool stuff!

i've been using another namebrand called "instantmold" which is exactly the same thing..it was one of the first to come out.
    i think you should try it...instantmold that is...because its transparent and you can see if the casting material you are molding has air bubbles in it or not, which i think may be harder to do with blue stuff.

cmn9001.jpg

3. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is this stuff similar to those plastic beads that you heat to soften in hot water? Once they soften, they are supposed to only stick to themselves and can be used to make pretty much any shape. You can then mold and cast from them as well.

4. ultraman

you know what...i bet it is the same material marketed under different names.

cavx likes this.
  5. Belgen

Belgen New Member

I uses the istant mold; it depends on what material you want to make the copy, sometimes reacts badly and you lose the mold and material. Also it is not suitable for objects too detailed or too large (you need a lot of instant mold for a two/more of two pieces mold, and it's not cheaper).

Still has advantages: it does not smell, does not stain and it can work with your hand. If you do not have to make extremely precise copies is very useful.

Hope you understand this thread (english is not my language...) :)

6. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

THIS is the stuff I thinking of.

I've never used it, but have seen stuff made from it. Kind of the best of Plasticine and plastic and useful for small sculpts, but I don't think you would want to make a mold with it though.

7. ultraman

it's probably the same stuff......now which one is cheaper in bulk?!?!? LOL

8. dhunpael

dhunpael Active Member

nice to know, bookmarked as an informative thread :$