Doctor Who (Troughton) recorder

Starkiller

Has anyone ever constructed a Patrick Troughton recorder? Can anyone determine what company model it is? I see some gold highlights but I havenÂ’t notice any other distinguishing featuresÂ… beside the blue paint which I assume was applied by the prop department.

I am kind of curious myself. It's the one prop I think of when I think of Troughton's Doctor.

I've been wanting to do one for years....but been very slow on it. I've grabbed a cheapie recorder from Ikea (needs a bit of sanding to get rid of the "recyclable" mark on it, but the base colour looks right. Anyone have any good pictures of just the recorder? I'm curious about the tassle, same colour as the paintjob, just off? any ideas

Switz

From some old notes I have, the one you pictured is from Troughton's first story, Power of the Daleks. The only other pics I have are from The Three Doctors, which used a different prop--not sure if the "Powers" recorder was used exclusively during his original stint on the show or not.

The "Power" recorder has light & dark blue paint, with gold swirls and stars (maybe?)

PowerOfTheDaleks1.jpg

PowerOfTheDaleks2.jpg

The "3 Drs" one looks almost like it could be plastic! The mouthpiece is white, and the single dark blue swirl goes all the way to the very tip of the piece--sorry there's no close-ups, I already had this multiple image pic "on file" ;)

3Drs.jpg

I have a nice one from eBay I hope to paint up.....eventually :lol

The Fifth Doctor finds a recorder in the story Castrovalva inside the Tardis after regenerating. I can't remember if it's just a recorder or if it looks like Troughton's. I know it was a nod to the Second Doctor though.

I thought I’d resurrect this post. As it’s something I would like to tackle next. I would love to see if anyone else ever made a replica.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently working on a replica of the recorder for a client. Does anyone have any decent pics of the gold details down the last 2/3rds of the recorder? Or any idea what the pattern is?

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find any pics of the recorder, but i'm still sifting thru. But this site will help with other projects i'm working on as well.

Thanks a million for the help. That pic you mentioned is in this thread actually, but it's been reversed for whatever purpose. The one you found however is much crisper in color and sharpness. From how it looks tho, it seems what I thought was gold details, looks more like spots where the paint's been chipped off. What's anyone else think?

Also, if anyone's interested, I'm also working on another recorder just like this one, a third recorder done in the style of the Three Doctors, the Master's TCE, The 7th Doctor's digital pocket watch from Silver Nemesis, and 2 7th Doctor umbrellas. All will be posted on ebay eventually unless someone here makes an offer. I also do commissioned pieces. This recorder I'm working on is for a specific client.

Also, if anyone's interested, I'm also working on another recorder just like this one, a third recorder done in the style of the Three Doctors, the Master's TCE, The 7th Doctor's digital pocket watch from Silver Nemesis, and 2 7th Doctor umbrellas. All will be posted on ebay eventually unless someone here makes an offer. I also do commissioned pieces. This recorder I'm working on is for a specific client.

Pending pictures/price I might be interested in one or all of Power/daleks Recorder, 7th doctor pocket watch and Master TCE. There's a bunch of folks still lined up for the Umbrella group run on gallifrey Base and 1 or 2 of them may spring for the 7th Doctor Umbrella again price pending. I can shoot pics and info over to that thread when you're ready.

One of the recorders is already spoken for. It's a wood one that i got for a pretty penny, so it's going for a pretty penny. The second one i'm working on is plastic, and i got it pretty cheap, so i'll probably let that one go for around $20-$25. I'm still gathering parts for the TCE, but from what i've found thus far, it's going to be cheap, like $15 before shipping. The watch is still in pre production. Looking for parts ect, so i have no idea yet what it'll be priced at. The Umbrellas, when i put them on ebay i have them start at auction for $75, with a buy it now of $100. Again, before shipping.

Is this plastic recorder going to be like the Three Doctor or Power of the Daleks? I'm still interested in that and the TCE and price pending the watch. That price for the umbrellas falls just about where the monthly group runs used to go for so when you have pics I'll gladly post in the GB threads and see if anyone wants to make you an offer before you post them up on ebay.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back