Doctor Who (Troughton) recorder

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Starkiller, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Starkiller

Starkiller New Member

Has anyone ever constructed a Patrick Troughton recorder? Can anyone determine what company model it is? I see some gold highlights but I havenÂ’t notice any other distinguishing featuresÂ… beside the blue paint which I assume was applied by the prop department.

[​IMG]

2. Starkiller

Starkiller New Member

3. Wickerness

Wickerness Well-Known Member

I am kind of curious myself. It's the one prop I think of when I think of Troughton's Doctor.

4. switz

switz New Member

I've been wanting to do one for years....but been very slow on it. I've grabbed a cheapie recorder from Ikea (needs a bit of sanding to get rid of the "recyclable" mark on it, but the base colour looks right. Anyone have any good pictures of just the recorder? I'm curious about the tassle, same colour as the paintjob, just off? any ideas

Switz

5. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They sell woodwind instruments at Ikea. :confused

6. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

From some old notes I have, the one you pictured is from Troughton's first story, Power of the Daleks. The only other pics I have are from The Three Doctors, which used a different prop--not sure if the "Powers" recorder was used exclusively during his original stint on the show or not.

The "Power" recorder has light & dark blue paint, with gold swirls and stars (maybe?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "3 Drs" one looks almost like it could be plastic! The mouthpiece is white, and the single dark blue swirl goes all the way to the very tip of the piece--sorry there's no close-ups, I already had this multiple image pic "on file" ;)

[​IMG]

I have a nice one from eBay I hope to paint up.....eventually :lol

7. switz

switz New Member

well, it's a plastic-wind I guess.....it was called Spela, and oddly enough didn't come with an allen key....

8. Wickerness

Wickerness Well-Known Member

The Fifth Doctor finds a recorder in the story Castrovalva inside the Tardis after regenerating. I can't remember if it's just a recorder or if it looks like Troughton's. I know it was a nod to the Second Doctor though.

9. Texastimelord

Texastimelord Member

I thought I’d resurrect this post. As it’s something I would like to tackle next. I would love to see if anyone else ever made a replica.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  10. RobTFirefly

RobTFirefly Member

That recorder is a plain cream-colored one, in the scene where he first finds a mirror and his cricket outfit. Here it is on the 'tube (with bad sound.)

11. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

I'm currently working on a replica of the recorder for a client. Does anyone have any decent pics of the gold details down the last 2/3rds of the recorder? Or any idea what the pattern is?

12. manofsteel25

manofsteel25 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

13. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find any pics of the recorder, but i'm still sifting thru. But this site will help with other projects i'm working on as well.

14. nimitzbrood

nimitzbrood Member

15. nimitzbrood

nimitzbrood Member

This page: The Power of the Daleks

This picture: d2-2e-042

The recorder is upside-down so you can see most of what would be covered by his hands.

16. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

Thanks a million for the help. That pic you mentioned is in this thread actually, but it's been reversed for whatever purpose. The one you found however is much crisper in color and sharpness. From how it looks tho, it seems what I thought was gold details, looks more like spots where the paint's been chipped off. What's anyone else think?

17. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

Also, if anyone's interested, I'm also working on another recorder just like this one, a third recorder done in the style of the Three Doctors, the Master's TCE, The 7th Doctor's digital pocket watch from Silver Nemesis, and 2 7th Doctor umbrellas. All will be posted on ebay eventually unless someone here makes an offer. I also do commissioned pieces. This recorder I'm working on is for a specific client.

18. manofsteel25

Pending pictures/price I might be interested in one or all of Power/daleks Recorder, 7th doctor pocket watch and Master TCE. There's a bunch of folks still lined up for the Umbrella group run on gallifrey Base and 1 or 2 of them may spring for the 7th Doctor Umbrella again price pending. I can shoot pics and info over to that thread when you're ready.

19. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

One of the recorders is already spoken for. It's a wood one that i got for a pretty penny, so it's going for a pretty penny. The second one i'm working on is plastic, and i got it pretty cheap, so i'll probably let that one go for around $20-$25. I'm still gathering parts for the TCE, but from what i've found thus far, it's going to be cheap, like $15 before shipping. The watch is still in pre production. Looking for parts ect, so i have no idea yet what it'll be priced at. The Umbrellas, when i put them on ebay i have them start at auction for $75, with a buy it now of $100. Again, before shipping.

20. manofsteel25

Is this plastic recorder going to be like the Three Doctor or Power of the Daleks? I'm still interested in that and the TCE and price pending the watch. That price for the umbrellas falls just about where the monthly group runs used to go for so when you have pics I'll gladly post in the GB threads and see if anyone wants to make you an offer before you post them up on ebay.

21. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

It's going to be like the one from Power of the Daleks. I still havn't found all the parts i need for the watch. I've found the perfect pocket watch, but the only screen accurate digitals are WAY over my budget, and I wouldn't feel right charging what i'd have to for the watch to make my money back. I'm starting to wonder if a screen cap would work instead of a working digital watch, but that'd feel a bit like cheating to me, and I think it would be cooler if the watch really told time, and could technically be "functional". But i'm just a geek that way. Also, if you want to see any of my previous work, including my last Umbrella, I have some of it up on my Myspace page. It's Calaveras Custom Props (Adam Freitas) | MySpace. There's alot of pics i still need to post on there, but I did put my umbrella on there. Also, on the umbrella, The one i used in those pics isn't the most screen accurate. The tip is too thick and made of plastic. One of the two i'm making is identical to that, but the other is going to be on a different umbrella i found just a couple weeks ago that's very screen accurate, with the correct tip and everything. I'd grab another of those and make both of the new umbrellas correct, but i've already got the handle off the less accurate one, so might as well use it. The client who bought the one in those pics loved it despite the tip anyway.

22. manofsteel25

I have a screen accurate Twin Graph II watch for the McCoy pocket watch you could use. The read out is a little faded but it's still worked fine. My understanding was most modern pocket watches are a little smaller today so it's hard to fit the pocket watch and the extra surrounding bits and make it look like the original.

23. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

Well, i found a watch with the same cover i'm going to get when i can afford it. It's not pricy, i'm just running low at the moment. Once i have that, and know what size it is i'll certainly send you a message. Also, if you've got the right digital, then that'll make it drastically cheaper than i was thinking, because the twin graph was the problem child piece. What are the dimensions of the twin graph?

24. manofsteel25

It's pretty small. Let me dig it up tonight and I'll shoot you proper dimensions tomorow. But yeah Makes more sense to use the Twin Graph for real than a cover. Cost me a bit but not nearly as high as I have seen them go!

25. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

Since i've been lookng for it, i've only found one. It was on ebay, and went for like $60 something. Seriously, what is it with this digital watch? I guess Douglas Adams was right.

26. manofsteel25

PM sent about the Twin Graph measurements- Yeah $60-$85 seems to be the going rate for this watch- heavens knows why when so many other 80's digital watches go for far less...

27. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

I got the pm. Soon as i get the pocket watch, i'll measure to fit. And yea. it's the exact same cover. Hunter with dog. And duh....It's so pricy cause people like us wanna get it, tear it apart, and do cool things with the guts. Hm...good thing we're talkin about a watch...that sounded almost Lecterish.

28. manofsteel25

I can't imagine it's status as the 7th Doctor pocket watch base (not exactly common knowledge either) is the sole reason for the price being what it is. I just don't see that many fans of McCoy out there who are into making the prop. It must have some significance beyond that to digital/casio watch collectors, though I don't for the life of me know what it is. Anyway let me know. It' sitting here waiting to be goto a good pocket watch.

29. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

I was...erm....making a joke. But yea...i have no idea what people see in the * thing. It's not exactly "High Tech" anymore. I'll order the pocket watch as soon as i get these recorders done.

30. Straker

Straker Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough I've been working on a 2nd Doc's recorder of my own for a little now. Just painted the blue wrap around spiral on it. I did a few things a bit different since I wasn't going for an exact duplicate. The recorder I go off eBay for like $3.00 or so and it is not a bad piece. I'll try to get a picture of my process posted here if anyone is interested.

31. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

I am most DEFINENTLY interested! I got three recorders. One's already spoken for. It's all wood, nicely done, with a case. I got it for $35 after shipping. I got another one that's plastic for $6 after shipping, and a cheapo from walmart for a buck that i'm going to make into the Three Doctor's version.

32. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

I just found out who you are Manofsteel25...or should i call you Bob? That vid....45 years and beyond has been in my favorites since i first was told about it. It's AMAZING.

33. manofsteel25

Thanks CCP- I was pretty happy with how 45 years came out considering how fast and loose we shot it during the gally '09 convention! I'm glad everyone liked it and voted it the winner.

34. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

so, anyone know if the top of the recorder has some kind of gold or other color relief work, or is the paint just scrapped off?

35. Straker

OK, here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry it took so long to respond. My yahoo email was spamming the message alerts despite having the RPF mail in my address book.

Anyway, as you can see the spiral design is broken by the ringed sections where the recorder can be broken down for cleaning. I know there are pictures of the recorder with the spiral going over those but I liked this look a little better. I still have to tidy up the paint a little and add the tassels to it. I am looking for green ones. I plan to use a couple of the grooves in te bottom piece to string the tassels to the recorder and some metal beads for spacers.

36. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

Nicely done. Reminds me of the 2 Doctor's version. I'd love to see more pics once you've done all the detail work. My recorder is on hold at the moment. The Client put it on hold. I have almost finished my second umbrella tho.

37. Straker

Thanks! I didn't have a lot of reference material so I kinda based it partly on the 2nd Doctor figure from Character Options and a few publicity pictures I found here and there. Figured my custom paint options wouldn't be too out of place what with how the recorder always looks different XD I MAY add gold to it here and there but I dunno.

I'll definately post some pictures when I'm done ^_^

38. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

Yea, that's my biggest problem with my replica. I'm SUCH a perfectionist! Only happy when i get it EXACT, and there are so few decent shots of the recorder. One thing i'm having the most trouble with is the top. Is that some kind of gold filigree on the top? But in one pic, it looks like the paint's just been chipped and scrapped off. It's maddening!

39. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

Bump, nudge, elbow

40. Vlair

Vlair Well-Known Member

So here's a question, to drag this subject out from the depths, which is how are the tassells attatched? I was at a dollar store, and they had reocrders, paint, and the tassels all there, so I took that as a sign and picked them up. The recorder isnt 100% accurate to the one used, but for $1 I dont overly mind.

41. Vlair

Vlair Well-Known Member

So yeah, $4 and a few hours later, I have a Troughton Recorder. Its not 100% by any stretch of the Imagination, but I think its a pretty good replica.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of my Lovely Girlfriend, Posing with it

[​IMG]

42. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dollar Store win! Not too shabby for $4. :)

43. Vlair

Vlair Well-Known Member

Why thank you! And yeah, yay dollar stores. Worth every penny. :p

44. CCP

CCP Well-Known Member

So how on earth did you attach the tassels? I'm having the exact same problem! I found some tassels i liked, but no way to attach em. And i'm still trying to figure out the "Gold or worn" paint issue as well. Nice job on yours btw.

45. Vlair

Vlair Well-Known Member

if you look at the pictures of him with his recorder, there are two silver rings around the endof the recorder, which i'm 99% sure are what the tassels are attatched to. What I did, on mine, was cut the tassels to the right length, and then took a needle and thread, and went through the top of the cord repeatedly, fixing it all together. Then i wrapped this thread around the recorder, matching where the rings on his recorder are (Convieninently, there are ridges on mine already in those spots, making it easy to match) and putting the needle through the cord upon each wrapping. Once both of these were attatched like this, i put a very light layer of hot glue on top of each, whiping it flush to the tops of the ridges. It dried clear, with a slight shine, like the metal rings.

on the gold/word debate, I simply didnt sand the top of it, so when I used the acrylic paints on it, they coated it without fully bonding to it. then, when they were dry, i put pieces of tape strategically on top of it, rubbing it in tight, and then pulling it off quickly. it flaked the paint, giving a pretty good worn look IMO

46. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The last pic there with your GF really sells it. When I saw the first two it just looks like a bad paint job but when you see it from the "proper" distance it matches the original pretty well I think. :thumbsup

47. Vlair

Vlair Well-Known Member

Yeah. She makes everything better like that. :p And thanks!

48. Cyber

Cyber Active Member

I know this thread is bit old, but having decided I might look at attempting to recreate a second Doctor style recorder I found this thread after a short search.
    Some interesting ideas and some great source material.

Couple of quick questions come to mind...
    Firstly some of the screen shots look like the recorder is plastic, and a cream type base colour, is this what people think?
    Secondly, what is the best paint to use on a plastic recorder, and any tips for applying would be gratefully received.
    Finally, how do people temporarily block holes whilst painting to ensure recorder stays usable?

49. Straker

Well, I dunno what exactly they used in the show. Some recorders I had seen used in the show looked plastic to me but not all of them during Troughton's run and his was so colored with paint that who knows. It could have been ivory.XD I used plastic because I found that cream colored one looked the right color and was literally a few dollars. I picked out a Rustolium blue paint that I thought looked nice and masked off the recorder with black electricians tape after a thorough cleaning to remove oils since i was priming it. To keep paint from going inside I rolled a piece of paper up and put it inside the recorder and let it expand to fill it. Since every other hole was taped over I only had to worry about a few of them.I didn't add any gold nor did I try for straight out accuracy but I was pleased enough with the results. I found a tassel for it that was green but I never did post the finished recorder here:
    [​IMG]
    It's there in that group shot. I MIGHT still add the gold to it at least but I might not. XD

50. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

From what I can tell, the "The Three Doctors" recorder is wooden with a plastic mouth piece and blue electrical tape for the stripe.

Made myself a close enough version with a $$$ Store recorder to put in my Time Cabinet this weekend, but my camera is out on loan. :/