Doctor Who Sontaran Build (New Series Hybrid)

Scouser

Hi everybody. This is my first time sharing any of my work. I was working on this Sontaran for my g/f because she wants a Sontaran outfit. It will be a hybrid because I don't have a way to make the new series suit and we are not as fond of the old helmets and neck piece. Soo... the suit is not shown here, but was custom made. Could add it later I guess if anybody wanted to see it.

Don't have the elbow and knee pads made, but they will be made out of foam. Gloves will be make eventually also, and aiming for new series look, same with boots.

Also, on these pics, the neck and helmet are not perfectly matched. I took these pics after I sanded the helmet and was about to prep it for more bondo. If you look too close you will see imperfections. This was my first time ever using bondo and I am getting better with each piece. I will add plastic to the eyes once the helmet lip is done so I don't mess them up accidentally. (Felt in the eyes currently just to give the appearance of the lens).

The pep file credit I have to give to MovieMan. I was looking for another file and ran across this one. It was not totally ready for hands off build, but close enough you can figure it out. Like the base of the neck is different in the build up pics. The rank piece on neck is blank and the symbol above the eyes are missing. There was also internal pieces that were very confusing when building, especially the shoulders, but like I said, you can figure it out if you know what the armor looks like. Pep build was hardened with smooth cast 320/321, fiberglass cloth and bondo (reg and fiberglass versions).

Helmet will be secured with earth magnets to the neck since they are very strong and will keep helmet in place with no pieces in visual views.. Will use plastic quick connect fasteners for shoulders to neck I think.

Anyway, here is the build ....so far for any feedback. Also any tips for using bondo are always welcome!

P2200180.jpg

P2290186.jpg

P3150220.jpg

P3150221.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Sontaran Helmet, Neck & Shoulders (New Series) Doctor Who

Thanks! I hope to update later this weekend or maybe next week with more pictures of it completely done. Just depends on how quick I can get through my homework, ugh...and get ready for finals.

I really wish I had the knowledge, equipment and room to attempt some of the new series Doctor Who items. The Sontaran suit would be pretty nice to duplicate. Maybe once I move back into a real house I will be able to do something. I think once we have the Hybrid of old and new series done, it will look pretty good. Guess that is the good thing about humanoid characters with military uniforms/armor, you can mix and match and get away with it, especially since Sontaran females are not suppose to be fighting. She can have a story of scavenged items, etc. I plan to add some battle scaring also since I always hated the brand new look all the aliens had.

Doctor Who Sontaran Helmet, Neck & Shoulders (New Series)

Wanted to add a pic of the suit that is going with the pepakura build. We still have a bit to go, but at least this gives a good idea of the basics. Can't believe I forgot to pick up nylon straps for my buckles, so need to do that tomorrow since duct tape is only good for photo shoots haha.

P3230225.jpg

Re: Sontaran Helmet, Neck & Shoulders (New Series)

You have brought much honor to the 10th Sontaran Battlefleet...

I really like the new series Sontaran and you have done them proud!

I have been trying to build something similar recently, and have been getting frustrated by the collar design, always finding that it either pinches on my chest or else has large gaps on my chest and back, and does not simply rest on the shoulders right. Where did you find the papercraft models for this outfit? It would probably make a good start for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

I have been trying to build something similar recently, and have been getting frustrated by the collar design, always finding that it either pinches on my chest or else has large gaps on my chest and back, and does not simply rest on the shoulders right. Where did you find the papercraft models for this outfit? It would probably make a good start for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Hi Mark,
The files I used from Movieman can be found here: sontarian armour unfolded.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Please make sure that if you share this with anybody, Movieman gets credit please as I like to ensure the creator of the file is credited properly, especially since the file was free.

Also, if anybody uses this build or adds to it, please let me (and others) know. Not many Sontarans out there, so nice to see a growing community. Also, if anybody makes new series gloves or pieces not listed, please share. If somebody makes the gloves and is willing to sell a copy, I would be interested until I can find time to do it myself...which may be a while since my main focus is my cyberman.

Cheers!
Devlin

Just wanted to do another update with the Sontaran build. I have been working on the rifle and it was a royal pain, but I have it down to two sections which I will join together once I get electronics in the barrel.

I still need to smooth it out some too then it is on to paint. At least it looks okay with the primer for now.

P5130277.jpg

Once it is together, it should look something like this....

P5130278.jpg

nice work! Love doctor who so this is awesome! Side note: is that a sycorax costume i see in your profile?

Yes, that was from Chicago Tardis 2 years ago....which was my first Who convention and first time making a costume. Now I am hooked since my g/f and I got best craftsmanship. I am hoping for a best in show on one of our outfits this year. This year my g/f plans to go as the Sontaran and I am still working on my cybus style cyberman, which is coming along slowly because me and bondo have a love hate relationship.
Here is the whole outfit. Wish you could see the details a bit more. (The body you kinda see some of on the left is my g/f in her vasta suit we made)

sycorax.jpg

Wanted to update this with basically the finished product. I have the pieces on a duct-tape dummy, so the old style black suit is not on it. But that suit is a few post up. Still debating on a belt or not... but if we do add one, it will come much later since I am working on my own project now. The helmet now also has so many magnets in it, I can lift the helmet and the neck piece will stick to it. Just no headbanging.

I have the images rotated on photobucket, no idea why they are not rotated correctly here. Hopefully they will correct themselves soon. If not, my apologizes.

P7280025.jpg

I just noticed I should have tightened the shoulders on the back piece a little more since it is sagging just below the neck piece some. At an angle to avoid the sunlight coming in and see detail a little more.

P7280026.jpg

Gun done, but I think I am going to redo the mid section to attach together better. Just need to leave it where I can open it and pull out the light controller for battery change if need to. I have it lit up here, but next pic shows it better.

P7280024.jpg

P7280021.jpg

Well, that is it basically.... Hybrid Sontaran. We do have some knee and elbow pads to work with the outfit, but they are not made, just store bought. Gloves next to the gun we bought too. There is a small company logo on them, but I got silver fabric paint to cover it. Will highlight elbow and knee pads in silver too to give more of the old style look with a slightly modern twist.

Hey are you making any resin copies of the helmet and shoulder?

I actually have never thought about it to be honest. Now we have a pre-approval on a home loan, maybe this summer I will be working more on the Sontaran as we have made a Sontaran full head mask (shown below) already and wanted to make a few more (slightly different faces) since it was such a hit at the convention last year. So not saying I won't just have not done so or planned to as of yet since I am more concentrated on the mask when I have more space to work on it. (1-bedroom apt. just doesn't work real well)

where did you get the cutout and is it available ? Wife wants me to do this

The pepakura files I used are posted above. They are movie man's files and worked very well for us. Very easy unfold and assembly. Just found a few extra pieces in there that were not needed and confused me at first....but overall, you can figure it out since it is very easy.

Chicago2013-117_zps26c455b7.jpg

That mask looks great!

Thank you! It was the 5th or 6th attempt and very rushed as we were less then a week from the con. It was a must have, so flaws and all it had to go because we wanted to get her picture with Dan Starkey. She was the first Sontaran he has met at a con and was so happy. The con guest all stopped autographs and had to get pictures of her with him and some of them with her also. Wish I had my camera ready at that point!!! Was a priceless moment. Now we want to get 3-4 different mask with small differences like in the show, so we can have a small army of Sontarans wearing normal every day clothing (with a few mods for the neck of course).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back