Doctor Who Matt Smith Costumers - Topman Trousers

That's what they say, and I'm sure they'd get very angry if I disagreed and argue it to death, but I say no to the tapered skinny jean. This pic clearly shows a straight leg. And they're way too roomy for skinny fit. Skinny. In the blog, They say to buy them a size bigger to get the baggy look, but then they wouldn't fit in the waist.

Another issue is that the fabric lends itself toward a casual, khaki type trouser while the construction is very utilitarian like jeans... Notice the shots where you can see his cuff rolled up. The inside fabric is nearly the same as the outside... Denim tends to be radically different on opposing sides. However, the inside leg seam is clearly lapped like a jean stitch. Again, this is a common trait in khakis. Which suggests a casual trouser made from a heavy cotton twill, either in a charcoal or faded black.

Have you discovered any resources for the shirt other than the $$$ pumkiny model? Been thinking about tackling this one myself. I've always wanted to do a Doctor costume, and Although I'm in my mid-thirties, this is the first Doctor that I've shared any resemblance to.

Last edited:
I can't speak as well for the 2nd pair of trousers which to my knowledge are still available on the topman website for $80.00 each. From the pic they seemed to be grey and not black. Confirmation? Aside fomr the eagle eyes on Gallifrey Base I guess we need to ait for the episode to air in quetion to get a better look.

Both the dogstooth and the plain are not denim- they are a poly/viscose blend so they have neither the look or feel of denim.

They do taper though and don't look right as a straight leg. I suggested going a size up from my experience buying to or three pairs of the topman dogstooth trousers. My normal size fit but they fit like standard skinny pants - like they wwre painted on, quite form fitting and NOT Doctor-ish. I went one size up and they had the perefct tapered yet slightly loose fit. So that's why I point people that way but maybe the standard size will fit you right (shrug)?

Your only options on the PS shirts are 1) buy the pumpkiny model 2) wait and see if Magnoli will produce his model (which will still be some $$$ mind you) 3) scour ebay for an original when they crop up (again though $$$ here- the original when new sold in the $140 USD range) 4) find a close enough shirt in color with faint stripes. There isn't really a 'favorite' substitute out there at the moment. You just have to scour around. This last is pretty much what most 11 cosplayers who missed the PS shirts last Aug are doing.

Dave Ward - Are you on Gallifrey Base? You really should be directing your Who costume inquiries (and sales posts) over there as well as here. A lot of the discoveries and finds are made there and then cross posted here.

I can't speak as well for the 2nd pair of trousers which to my knowledge are still available on the topman website for $80.00 each.
They are indeed, which is why I'm asking, because if that's the right pair, it's the only bit of the costume still available for purchase new. I'm kinda curious how someone ID'd them, skinny trousers are so generic, but at the same time, people seem to be really on this.

I'm not sure about the 2nd pair of pants either, still waiting on somebody to buy them to know for sure, but MonOfSteel's dogstooth trousers definitely look like the real deal to me.

As for the shirt, Magnoli recently told me he'll be selling one for $150 just as soon as he gets a swatch of the original copied.

I think so far he's only worn them in Victory of the Daleks. In Vampires he's wearing the jeans with the blue shirt and dark jacket. I kind of consider VotD a non-episode on account of it was so crap, so I don't really care much if those are the real pants.

Forgot this in my last post.

000x968b

Leg looks to flare back out at the bottom. Not sure how many different styles of pants he wears, but these look to be a slim fit, non-tapered.

In other news, I'm working on a jpeg of the shirt stripe pattern. Coming along well so far. Trying to get it repeatable so it will make a nice upload on spoonflower. And yes, I plan on doing both colors.

While I'm all for/addicted to spending that much money on Tennant stuff, I'm trying to practice some self control this time around, so I'm probably going to be making my own shirt. It does look nice though.

I think so far he's only worn them in Victory of the Daleks. In Vampires he's wearing the jeans with the blue shirt and dark jacket. I kind of consider VotD a non-episode on account of it was so crap, so I don't really care much if those are the real pants.

Hear you on 'Victory'. I'm willing to buy a pair of the Topman jeans to see if I can ID them (I'll be able to send them back, after all) but I'm still not sure how to do that, the episode is very dark, black on black kinda thing. Any pointers?

I'd just get the pants in hand and go through the HD copy of the episode looking for similarities in pockets, cuffs, belt loops, closure,etc. The episode was bright enough in places for me to make an accurate copy of Amy's belt, so I'm sure you'll be able to find good shots of the pants in a couple scenes.

The thing with the 2nd pair of trousers is they almost look like a faded black in the main picture they were ID'd from. So I really want a better look to confirm. The black trousers seem to still be up on the Topman site but not the grey ones anymore.

Best of luck to you guys reproducing the shirt fabric on spoonflower. Along the budget options- something I saw someone doing on Gallifrey base was taking a light burgandy triped shirt and using a fabric pen to make the squiggles/waves down each row to give it the right read. Another option to consider if saving money is the priority.

Whichever way you go on the trousers, they are definitely tapered and do not flare out.
http://pics.livejournal.com/honorarydoctor/pic/000ww8k1

Looking through the gallery on the UK BBC site for 'Victory', they do look pretty close and there's nothing there that screams 'no', although there aren't enough details discernible to be sure.

For anybody else looking for close enough trousers for a Matt Smith costume, I just went to H&M to get some screen accurate Tennant undershirts and found a pair of black skinny jeans that match in almost every detail I've seen on screen to the dogtooth trousers. I don't know what the material looks like up close or what kind of stitching detail is on the rear pockets of those, but the fit, material weight, inside cuff color, and hardware all matches perfectly. And they only cost $25.

For anybody else looking for close enough trousers for a Matt Smith costume, I just went to H&M to get some screen accurate Tennant undershirts and found a pair of black skinny jeans that match in almost every detail I've seen on screen to the dogtooth trousers. I don't know what the material looks like up close or what kind of stitching detail is on the rear pockets of those, but the fit, material weight, inside cuff color, and hardware all matches perfectly. And they only cost $25.

Mate, I should get out more. I picked a pair of those up on monday! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back