Doctor Who - K9

B4DW0LF

I'm just about to start my build of K9, I bought the shell (flat packed) and its due to arrive today, which means Im probably not gonna sleep much tonight simply because Im going to be in construction mode.

Not sure if anyone else has build one here but if so would love some advice in regards to finding other parts.

Thanks in advance

Paul

ok SO I got a bulk of the shell put together last night, and today I need to get some filler for the edges and such.

What do you guys suggest as a good 'cost effective' filler? I wanna be able to sand it and smooth everything down when it dries for a really nice finish.

Is it just a case of getting some Spackle?

Ok so heres where I am after two days:

DSC_3116.JPG

DSC_3117.JPG

DSC_3119.JPG

DSC_3120.JPG

DSC_3117+%282%29.JPG

DSC_3120+%282%29.JPG

DSC_3121+%282%29.JPG
DSC_3123+%282%29.JPG

Left the filler to dry over night before sanding it down and giving the edges a nice smooth finish..... hopefully!

Ah K9...it will be very interesting to see how he turns out!

After all, fixing K9 is not like getting parts for a Mini Metro ?

Last edited:
Ah K9...it will be very interesting to see how he turns out!

After all, fixing K9 is not like getting parts for a Mini Metro ?

Funny you should say that because I do have to find myself the Gaiter/bellow from the steering rack of a Mini for the tail....

OK QUESTION TIME:

I have an extra K9 RC toy the 14" one and I was wondering if there is anyway to use the electronics to power a full size version. I understand that the motor will need to be changed but is it possible? or would it be easier to simply build from scratch. I know NOTHING about robotics in this regard so any help is gonna be greatly appreciated.

Paul

I'm no RC expert, but your K9 is big and would need a larger engine to operate him. Your best bet would be to take him to your local hobby store and ask for the most inexpensive option. They may try to sell you on a motor and transmitter, etc. but what you most likely want is to get an existing car and gut it for the motor.

The past 3 days have been slow as far as progress, not only do I have to wait for filler to dry and primer and whatever else but I've come down with a cold but I have been working through it. Just at a pace slower than i would have liked.

Also, this has been quite the learning curve for me, before hand my past builds have been out of wood. K9 is however made of Styrene so the rules are somewhat different. The filler I originally used 'Spackle' which I've used on my other builds DID NOT work the slightest movement of the body and it would flake off. So conducting more research and talking to people here who are in the know I decided to use JB Weld. However I had to get all the Spackle off first, which meant a lot of sanding.

Also although have the main parts for K9 I dont have the little bits, like the ears, the neck the tail even the buttons on the control panel.

the neck I had to order some plastic ducting, down side is the minimum order was for 5 feet. Ordered the 4" diameter tubing from: http://www.mcmaster.com

53145k675p1l.png

Lastly the tail gaiter.... The original was actually the steering rack bellow from a Mini, pretty difficult to find here in the US so I did a quick eBay search and found a sort of universal one, fingers crossed that will be good enough

DAY THREE

DSC_3115.JPG

DSC_3118.JPG

DSC_3180.JPG

DSC_3123.JPG

DAY FOUR

DSC_3158.JPG

DSC_3159.JPG

DAY FIVE

DSC_3183.JPG

DSC_3186.JPG

DSC_3189.JPG

OK Robotics Experts....

For someone on a VERY tight budget I want to make K9 move, and maybe even speak a few phrases. Right now I dont need his ears to move or tail to wag I want something simple. Most parts Im going to look for second hand, maybe someone here might have something I could perhaps purchase? Ill post a WTB in the junkyard

Thanks

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back