Doctor Who - K9

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by B4DW0LF, Mar 1, 2012.

1. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

I'm just about to start my build of K9, I bought the shell (flat packed) and its due to arrive today, which means Im probably not gonna sleep much tonight simply because Im going to be in construction mode.

Not sure if anyone else has build one here but if so would love some advice in regards to finding other parts.

Thanks in advance

Paul

2. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

Cool.

Somebody sells a flat-packed kit?

3. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

ok SO I got a bulk of the shell put together last night, and today I need to get some filler for the edges and such.

What do you guys suggest as a good 'cost effective' filler? I wanna be able to sand it and smooth everything down when it dries for a really nice finish.

Is it just a case of getting some Spackle?

4. Trooper_trent

Trooper_trent Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Philip I think A&A from the r2 builders site sells the k9 kit.

5. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

6. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

Ok so heres where I am after two days:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Left the filler to dry over night before sanding it down and giving the edges a nice smooth finish..... hopefully!

7. theobeau

theobeau Member

Ah K9...it will be very interesting to see how he turns out!

After all, fixing K9 is not like getting parts for a Mini Metro ?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  8. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

Funny you should say that because I do have to find myself the Gaiter/bellow from the steering rack of a Mini for the tail....

9. madprops

madprops Member

That's awesome. Looking forward to seeing this complete!

10. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

I'm having a little difficulty now in regards to hiding the seams,

Whats the best thing to use?

11. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

I always use JB Kwick for my builds. Dries rock hard, does not shrink and sands smooth!

12. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

Perfect I think I have some laying about..... Didnt think of that

13. lucas1138

lucas1138 New Member

Hi who do i contact to get one of these kits???
    Thanks
    Paul

14. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

OK QUESTION TIME:

I have an extra K9 RC toy the 14" one and I was wondering if there is anyway to use the electronics to power a full size version. I understand that the motor will need to be changed but is it possible? or would it be easier to simply build from scratch. I know NOTHING about robotics in this regard so any help is gonna be greatly appreciated.

Paul

15. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

I'm no RC expert, but your K9 is big and would need a larger engine to operate him. Your best bet would be to take him to your local hobby store and ask for the most inexpensive option. They may try to sell you on a motor and transmitter, etc. but what you most likely want is to get an existing car and gut it for the motor.

16. ashden

ashden New Member

17. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

The past 3 days have been slow as far as progress, not only do I have to wait for filler to dry and primer and whatever else but I've come down with a cold but I have been working through it. Just at a pace slower than i would have liked.

Also, this has been quite the learning curve for me, before hand my past builds have been out of wood. K9 is however made of Styrene so the rules are somewhat different. The filler I originally used 'Spackle' which I've used on my other builds DID NOT work the slightest movement of the body and it would flake off. So conducting more research and talking to people here who are in the know I decided to use JB Weld. However I had to get all the Spackle off first, which meant a lot of sanding.

Also although have the main parts for K9 I dont have the little bits, like the ears, the neck the tail even the buttons on the control panel.

the neck I had to order some plastic ducting, down side is the minimum order was for 5 feet. Ordered the 4" diameter tubing from: http://www.mcmaster.com

[​IMG]

Lastly the tail gaiter.... The original was actually the steering rack bellow from a Mini, pretty difficult to find here in the US so I did a quick eBay search and found a sort of universal one, fingers crossed that will be good enough

DAY THREE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DAY FOUR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DAY FIVE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

OK so heres where I am at now:

[​IMG]

Theres still a lot to do but he's looking the part right now...

For full details on the build so far you can follow my website: My Untempered Schism: K-9

Paul

19. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Incredible! :love Love the tin dog!

20. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

OK Robotics Experts....

For someone on a VERY tight budget I want to make K9 move, and maybe even speak a few phrases. Right now I dont need his ears to move or tail to wag I want something simple. Most parts Im going to look for second hand, maybe someone here might have something I could perhaps purchase? Ill post a WTB in the junkyard

Thanks

21. Alric

Alric Well-Known Member

How much does he weigh ? Due to his size if he is light enough you may be able to just mount a remote control car directly under him for a quick result.

22. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

Latest Update:

Life really does have a funny way of getting in the way doesn't it? However, slowly but surely I'm accumulating parts and making little changes. Today I started on something that's been kind of niggling at me since I took him outside for a few photos with the TARDIS.

K-9's Laser

So here is my latest photographic update of what I've been up to today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just a holder designed to hold one of my laser burst pens, eventually I may have it so the pen retract but for now I can simply place the laser in the holder, Ive also made it so that it has a small 'lip' which when the laser is inserted it will hold the on button down.

[​IMG]

Still need to replace the rust that I ended up spraying with the Metallic blue but I decided to take him outside for a quick test run...

[​IMG]

Still not as Remote Controlled as I would like, but like I said before Im collecting the parts I need to do this right....

23. Arkive Dave

Arkive Dave Member

That is so cool !, Just love K-9

24. TheGallery

TheGallery New Member

This is awesome work. Well done, man!

25. SirJediKnightTim

SirJediKnightTim Well-Known Member

Nice job!! I have thought about doing one for a long time.

26. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

wow, thank you guys. I truly appreciate the comments

Paul

27. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

Fantastic work, I must get one for myself

28. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

29. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

Now you've got me wanting to make on of these.

Nicely done!

30. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

Once you start its incredibly addictive, I had the bulk of the body built and painted within two weeks BUT then the electronics and such i keep going back to and adding something. So over the passed 10 weeks Ive been attempting to make him fully remote controlled. After which Ill be adding the voice.

31. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

E Williams likes this.
  32. CY Productions

CY Productions New Member

Looks very good!
    Your doing a fine job.

33. spidyfan

spidyfan Well-Known Member

SWEET!!!