Doctor Who: K-9 that tin dog build

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by CGClone, Jun 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

Always had an infinity for the loveable K-9 ever since my father used to make me watch Doctor Who back in the 80s with Baker as the Doctor on PBS.

I hated Davros, he used to freak me out, but K-9 was always cool, witty and someone you liked. So I set out to build my own remote controlled pup.

Here are some progression photos to show where I am at as of now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously still have to skin the head and the top of his back. Reinforce the interior joints and complete the removable door which will be held on with magnets and joints.

I have the scooter motors, wheels, chain, etc. His remote brain is the Sabertooth 2x25 motor controller being controlled by a Spektrum D6 taken from my plane setup.

His ears will turn and his tail will wag. The top panel will have lights, a monitor in the side and of course his eyes will light up.

Not being put into this build at the moment, but later are the suction cup moving out and head moving up and down, those will remain static until after DragonCon.

Ill post more progress after the holiday weekend. Hope you like!

2. Knightjar

Knightjar Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like a nice, clean build! I'll look forward to seeing all the bells and whistles.

3. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

The plans and some parts.

[​IMG]

The tail cover is a steering gasket, the proper color control panel knobs

[​IMG]

4. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Do you have a good source for the neck tube material? I'm having the worst time finding good stuff.

5. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  6. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

That certainly sounds doable. Are you in the US? Go ahead and order 5' and when you get it, cut it down to two 2.5' sections and PM me. I'll take half of it!

7. Cut Snake

Cut Snake Active Member

Nice clean build. Hope to eventually get around to a K-9 of my own one day....

8. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

Yep in the US. I'm ordering it today. I'll let you know when it gets here.

9. CAndrewNelson

CAndrewNelson Member

Your K-9 is looking great so far!

10. Krisk

Krisk Member

K-9 is cool, looks good so far!

11. Darph Bobo

Darph Bobo Well-Known Member

That is super sweet! Where did you get the plans from? I'd love to do a K-9 of my own!

12. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

Search for Dave Everrett Styrene plans, youll find em.

13. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

Some further updates here:

Head is near completion, just refinements and ear installed. Head with the ear servo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tail servo mech:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back ready to be skinned:
    [​IMG]

Control Panel ready for back after its skinned:
    [​IMG]

Hope to have him ready for primer this up coming weekend.

14. timelordjedi777

timelordjedi777 Well-Known Member

It's looking good. Can't wait to see it finished.

15. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

I tried to find those plans but the site is off line can you help a dude out? I built a full sized B9 Robot from Lost in Space but had to sell him so now I would love to build this guy. He's less money and takes up less room!

16. Boostedblue24

Boostedblue24 New Member

This really does look promising! I've always loved K-9

17. madmax

madmax Sr Member

Hint google Dave Everrett Styrene plans,and seach through the sites,i found them last night,if CGclone doen't want to put a direct link,then i'm gonna follow that lead,another hint,look for a K9 build just like this (exactly like this maybe),follow some links and you will find them

18. Cyberman

Cyberman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking very cool!:love

19. Kestre

Kestre Member

Has anyone been able to find the proper diameter rubber neck piece? I've been told that it's 5.25" in diameter, and that it might have been an old tractor part.

Anyone know of a source for accurate K-9 necks?

20. mado

mado New Member

thanks for the hint ,i found that site the other day.but could not find the link for the plans.got them now:thumbsup

21. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

Check the plans you found and see if there are any parts missing. The set I initially found some time ago were missing some pieces. I have all the instructions if so.

22. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

The rubber tube I am using for the neck has an outer diameter of 4-9/32 and an ID of 4". Its pretty perfect.

The plans are easy to find, I wont link to them as I dont have permission. If you can find them, they are there to download.

And yes, RebelScum, the top of the head and the side door are missing, but they are easy to build, its not hard. Theres no ears, but that didnt stop me either, all those parts are done.

Im to the point where Im filling a few seams, all the servos are done and mounted, just awaiting the fresh batteries and charger to complete the drive train.

23. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

[​IMG]

Heres the mock up without the neck tube on. His head is at an angle, hence appearing a little big, but its correct size.

Excited to get him primed and painted this weekend.

24. Sea Monkey

Sea Monkey New Member

Sweet! Always thought K-9 would be an awesome casemod for a PC.

25. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool. :) Love watching scratch build threads like this unfold!

26. Laamberry

Laamberry Well-Known Member

Wow, that's clean as hell. Looking forward to seeing even more progress.

27. interstait

interstait New Member

Can't wait to see him when he's done. Awesome work.

Will he be remote controlled?

28. interstait

interstait New Member

Sorry, missed the part about the remote control in the original post.

29. dano

dano Well-Known Member

Bah, I've not been on the RPF for ages as I'd forgotten my log in.. if I'd have remembered them a bit earlier I may have been able to help you out- I've just helped out an exhibition with Matt and he had the original prop there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know how recent you are aiming for with the look of your replica, but here's Matt pointing out the new rivets on K-9's head, he's got so fed up of the screws being obvious he decided to make it a design feature!

[​IMG]

In addition we had two other K-9's on display, so we took a group shot after the event had finished and we were packing up! The original prop is in the middle!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope these are of use!

30. davidnagel

davidnagel Well-Known Member

Aww lovely pics - shows how close some reps get eh?

31. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

Nice to see those, thanks for posting those real dog shots. Those other model look like they have the fiberglass casts off the original. Its hard to get those bodies, I would love one, someday LOL

Never noticed the square tubing on the bottom of that one before. Most use the foam rubber pipe insulation, which mine will have.

Im not going for anything specific era wise, I just want a general K-9, altho his plans are based off the Baker Era K-9. I had to take liberties with his head some, but its not noticeable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ears/ear servo goes on tonight!

Almost there. I keep thinking Ill have him to paint sooner than I think, but I truly think this week he gets his paint.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    Pete SSS likes this.
  32. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is the kind of work that really defines what the RPF is all about.
    Fantastic. Utterly fantastic work.

33. Stuffj

Stuffj New Member

I am really impressed. I am wondering though what material you are using to make him out of. Also could you please clarify for this newby what you mean by "skinned".
    Amazing job so far!

Aaron

34. Azurial

Azurial Well-Known Member

sweet! some really nice updates here :D

35. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

GeneralFROSTY - thanks man, that means a lot. I have been putting my heart and soul into him. He is being dedicated to a buddy of mine that is perhaps one of the best Doctor Who/David Tennant costumers/look alikes who is in the hospital fighting for his life.

Stuffj/Aaron - he is made out of mostly 3mil (1/8") styrene with some 1 & 2 mil styrene mixed in.

"Skinned" simply means after you have built a frame work, then you put a clean layer of thinner plastic or material over that frame to give it a "skin". Look at the photos at the beginning of this thread - you'll see the frame of the robots head, it now has a layer of skin on the outside to cover it all up. Make sense?

36. davidnagel

davidnagel Well-Known Member

Wow, this thread is beyond cool. I've always wanted a proper K9 - my A Level dog is ashamed!

37. kelldar

kelldar Well-Known Member

You just keep on impressing me with your work on this :)

38. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

He is all painted and final assembly and the working out of kinks of the remote setup tonight and through the weekend.

Heres the head with the eyes all blazing, very happy with him at this point. More photos tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

39. AliaOfTheKnife

AliaOfTheKnife New Member

This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing your process!

40. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

98% finished, here he is before adding the monitor/trim, bumpers and the metallic "K 9" to the panel side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dave Porter likes this.
  41. Holluba

Holluba Active Member

That is simply amazing! I'm very envious of you now. I've always had a soft spot for this little robot.

What will you be using for the bumpers and the screen edging? Those two items are always a bain for the K9 builders so I'm told.

Holluba

42. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

I already have the bumpers, they dont stump me? They are just plumbing pipe insulation tubes. You can get them in foam or foam rubber from your neighborhood big box hardware store. I choose foam rubber.

The monitor trim will probably be from an automotive store. Its just door or screen trim.

43. Celation

Celation New Member

Styrene? Seriously? Incredible!

Had no idea you could build props of this size and complexity with it.

Amazing build. Really spot on.

44. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member

That looks really great so far! awesome work, and awesome progress. Thanks for posting all of the photos along the way. It's been really fun to see it all coming together.

45. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

I just wet myself. THE MattMunson commented on my build.

Goodnight.

:)

46. ashden

ashden New Member

Having seen this little guy in person, I can attest to this being absolutely stellar work! CGClone has some serious skills.

47. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

48. alexis

alexis Member

great work ! K-9 is very beautiful ! :thumbsup

49. Sparticle

Sparticle Active Member

K-9 seems to be about the same size and shape as my Jack Russell Terrorist, Maximillian.
    Is there any provenance as to what dog K-9 is modeled after?

50. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

No, in an interview from the designer of K9 at BBC, when he did the concept sketches he was completely different looking in the first stages. If I recall correctly, that designer moved on to something else and someone different picked up the final design. He was only meant for one episode when orginally conceived.

As for his size LOL, watch this video, thats my Jack Russell at the end of the video, K9 is twice her size:

Doctor Who K9 Street test - YouTube

He is in the back of my Toyota Sequoia, one of the bigger SUVs on the market in the shot above. Dwarves a normal Jack. My Jack is a Parsons Terrier technically, which is a bigger Jack breed.

My K9 is studio scale, he wasnt small.