Doctor Who: Hartnell's Doctor with a twist

ApophisV

Hi all,

I just "de-lurked" and thought I should share a little bit of my stuff. So here is my Halloween 2013 project: First Doctor Suit in black and white!

--------------------
Update: Just a little pic of the result so far (post Halloween, pre 50th celebration):

doc_2.jpg
--------------------

It's not 100% accurate, but as close as we can get by the few reference pictures I found so far... I have to admit I never watched any of the old series (besides short Youtube clips), shame on me, but as an excuse I just discovered the Doctor (not that popular in Germany which is pretty weird!) this year and it is quite hard to acquire those old episodes if you're not willing to download them illegally. But at an 50th anniversary party in november I'll meet a friend's friend that will bring his HD with all the old goodness for me to copy! :D

Back to the topic: The suit will be completely black / white / grey, as well as the accessories. I have ordered grey contacts and the makeup / hair will also be white / grey. I have no idea if it will look even closely to what I want to achieve, but in the worst case I got a nice early 20th century style suit and mistakes to learn from ;)

Well as far as the progress goes, the trousers are almost finished and the walking cane is WIP. I got little bits and pieces (the ring, clock, monocle which need the B&W-treatment and this afternoon I'm on a shopping trip to get the right (or close to right) cloth for the vest, the jacket and the overcoat. This project tought me that getting the cloth that is close to the pattern AND has at the same time the right strength is very difficult! There are two stores left on my list that sell cloth and if they don't have what I need I'm probably going to cry! :wacko

Anyway, here are some pictures of the trousers (the jacket is only for the show, shoes might be candidates if I can't find better ones, screwdriver has also to be replaced with the 2nd Doctor's version) and the cane (wooden stick covered with expanding foam, covered with worbla, covered with plastidip, to be covered with paint ^^ Oh and the handle is missing, will probably be worbla based as well)

hartnell1.jpgcane1.jpg

Thanks for viewing, constructive criticism and suggestions welcome! :)

Daniel

Last edited:
Re: Hartnell's Doctor with a twist

Hey all,

here's some update on the Hartnell suit progress:
(Warning: Please don't mind the mess, we are right now in the middle of creating two costumes and Halloween decorations and need the creative chaos! :cool)

hartnell_pt2_vest.jpg

The vest is almost finished (only lacking buttons), we had to go with a grey cloth since we weren't able to find a better match. The darker stripes are spray painted with regular black paint from the hardware store, machine washed one time, doesn't look that bad for considering the nonprofessional technique we used ;) It probably won't resist more than one or two more time in the washing machine, so it's life is already doomed. But for Halloween it'll do, we kept the sewing patterns so in the future I plan to make a new one with a more accurate cloth (white-grey instead of grey-grey as it is now)...

As for the shoes, I decided to go with the ones I already got, I cleaned them and used some shoe polish stuff on it, so they are now a lot shinier than when I wore them at the last post. As with the verst: Will do for now, maybe I'll replace them in the future...

Don't mind the trousers lower ends, they still need to be finished, one of the next steps now that the shoe decision is made! :)

As for the bow (?) and the jacket, they are still temporary, after work today I'll visit my local cloth store and get some cloth for the jacket. The coat (and probalby the hat) Hartnell some times was wearing will have to wait until after Halloween.

Yesterday I also got my grey contact lenses, though I am not really satisfied: (On the left: right eye with lens, left one without)

hartnell_pt2_eye.jpg

I hoped for a complete grey print on them, instead they only add grey and black sprinkles to the iris' outer border. My eyes look slightly desaturated with them, at the same time darker. But surely not "black and white". Wearing comfort is also worse than with regular lenses. I ordered some "white vampire lenses" yesterday, I hope they will fit better. :/

Other than this I finally found some lion head emblem I ordered from Amazon and tried to cast it in my best unprofessional manner. My first try with "Worblas Deco Art" was only semi successful because I had to re-heat it to get it off the brooch resulting in some nasty and sticky mess... After cleaning the brooch I tried to cover it with Worbla sheet, that worked better and will also have to do for now (this seems to become the ultimate trade-off Halloween costume ever!), in long terms this is probably the best starting point to get into actual casting techniques which I never did before...

Well thats it for now, thanks for reading! :)

-Daniel

Only a small update since I just found my lenses in the mail after coming home and had to try them immediatelly:

hartnell_pt3_lense.jpg

Those are very white ("Vampire lenses"), but I think they fit a lot better. At sunday we will do a make up test, I guess the final decission, which lenses I'll wear will be done then. :)

Oh my god, Hartnell is my favorite doctor. The whole concept is really cool. Will be watching this closely.

Love me some classic Who! This should be quite impressive when done. If you finish in the next week you should enter our costume contest!

Oh my god, Hartnell is my favorite doctor. The whole concept is really cool. Will be watching this closely.
Thanks! :)

Love me some classic Who! This should be quite impressive when done. If you finish in the next week you should enter our costume contest!

Actually it is a teamwork project of my girlfriend and me. She does the sewing (I'm only assisting with cutting and small and easy tasks I can't mess up with my lack of sewing skills ;)) and I take care for the rest, mainly the props (sonic, monocle, ring, etc.) in this case... So I should not be allowed to enter it since it is not made entirely by me. That's at least how I understood the rules. But I'm not really a comparative guy anyway, so it's completely okay ;) But thanks for the hint! :)

As for progress on the costume, yesterday we started the jacket which is half finished as of now, I'm at work right now. I also started a new walking cane since I wasn't really satisfied with the one I already made (way too bulky). My plan, to create a screwdriver inspired by the second doctor's one worked out well in visual terms, but I wasn't able to fit into batteries so it is not light up as I originally intended it to be. I hope to find some fitting battery case (due to size restrictions I am forced to use tiny knob batteries) in the next days, but that's a big "maybe".

I can't show you any progress pics right now since I'm at work, but I will post some shots later when I am back at home! :)

Actually it is a teamwork project of my girlfriend and me. She does the sewing (I'm only assisting with cutting and small and easy tasks I can't mess up with my lack of sewing skills ;)) and I take care for the rest, mainly the props (sonic, monocle, ring, etc.) in this case... So I should not be allowed to enter it since it is not made entirely by me. That's at least how I understood the rules. But I'm not really a comparative guy anyway, so it's completely okay ;) But thanks for the hint! :)

You would still be okay. Collaborations are alright provided you have permission from the other party to enter. Still though, very nice!

Re: ApophisV's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Hartnell's Doctor with a twist

Okay, first iteration of the costume is finished, or at least complete enough to not be naked ;) Still a lot missing or not as accurate as I hoped (as mentioned before) and I even skipped some parts last minute to get it finished before the party started...

Here are some not so high quality pics, hope to fetch up some better ones from other party participants and maybe I'll do a photoshoot with the costume the next weeks. But this depends on my schedule and especially the schedule of my girlfriend (pictured as her own version of the Bride of Frankenstein in the pics) who needs to do my make up again... Anyway, here are the pictures:

doc_1.jpgdoc_2.jpgdoc_3.JPGdoc_face.jpg

The make-up was done in a rush since the first guests arrived as we were doing it and it came out a lot darker than I hoped, so next time the skin will be a lot lighter and the wrinkles tone won't be darker than the original skin's grey. But I guess we will do some make-up tests before I wear the costume at the 50th celebration event again. Oh and my hair is still a little too short, but that might be a little bit better then too ;)

Oh yes, the gloves were a last-minute solution as well, actually I never thought about my hands and how to get them greyish. Make-up was out of question since I needed to do real life stuff and didn't want to create a huge grey mess at our flat. So we went with white gloves we had lying around which were way too small, but were the best solution we could think of at that situation...

Here are some progress pictures of the jacket:
doc_jacket.jpg
It still needs some finishing touches, especially some buttons are missing. The jacket is pretty heavy and therefore a little hot to wear, so I needn't to close it anyway.

There wasn't any progress on the walking cane sadly, so it was not ready for our Halloween party :( There was so much to do the last days before Halloween (we hosted a party with more or less 60 guests at our 90 m^2 flat) that I simply had to skip that part...
doc_cane.jpg

Here is an overview of the sonic. None lit-up as explained in a previous post:
doc_sonic.jpg

And finally some pics of the brooch I aquired (not worn at Halloween) and the first Worbla copy, of the ring I colored black and a pic of all the shiny accessories I wore:
doc_brooch.jpgdoc_ring.jpgdoc_stuff.JPG

Well and finally the proof picture for contest:
doc_proof.jpg
Hope you guys don't mind me not wearing the whole costume (and especially not the make-up)! ;)

Re: ApophisV's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Hartnell's Doctor with a twist

Update: Just got a picture that was taken shortly after dressing up, make-up fresh and still intact, and I'm holding my accessories!

IMG_4113.JPG

Post 50th update: :)

Due to a very tight real life schedule during the last weeks I had to step back a little from my plans to complete the costume for the 50ths celebration. We had to limit our plans to adding the missing details to the already existing parts only.

So, my girlfriend added some missing buttons to the jacket and did a little more sewing (lower end of the trousers), but that was basically everything that has changed since Halloween.

Here's a view of the whole costume:

1st doc - overview.jpg

For the 50th I retreated from being the greyscale doctor, instead I just sprayed my hair white/grey (my hair is still is a little too short) and we did some aging makeup, with which I was very happy, way more natural than the first try at halloween! :)

1st doc - face.jpg

Now after wearing the costume at two occasions and also viewing some scenes with Hartnell wearing the suit (1st episode, the documentary "Doctor Who - The Doctors Revisited" and various other stuff) I decided to make some changes and additions here and there. I am right now thinking about building a replica of his toolbag to contain the stuff I'm carrying with me since the jacket has only one working pocket (Well, it's smaller in the inside :lol)...

But those are long term plans since I plan to wear the suit now and then, whenever there are opportunities to do so... (Next one is some sort of "crime dinner" theater thingy my company is attending in december as our holiday celebration, they ask their guests to wear fitting clothes or even costumes)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back