Doctor Who "Face Of Evil" Tesh gun build

nathanalaneller

I bought a set of lights & found they blink like the Tesh Gun prop from the Doctor Who episode "Face Of Evil".
Ultra LED.JPG

I started off by making the two spheres in the middle of the gun.

d04-4q-c406.jpg

At first I thought it was a one piece crystal inside a plastic sphere.
After reviewing screencap's & an actual prop image I got from a friend. The crystal is a collection of acrylic decorative rocks for flower vases.

DSCI0615.JPG DSCI0619.JPG

I used a custom Christmas ornement from Hobby Lobby. The pipe is a 1/2 PVC for the stem. I dremeled the aria, super glued the pipe then slowly dremeled a hole flush to the pipe.

DSCI0621.JPG DSCI0622.JPG DSCI0623.JPG

I glued the sphere together then added acrylic rock from Hobby Lobby. I had to use a massage vibrator to set the crystals in tight.

DSCI0624.JPG DSCI0625.JPG

I couldn't get the light threw the crystals so I used 1/4 OD Polyethylene Tube, cut it down the middle & inserted the LED. The foam is to hold the LED & the loose crystals.

DSCI0629.JPG

Attachments

• d04-4q-c547.jpg
    d04-4q-c547.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 403
very nice! I built one of these as a kid using cardboard and ping pong balls. I love classic Who props. I've got a couple I'm working on.

Update:
I just estimated out the angels to the gun using the sphere as a size reference. I drawn out a box frame on a cardboard paper & tried to follow as close as possible to the image. I cut it out & stenciled it to a ply board then cut out 2 side pieces.
Tesh gun meserments.jpgDSCI0631.JPGDSCI0633.JPGDSCI0634.JPG

Now here is were I'm stuck, how do I make the box form?
I don't have a band saw or table saw to cut angled pieces of wood.
Dose anyone have any tips on how to cut angels in wood with a router, dremel, hand saw, or a black & Decker scroll saw (I think that's what is called)?

th

I plan to wood glue all the sides together except for the bottom, that will be wood screwed to get to the battery box.

Last edited:

You can cut angles with that jig saw. but you would probably want to use a clamped strait edge to get a strait cut. a guide for the bottom plate of the saw. and the parts your cutting look like they would be short pieces. so safety Is a big factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:
Before I tell you what I have so far, I have to tell you my home computer has malfunctioned in some way. It wont load properly. It ether freezes on the loading setting screen or it uses a window to type in the name & password to log in, loads then I can't use any of the programs on the desktop or access anything else not even the log off or shut down button.
(I don't want to reinstall the software until I get all my Documents out first.)

Anyway, back to the prop.
I drawn out the sides of the gun, cut them out then cut the angels the best I could using my dermal & sand then down with sander.

DSCI0639.JPG
DSCI0640.JPG
I had trouble with the parts that held the lights. I put the lights on the block to measure them & had spaced them wrong. When I cut the holes & put the lights in they had a big gap between them & there suppose to be touching. I sand down one of the holes closer & had to cut down the sided, along with the rest of the sides I had cut out after the fact.
DSCI0637.JPG
DSCI0644.JPGDSCI0642.JPG

The front tip is fore glued together wood cut outs.
DSCI0641.JPG
DSCI0645.JPG

To screw down the bottom panel I had to cut out fore block pieces to glue & to screw into.
DSCI0646.JPG
DSCI0648.JPG

I cut out the stock & painted it silver. (You think I should use PVC pipe or some sort of plastic for the end of the stock?)

In the screencaps of the back of the gun stock it looks like a plastic piece slid into a cut & bolted down. Ether that or its a..... something I don't know & can't describe.
DSCI0649.JPG

I was thinking of making the guns stock able to bolt on, but the blocks I put in to bolt the bottom panel on blocked off the area. So I thought making it so I can slide on the stock, but it would mean making another stock, cut accurate lines in the wood to slide into, So I decided just to dermal into the back a little & glue the stock in place once I have painted the rest of the gun.
DSCI0650.JPG
DSCI0652.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back