Doctor Who Davros

Redual

I promised a friend that I would make them a Davros if they could get Tom Baker to autograph my Dalek's dome. Well, they did. So, as the weather here is still a bit chilly I started with something that I could do indoors...the head sculpt.

It is supposed to resemble the original Wisher Davros but has some small changes. Overall I'm quite pleased with it considering that I'm only a beginner at sculpting.

My intention is to make an Ultracal mold and make a latex mask. I'm a bit concerned about the ears being a problem so any advice on how to deal with them would be appreciated.

Davros3.jpgDavros2.jpgDavros.jpg

Michael

This is really really good. I love Davros, and poor Michael Wisher kind of gets forgotten even though his performance brought the character to life. Excellent work.

Looks great, so far and is showing a lot of promise....

DAVROS+CLOSEUP.jpg

Needs to be wider though with less chin and much more nose... John Friedlander, who sculpted the original, always exaggerated the main features in his masks.

300881_2455838000874_508638337_n.jpg
This is the Davros mask I made over 15 years ago...

Attachments

• 306945_2455839040900_1188711427_n.jpg
    306945_2455839040900_1188711427_n.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 170
great post! The Tom Baker Davros made what appeared to be frail, a terribly evil and powerful character.

Michael Wisher did certainly give a great performance as Davros and remains my favorite incarnation of the character to this day.
I've made some changes as per suggestions by Cyberman. Still in a rough state at the moment but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Davros4.jpg

Michael

See a big improvement... if you allow me I've scribbled over your Davros image to hopefully illustrate a few mods that could help improve the accuracy even more...

DAVedits1.jpg2096956-genesis_2.jpg

The main thing is the neck should be very skinny and the chin reduced even more.. the cheek bones widened more. I have a lot of hope for this sculpt you're doing that's why I'm trying to help as much as I can. You clearly have a lot of talent. ;)

A few more changes. The eye was a little too high also too large so I've lowered it slightly and made it smaller. The brow line is now lower and the other suggested changes have been made. I've not dealt with the neck yet as it's all the sculpt is standing on at this stage so the bigger the better.

I think that the head could do with a bit of filling out at the top sides. Rubbish quality photo but it gives an idea of what changes have been made. Thanks for the input!

Davros6.jpg

Michael

Looking much better... glad you noticed the eye positioning...

When photographing your sculpt stand about 6ft away and zoom in otherwise you will get lens distortion ;)

How are the side views looking.... any comparison shots?

Last edited:
first davros good
second Davros BETTER! maybe straighter eye slits, more contour lines.

You could also stop here and people still gonna likey

Thanks JPH!
I've just had another play as I sneaked away from work early. Filled the head out a bit more and brought the brow forward a touch.

I think I'm getting close!

Davros10.jpgDavros9.jpgDavros8.jpgDavros7.jpg

Michael

Attachments

• Davros11.jpg
    Davros11.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 169
Ahhh the corners of the brow are to swept back, now - There were ok before.... Check the the scribbles I've made ;)

DAVcomp4.jpgDAVmod2.jpgDAVmod3.jpg

And here's some more helpful reference used ;)....

p00y1chb.jpg06+Davros.pnggenesis-of-the-daleks1.jpgp00y0clr.jpg

Also one other little thing.... Imagine where the eyelids are there's actually an eyeball under there.... At the moment its to flat - you need to make that small area slightly concave or bludgy.. Check the lighting in that area ;)

Yours is already looking better than the one I made 15 years ago... you can easily make yours screen accurate with a bit more effort

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed the brow after I posted the pics yesterday. Corrected now along with some more detail changes.

Here is today's progress. I'm very happy that I don't do this for a living as I'd be very poor by now!

Davros11.jpgDavros12.jpgDavros13.jpg

The ears, The ears are all wrong! It took me a whole evening to do those ears.

Michael

That looks fab now and you certainly could make a living doing sculpture, Michael... People pay more for quality and accuracy and if you get a reputation for top stuff you'll get the highest prices paid.

Very well done! Now lets see this ugly dude get some skin details and its a wrap :)

PS.... join us on the Doctor Who costume and prop builders group on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/511449668949745/

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back