Doctor Who Christmas Special 2011

I enjoyed it. I really did.

I was afraid that it was going to be, as the title suggests, a CON rip off. There were a couple of similarities there, but nothing that actually mattered to the story. I do wish Mr. Moffat took the Christmas specials a little more seriously than he does though. It's like he thinks that because it's a Xmas Special, it should be just a bit sillier, and completely removed from the overall story he's trying to tell.

All that aside though, anybody else get a big smile when the military trio announced their home planet? Androzani Major.

All that aside though, anybody else get a big smile when the military trio announced their home planet? Androzani Major.

Yeah, I liked that ref!

I liked the episode. Not quite as much as last year's. It's fairly in line with all the Christmas eps. I loved the message about mothers. :)

Big nod to the Fith Doctor era...

Nice.

All in all I enjoyed it for what it was....new Who. But yeah, they can lay off the comedy aspect of it now. Its getting pretty old.

JK3

I enjoyed it, but I agree, any real sense of peril is gone.
But I think the number one thing that bothers me the most about Smith's Doctor, is how he pulls out the sonic screwdriver every 30 seconds. It's gotten to the point where it's just a meaningless act.

Forget Let's Kill Hitler, how about we kill Moffat? Ugh. I think that was one of the worst episodes of DW I've ever seen, second only to "Fear Her."

And honestly, can we PLEASE stop re-using so many DW Cliches? I know Moffet is a frequent visitor to his own well, but it's just getting ridiculous. If I hear one more use or permutation of "timey wimey" I just might scream. It was neat and interesting once. Once, moffat. Let it go. Come up with something new. Don't beat the old stuff into the ground. Oh wait, that's what you do.

Sad that they wasted what will be the last hour of Doctor Who for a very long time on that episode. While I'm a big fan of "low stakes" adventures, this one just missed the mark. It was 100% predictable from the start how it was going to end, and I'm tired of someone's imagination or heart being the deus ex machina. Bad enough when Amy talked the robot bomb out of destroying the earth by reminding him of a previous infatuation. oy!

Bad storyline aside, I'm also exhausted by the Doctor. He has changed from a wise-cracking oddball into a babbling neurotic. Moffat just keeps pressing down that gas pedal harder and harder, hoping he'll eventually strike gold.

Overall, the character interplay was just lame. They left no T uncrossed, no I undotted. Every line of dialog was a set up for a pathetic payoff a few minutes later. "But you need years and years of training to learn how to drive one of these!!!!" Tears of happiness indeed.

Gee, didn't see that next shot coming. oy.

Repeat.

I enjoyed it, but I agree, any real sense of peril is gone.
But I think the number one thing that bothers me the most about Smith's Doctor, is how he pulls out the sonic screwdriver every 30 seconds. It's gotten to the point where it's just a meaningless act.

It's exactly because of its overuse and ability to do everything, that I've lost any interest in that particular prop. He uses it for everything now, which is why I suppose this incarnation is so thick and childish. He doesn't have to think anymore.

Slowly and surely, the series is alienating both adults and older kids. I know everyone will say the series is aimed at kids, but now the acting and scripts are aimed at very very young kids. It comes to something when a six year old loses interest because she thinks it is, and I quote "too baby-ish". It is supposed to be prime time family drama. Viewers used to have to think about what was happening, now, if they do, they find nothing actually makes sense. The endings are so predictable, the monsters rendered impotent and DW universe history re-written to satiate the need for Moffat to stamp his mark on the series for all the wrong reasons.

I had such high hopes for him after the brilliant stories he wrote before, but since taking over he has turned a great character into a gibbering idiot, the brilliant Angels into the opposite of what they first were, and the Daleks into crude garishly coloured re-imaginings from a brilliant design that almost everyone agreed upon. Now the TARDIS gives birth to sonics en masse, actually has an invisibility cloak (what's the Chameleon Circuit for then?), the companions have become more important to the stories and even both series so far. The Doctor has become a sidelined character that is predictable and not even the one that solves the problems in the vast majority of stories. I can't abide the way he can now survive things like space, vacuums and all other manner of stuff that would previously have killed him. It was subtle things that stopped him from being human and more of an alien species, but it was his close resemblance to humans with a real humanity that made us identify with him. Now all that has been thrown out so that something cool looking can be thrown on screen. Story sacrificed for the sake of visuals. All of a sudden the whole DW universe has become claustrophobic, repetitive and has lost the epic scope it once had.

Last edited:
Moffat has been ruining Doctor Who for me since he took over. He needs to go. Matt Smith needs to go too because he's been so tainted by the writing and episodes. Time for a fresh start with a new Doctor and new lead, but things NEED to change or we'll have nothing very soon.

Everything Asp said, times four.

I actually like Matt Smith. I think he's a decent actor, and manages what he is given. It's the WRITING that is killing that show.

In my mind, it's clear as day that Moffat is a good writer when someone is holding his leash. Under RTD, he penned some of the most memorable episodes. I fear this is undeniable.

But once he was cut loose, he took every little success he had under RTD and beat them into the ground through repetition and overuse. For example. River Song. She should have NEVER shown up again after the library episodes. Those were GREAT episodes, and left you wondering what the heck that was all about. But Moffat took that character, and beat her into the ground with overuse and repetition. "Spoilers" was funny the first time. Not the fiftieth time. Even though her continuity made VERY little sense on her initial appearance, your imagination was free to fill in the gaps. But now the continuity has become so disjoint that you just have to reboot the universe for it to make sense.

Oh wait, we did that. Nevermind.

Then there's the weeping angels. Another "character" that we should have NEVER heard from again. They were FANTASTIC in "Blink", and part of what made them so amazing was that you were left wondering. Now they are dumb.

Timey wimey. Appearing soon in an episode near you. oy.

Daleks. Already discussed.

Anyhow, on and on and on. I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said, but it just makes me miffed because the show was SOOOOOOOO good for a few years. Ack. I give up. Maybe over the next year, while there is no doctor who to watch, my interest will rebuild.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the cut-and-paste music too. The score is so unoriginal it stings. They have beaten that "the doctor is now thinking!!!!!" musical cue into the frickin' ground.

Go back and watch eccleston, and the first tennant year. Man, so much good music. Original songs, every character had their own cycle of cues. So good.

It was utterly terrible. I gave up around halfway. Falling from orbit? Really?

The 4th's regeneration was when he fell from a radio tower, and now he survives falling from orbit? It's terrible.

Seriously? You're watching a TV show about a time-traveling alien with a time machine that's bigger on the inside, and "Falling from orbit" was your quitting point? I mean towing the Earth back into place was "realistic"?

Doctor Who is not, nor has it ever been, Science Fiction. It's Fantasy in a space setting.

It's not even like it's without precident. A suit falling from orbit? Been done tons of times, not the least of which is Halo 3. The Doctor being able to breathe with less air (or in space) has been done before in Tennant episodes.

It's been getting more stupid for a long time. If he can survive landing from space, breathing nothing (while talking) and having the sonic screwdriver do anything it needs to at any given time, where's the risk? Where's the danger?

It's not fantasy now, it's a bad comedy skit show. I appreciate you're liking it, and you're welcome to. But please don't try and tell me it's good. It used to be good.

I think the Xmas Special distractors have faulty memories. When were any of the Xmas specials all that special from beginning to end?

The doofus killer Santa Clowns in not one but two outings? Not looking like they were remotely set at Xmas time with Donna dripping with sweat and green trees everywhere in "The Runaway Bride"? "Borrowing" Douglas Adams' Starship Titanic and THEN retelling "The Poseidon Adventure" with a plucky spikey red melon? The Earth is zapped to the other side of the Universe and towed home by the TARDIS? An enormous steam-punk robot destroys chunks of London and no one remembers it? Or the Master is resurrected straight out of "Harry Potter" and the whole world turns into him?

Thing is all those stories had bits we still liked despite the parts that made us groan. There were bits of all those episodes that were actually to use the word "FANTASTIC!"

Look, I didn't like stuff like LOST or the recent Terra Nova, but I don't go and slag off on it on the board here. Don't even get the whole Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings things, but I'm happy for the fans of that stuff they got whatever it was they wanted from their films and stuff.

For all the shortcomings of the rebooted Doctor Who since Davies brought it back and Moffat took it over, I invite you to look at years of Turner's version from terrible stories that started with Tom Baker's last season and went on through a hit and miss run for Davison and went totally in the toilet with Colin and Sylvester. Watch "Delta and the Bannermen" and tell me that's better than the lowest moment of new Who like "Fear Her".

At least that one had little ball-bearings on the cupcake you could eat.

Chill out guys. And have a Happy New Year.

It's been getting more stupid for a long time. If he can survive landing from space, breathing nothing (while talking) and having the sonic screwdriver do anything it needs to at any given time, where's the risk? Where's the danger?

It's not fantasy now, it's a bad comedy skit show. I appreciate you're liking it, and you're welcome to. But please don't try and tell me it's good. It used to be good.

Define "a long time"?

I'm not saying the Christmas Special was a mastery of TV storytelling, but seriously, I can't see how this episode could "push you over" if you've been watching the new series.

There's never BEEN any danger or risk. I don't know, it's just that the things you're complaining about has always been true about Doctor Who. It's a fantastic, fantasy story. The point is about adventure and the human spirit.

Personally I loved this year's Christmas special. It was a whole lot better than A Christmas Carol last year. Last year I thought I was going to like it because Michael Gambon was in it, but I didn't like it that much. I loved The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe though. It was really good. I loved that the harvester people were from Androzani Major and how the Doctor mentioned Jabe from The End of the World back when Eccleston was the Doctor.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back