Doctor Who Christmas Special 2011

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by 0neiros, Dec 15, 2011.

1. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

2. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Fantastic!

3. Tremas

Tremas Sr Member

Finally, a reason to NOT go to the family get-together at the holidays! :D

4. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

Anticipation level: High :cool

5. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man I've missed the Doctor!

6. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

7. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

True. But Karen's soooo gorgeous. :cry

I just hope the next companion isn't all "I love the Dohctah" like Rose and Martha

9. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

whoo hoo! I Enjoyed breaking my parents into Doctor Who last Christmas (I basically demanded they watch the special with me) and now this year won't be a chore to get them to watch it at all!
    Christmas day brings more than just gifts under the tree for DW fans!
    I am an Amy Pond supporter but do understand that it is time to move on - hopefully, the next companion will have a very strong introduction like Amy.

10. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

They are the Williams, not the Ponds. That's so annoying.

11. Tremas

Tremas Sr Member

I agree; love the characters, but the show's mainly about the Doctor.

But, if they popped up in a later series, I wouldn't mind. :)

12. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

I think Amy has been the most well-rounded companion since Donna (regarding back-story, etc) and probably my favourite since Rose, but maybe it is time for the Ponds (Rory took her name) to live their lives. So long as: a) We get to see them again in a special some time in the future and b) Karren Gillan is still on TV in something.

13. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Santa Moffat gives the best gifts.

14. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Really? Few people really care about Rory. It's all the Legs that we're interested in. As much as she pushes him around, he might as well change his name anyway.

15. Bootlegger137

QFT. If I was married to her, she could call me anything she wanted...just not late to bed. :love :lol :behave

16. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My favorite ginger :cry

17. GeneralFROSTY

Aint that the truth!!

18. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

The Doctor: Amelia! From now on I shall be leaving the kissing duties to the brand new Mr. Pond.
    Rory: No. I'm not Mr. Pond. That's not how it works.
    The Doctor: Yeah it is.
    Rory: Yeah. It is.

19. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Going to be a shame to see the Ponds go, it was a nice change to have some consistency of companionship after Ten's revolving door.

20. Hovito loincloth

Hovito loincloth Well-Known Member

Another Moffat schmaltz fest. I was looking for great things when he took over but I'm beginning to miss Russell Davies now. If anyone says the last one was a "great reinterpretation of Dicken's Christmas Carol" I will find them and stick a flying shark where it hurts.

21. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Never knew what people's problem with Davies was. The only issue I ever had was that he's pretty much incapable of writing, or guiding other writers, to an ending. The reintroduction of the Master? Brilliant. The wrap-up episode with Dobby-Doctor? Noooooooooot so much.
    Yeah, the Pond's were amazing companions, particularly Rory, but that schtick has become a little worn out, so "farewell" but not "good-riddance". More concerned about meeting River again, as that character was NEVER welcome.

22. Risu

Risu Master Member

Doesn't anybody else feel like Moffat's Xmas episodes are INCREDIBLY lazy? First Christmas Carol and now Narnia? At least I like Christmas Carol, not so much a fan of Narnia. Can't he just come up with a new plot instead of slapping the Doctor into somebody else's book?

23. Bootlegger137

I heard the 2012 Christmas special was going to be set around teen romance and angst among vampires and werewolves. :rolleyes

24. Jodo Kast 3

Jodo Kast 3 Well-Known Member

At this point, I`ll take any new Who I can get.

Missing it waay too much.

JK3

25. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Since he took over, a lot of the entire series is pretty weak.

26. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

I don't know where the heck you've been living or what show you've been watching, but for a LOT of people Rory surpassed Amy as 'awesome companion'. Ever since the 5th season finale, he's been catching up. I think the moment he finally surpassed Amy for good was in the mid-season finale when he showed up on the Cybership dressed as a Roman. From there on out it was "F-YEAH Rory!!!!"

27. GeneralFROSTY

Count me in as an Amy/Rory supporter!
    I'm going to be sad to see the characters bow out as they helped keep a 'romantic comedy' angle to the show without having to force a romance angle on the Doctors character (ala Rose).
    IMO, the next companion should be a kid - how fun a story dynamic would it be to see the Doctor's adventures through the eyes of a character similar to young Amy Pond?
    Whichever route Moffat takes, I am very excited for the Christmas special and for all that season 7 brings!

28. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Intentionally taking along a child with him? I don't think even the Doctor is that irresponsible.

29. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

But he WAS going to take Amelia at what 7 years old? to go along with him.

30. Risu

Risu Master Member

You'll get no argument from me on that point. I think everybody knows how I feel about that, though. I just felt this particular flaw needed pointing out.

31. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

AGREED. Although I think that the run with Amy and Rory sort of exorcised that little demon. It was getting a bit tiresome.

Yes, but...

As much as I love Rory, and as much as he can kick * when necessary, the thing that gets me is that we haven't had a male companion who could actually hold his own without looking like a doofus at least half the time in ages. I get that the Doctor is supposed to be the hero, but it'd be nice to see him bring along a guy who isn't made to be the fool at least half the time. I get why they do this, of course. They bring female companions to counterbalance the Doctor himself, and that's cool, but when was the last time we had a competent male companion? Jack Harkness was the last one who was consistently competent and he was more an on-again/off-again companion (and also in love with the Doctor himself).

Male companions seem to generally be made to be at least partially useless most of the time. Adric, Turlough, Harry (although I haven't seen a ton of serials with him), Mickey, etc. They redeem them occasionally, a la Mickey and Rory, but the rest of the time they're the butt of the jokes. That, to me, is getting just as old as "Doctor I lurv yooooou."

Anyway, i think Amy and Rory have been good companions but it's time to hang it up. I thought, after the end of last season, that's exactly what was going to happen. When the Doctor drops them off and tells them to go live a happy life, I thought that was it. I mean, how many times can they beat the odds?

32. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

OK this flat out is my favorite Matt Smith Episode. I want the Doctor to redo my house, complete with a Lemonade tap.

33. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

Eeeeehhhh.... I guess I don't throw Rory in the same pot as Mickey. Yes, at first he was totally Mickey, but I think he turned it around pretty quickly.

I guess I make a distinction between being able to "hold their own" in a fight, and "hold their own" as a character. The former, it took Rory a while to do, the latter he caught on much quicker. Even with his "first" appearance as a companion with Vampires of Venice, he was starting to already grow into a larger role than Mickey ever was.

Consider this: Why do we remember The Doctor? Because he's a magical alien. We remember Jack because he can't die. We remember Rory as the boy who waited 2000 years for his sweetheart. That's almost instant character escalation right there. His appearances in the second season (my two personal favorites were the "Good Man Goes to War" and the "The Girl Who Waited" (which I think was actually more about Rory than it was Amy) gave Rory FAR deeper charter development than Jack ever got (at least on Who...).

Don't get me wrong: I think there is a TON of interest in Jack, but as a developed character, Rory was FAR more interesting.

34. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but it's easily an awesome episode.

I was disappointed that it wasn't quite as "magical" as I was hoping.

35. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

I didn't like it quite as much as "A Christmas Carol" but that was nice. I'm glad that it ultimately wasn't as much of a Narnia adaptation as I'm sure some people feared. Also pleased to see another Christmas episode featuring "healer" Doctor rather than "warrior" Doctor.

36. Hovito loincloth

Hovito loincloth Well-Known Member

Awful, awful episode. No internal logic at all. Just a load of schmaltzy half baked themes badly stitched together by Moffat. My two sons who love Doctor Who wandered off half way through it was that appalling! Please can somebody get a decent script writer.

37. Asp9mm

Asp9mm Well-Known Member

Par for the course with the Captain Jack Sparrrow/Mr Bean Doctor we now have. there is no danger anymore in Doctor Who, because when it builds up Smiths Doctor makes some daft quip or engages in some irrelevant childishness which just diffuses whatever danger you thought anyone was in. The drama has been taken away from the show completely. Too many of these stories have the same ending where all you have to do is think of love and bunnies and fluffy puppies to make the threat go away. An unintelligent mess of a story. Shame, Moffat was my favourite writer before he took over.

EDIT: I've just asked my little girl (6) what she classes various DVDs as. It's interesting to see she classes Tom Bakers DVDs as horror or drama, while she classes Season 5 of NuWho as comedy. She didn't want Season 6 for Christmas, which surprised me as she loves DW. Even she thinks it has become too silly now. Although she thinks Ray Mears is boring, so she isn't always right.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  38. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

It was utterly terrible. I gave up around halfway. Falling from orbit? Really?

The 4th's regeneration was when he fell from a radio tower, and now he survives falling from orbit? It's terrible.

39. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

If you'd bothered to watch you'd have discovered that the suit was designed for that and not only protected him but 'repaired' him, too.

40. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pretty bad, and I think all the comments are on the nose, but still somewhat more enjoyable than the ghastly sugar coated drivel of last year's special.

41. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

I enjoyed it. I really did.

I was afraid that it was going to be, as the title suggests, a CON rip off. There were a couple of similarities there, but nothing that actually mattered to the story. I do wish Mr. Moffat took the Christmas specials a little more seriously than he does though. It's like he thinks that because it's a Xmas Special, it should be just a bit sillier, and completely removed from the overall story he's trying to tell.

All that aside though, anybody else get a big smile when the military trio announced their home planet? Androzani Major.

42. letmebestormy

letmebestormy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, I liked that ref!

I liked the episode. Not quite as much as last year's. It's fairly in line with all the Christmas eps. I loved the message about mothers. :)

43. Jodo Kast 3

Jodo Kast 3 Well-Known Member

Big nod to the Fith Doctor era...

Nice.

All in all I enjoyed it for what it was....new Who. But yeah, they can lay off the comedy aspect of it now. Its getting pretty old.

JK3

44. IronCostumer

IronCostumer Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain how the Doctor survived in space rocketing toward earth without a space suit? That part really bothered me.

45. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

I'd assume a binary vascular system enables him to hold his breath long enough.

46. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Does it allow him to speak in a vacuum too? That part bothered me, but I quickly got over it.

47. DrkMatter

DrkMatter Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it, but I agree, any real sense of peril is gone.
    But I think the number one thing that bothers me the most about Smith's Doctor, is how he pulls out the sonic screwdriver every 30 seconds. It's gotten to the point where it's just a meaningless act.

48. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Forget Let's Kill Hitler, how about we kill Moffat? Ugh. I think that was one of the worst episodes of DW I've ever seen, second only to "Fear Her."

And honestly, can we PLEASE stop re-using so many DW Cliches? I know Moffet is a frequent visitor to his own well, but it's just getting ridiculous. If I hear one more use or permutation of "timey wimey" I just might scream. It was neat and interesting once. Once, moffat. Let it go. Come up with something new. Don't beat the old stuff into the ground. Oh wait, that's what you do.

Sad that they wasted what will be the last hour of Doctor Who for a very long time on that episode. While I'm a big fan of "low stakes" adventures, this one just missed the mark. It was 100% predictable from the start how it was going to end, and I'm tired of someone's imagination or heart being the deus ex machina. Bad enough when Amy talked the robot bomb out of destroying the earth by reminding him of a previous infatuation. oy!

Bad storyline aside, I'm also exhausted by the Doctor. He has changed from a wise-cracking oddball into a babbling neurotic. Moffat just keeps pressing down that gas pedal harder and harder, hoping he'll eventually strike gold.

Overall, the character interplay was just lame. They left no T uncrossed, no I undotted. Every line of dialog was a set up for a pathetic payoff a few minutes later. "But you need years and years of training to learn how to drive one of these!!!!" Tears of happiness indeed.

Gee, didn't see that next shot coming. oy.

Repeat.

49. Cadeian

Cadeian Active Member

^ Yup. That about sums it up for me too, which really bums me out.

50. Asp9mm

Asp9mm Well-Known Member

It's exactly because of its overuse and ability to do everything, that I've lost any interest in that particular prop. He uses it for everything now, which is why I suppose this incarnation is so thick and childish. He doesn't have to think anymore.

Slowly and surely, the series is alienating both adults and older kids. I know everyone will say the series is aimed at kids, but now the acting and scripts are aimed at very very young kids. It comes to something when a six year old loses interest because she thinks it is, and I quote "too baby-ish". It is supposed to be prime time family drama. Viewers used to have to think about what was happening, now, if they do, they find nothing actually makes sense. The endings are so predictable, the monsters rendered impotent and DW universe history re-written to satiate the need for Moffat to stamp his mark on the series for all the wrong reasons.

I had such high hopes for him after the brilliant stories he wrote before, but since taking over he has turned a great character into a gibbering idiot, the brilliant Angels into the opposite of what they first were, and the Daleks into crude garishly coloured re-imaginings from a brilliant design that almost everyone agreed upon. Now the TARDIS gives birth to sonics en masse, actually has an invisibility cloak (what's the Chameleon Circuit for then?), the companions have become more important to the stories and even both series so far. The Doctor has become a sidelined character that is predictable and not even the one that solves the problems in the vast majority of stories. I can't abide the way he can now survive things like space, vacuums and all other manner of stuff that would previously have killed him. It was subtle things that stopped him from being human and more of an alien species, but it was his close resemblance to humans with a real humanity that made us identify with him. Now all that has been thrown out so that something cool looking can be thrown on screen. Story sacrificed for the sake of visuals. All of a sudden the whole DW universe has become claustrophobic, repetitive and has lost the epic scope it once had.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011